Time To Sort My 197 Out!

Hello Everyone...

Sorry about this, I know its only meant to be an introduction and its 11pm on a Sunday night but ive got to poor out my two years of built up rs emotions to somebody....

A couple of weeks after my 19th birthday, I part-ex'd my black 172 (That I Adored) for a Glacier White 197 Cup, 2008 (57) Reg, 22K, 1 Previous Owner, £13K.

Optional Extras: Recaro's, Spoiler & Speedline Gloss Black Alloys.

Two years on from then and my 197 is in need of some desperate attention.

Ive pretty much ran it into the ground. Ive used it for working in etc, and the clock is now up to 55,000 miles, which for a car that is only just gone out of its 3 year warranty, is pretty high and 7,000 miles PAST its 48K service due date!

Also found out after I brought it that the 1 previous owner was motoring research, and the 22k was helped along by the trips to Bedford, Spa and the Nurburgring, aswell as what looks like finland. Now although this means my car has probably seen more of Europe than I have, and there's 105 pictures on msn as evidence to this:

http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=148049562&page=80

It also means its had a bit of a demanding start to its (hopefully) long life.

Ive now had this car two years, which is the longest I've had one, and starting to get a bit bored, even though it still constantly turns heads as im sure your all well aware.

Ive been contemplating changing it, untill today!

My best mate has got a Fiesta ST, and I went down with him to Fiesta In The Park meet at Huntingdon race track, Cambridge. Never even been to a car meet before, loved the atmosphere and everything that comes with these sites too. And its given me the motivation to get my 197 back to its former glory.

So ive came back tonight and joined this site. I thought it was about time I sorted my rs clio out. The truth is, I dont need to change my car, I bascially need a bit of counselling from you guys on getting my car back to how it deserves to be, then theres no chance of me getting bored.

First thing first, Problems:

The gloss black powder coating on my alloys is flaking off really bad on all four wheels, this is not just the case of the wheels being kurbed, its comming off from the centre of the wheel too! Has anyone else had this problem?
(Ill try and get some pictures up tomorrow)

Now to repair them do i get my alloys power coated back to glass black as they were, or go for gloss white for a bit of a different look?

Also, more of a costly problem than the wheels, my drivers seat recaro has got two wear holes down to the METAL on the edge of the bucket and back rest from the constant rubbing of getting in and out. The passenger seat is starting to show signs of wearing also. Anyone else's done the same?
(Pictures to follow)

So many other little niggly bits i need to sort out with it too, small chips etc.

I would love to get a bit of a project going and get it finished for a big meet next year, or end of this year if there is one?! What would be the best for a newbie?

Thanks for listening

Grant.

Welcome to the site mate. Get some pictures up when you can. The Recaro wear issue is very common, and in most cases you can get it repaired under warranty. Although as yours has gone out now, it might be a bit difficult. You could speak to a guy on here, EdgeAutomotive, who has been doing some re-trims and having great results. As for the wheels, it's not unheard of either. I would get them powdercoated (had mine done 1 month ago and the results are fantastic).

The other things come with driving a car. Get it detailled or do it yourself, spend a bit of money maintaining it and making it nice again, come to some shows and you will fall in love again. Where abouts are you from anyway?

Arran.

Hey mate welcome to the forum!!

Shame to hear about the way your feeling about your car but even a good detailing of the car can change the way you feel about it!

The Recaro seat is a big problem, its ashame yours has just went out of warranty or you could have claimed. I claimed and got two new whole seats. As for the paint on the wheels iv seen thicker paint on a matchbox car!

I felt a little like you so i decided to do a 'small' detail, check it out.

http://clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12733

Welcome to the site mate! Sounds like you've used the car!!!

You mentioned the car is out past it's service... I'd recommend that's the first thing to be done... crucial to a lengthy existence for any car!

Im from Wall Heath near Stourbridge!

I cant believe that about the seats. I took mine back to the renault garage where i got it from when it first happened, the said that I only had a years warranty on the upholstery, and even so it was just wear and tear that they didnt have to fix.

They said they would do the wheels for me and fit a new steering wheel because mine had melted, I left it with them for four days, they didnt do my wheels and fitted my steering wheel on the piss. GOOD ONE RENAULT!

thats unfortunate, regarding the wheels though, if it were my white car, white wheels would be a must. White on White looks brilliant. :clap:

Give me a thumbs up!!
I'd try correcting some of the problems though, retrim the recaros? Standard material is just rubbish for wear unfortunatly!

was that you that pulled over for a chat when i was washing me car a few weeks back.

I've probably seen you round too mate. Been seeing a lot more 197s round the area recently.

Hi mate, welcome to the site. Sounds like u got a nice car. Im in the same boat with high mileage but only because i love to drive it :smile:

welcome mate you work at OCL or what ever its called
glad to hear its ben driven:wink: