Took the lid off......

Decided to take the lid off air take. All I have to say is WOW......the noise, the increase in lower down torque...couldn't stop driving it today.

Gonna mod the lid in some way...Think my just cover the intake with a K&N filter soak.

LOL, i used to take it off my 1.1 106 a few years back. Started taking it off now and again but eventually just left it off cos the sound was incredible, sounded just like a 1100cc motorbike past 5000rpm. Probably ****ed the engine a bit though with no filter :innocent:
May have to try it on my 200 :biggrin:

So what happens when the car warms up and sucks in the hot air as there is no air box to prevent the heat soak?

So what happens when the car warms up and sucks in the hot air as there is no air box to prevent the heat soak?

heat soak is a load of ******** realy...... if your stuck in traffic and then accelerate away yes then it will use hot air... but on full throttle............ how long you rekon itll take to suck in allll that hot air form the engien bay and replace it with cold air agen :wink:

1.0 litre per rpm ( if you had 100% volumetric efficiency), 8000 rpm = 8000 litres per minute

following my drift

i rekon that big chunky aluminium inlet attached to a very hot engien will ahve more effect on intake temperatures that where your air filter is

heat soak is a load of ******** realy...... if your stuck in traffic and then accelerate away yes then it will use hot air... but on full throttle............ how long you rekon itll take to suck in allll that hot air form the engien bay and replace it with cold air agen :wink:

1.0 litre per rpm ( if you had 100% volumetric efficiency), 8000 rpm = 8000 litres per minute

following my drift

i rekon that big chunky aluminium inlet attached to a very hot engien will ahve more effect on intake temperatures that where your air filter is

If that's the case what is the need in enclosed air filters, the benefit of having the filter surrounded in carbon fibre etc.

We go further to heat wrap, exhaust shields... what on earth is the point in all of these if what your saying is the case....

If this is all just to prevent heat soak in traffic then why do race cars bother with any of it? Surely the only benefit would be off the line, pretty pointless then is it not?

Decided to take the lid off air take. All I have to say is WOW......the noise, the increase in lower down torque...couldn't stop driving it today.

Gonna mod the lid in some way...Think my just cover the intake with a K&N filter soak.

This is the line I have been thinking on after doing the trials with the apollo, I forgot to get a set of dyno runs done with the panel open. I know Ktec tried something similar when they were doing trials for the megane induction setup.

My other option is to enlarge the air intakes on the standard air box but there isnt a lot of room!!

you could do the old rs turbo mod and fit spacers to the bonnet brackets to lift the back of the bonnet up to get some air to the intake

If the panel filter is left in place there shouldnt be an issue. All we are doing is is adding another feed like the one the acoustic valve adds at higher throttle....

whoops, mis leading what i wrote...... wasnt saying its pointless, im just saying this from a POV not as a fact... :smile:

just in teh case of the clio3 there are many items which create heat within the engine bay and with its large inlet manifold thats above the engine ( heat rises) i would see the air filter not having the largest affect on heat soakage but more of the bulkier items that soak heta up but take tiem to loose it again

so yes its all benificial........ but each item to prevent heat soak has a very very very small affect

so if you have many items to prevent it the difference is noticable.... i.e heat wrapped intake hoses and heat wrapped exhaust and heat wrapped intake manifold or c.f intakes cold air feeds etc etc

that make sense, lol :smiley:

unless ur reversing i cant see the benefit

i take it youve never seen aerodynamics then, the theory is air will travel up the bonnet and then back under the bonnet, most drag cars use similar methods using big bonnet vents that face the windscreen.

i take it youve never seen aerodynamics then, the theory is air will travel up the bonnet and then back under the bonnet, most drag cars use similar methods using big bonnet vents that face the windscreen.

induction cowel, :wink:

its all to do with high pressure/low pressure

think the lancia intergrale got it right with having the vent right at the front of the bonnet where the lowest pressure is in affect suckingt he air out teh engine bay

Most aftermarket closed air filter kits are not designed to reduct induction temp in most cases. Most are closed to control air flow.

Just run with and ODM meter plugged in and monitor AFR and Induction temp live.

The plenum chamber and Inlet mani is way more concern if thinking about heat soak. Hold your hand on that after a drive all the air has to go through that before entering anyway important.

Absolutely no chance of a stone getting sucked in IMO.

induction cowel, :wink:

its all to do with high pressure/low pressure

think the lancia intergrale got it right with having the vent right at the front of the bonnet where the lowest pressure is in affect suckingt he air out teh engine bay

didnt know the lingo, just the basic theory, but good one mate.

i dont think i would do it personally, but would be good for track days/drag strip racing to keep engine bay temps down.

The idea being the hot 'high pressure' air in the engine bay can escape from under the bonnet, over the windscreen. Very popular in jap car tuning too (or was!).

Of course, the 200 has air ducts in the wings for this very reason, I believe?

Rich

Actually that is the best way to draw in cold air, it works like a convertable, if u have the roof down and the windows up the way the wind blows in is from behind. Hence why when you buy wind delfectors it prevents this from happening.

Lifting the back of the bonnet by the hinges will draw in cold air from outside rather than the hot air that has come past the engine>

Bonnet lifters will increase air into the engine bay.

Also as long as the filter isn't removed (which I hope is the case) there is no chance of stones etc being sucked into the engine regardless off whether it can work its way up there in the first place. The filter is at the back of the airbox rather than the front. So is still effective lid on or off, you would need to worry about it coming loose though as its normally wedged shut by the lid.

Im experimenting cutting holes out of the filter lid or covering the intake with a K&N filter sock to stop the dust. I don't know the science (I'll leave that to clever people on here), all I know is there is no doubt the engine pulls stronger getting more air into it. I guess thats NA engines for you....and the sound!!!!!