Thinking of buying a 197, got a few queries

My first post here, so firstly - Hello! My names Mike, from South Manchester.

Now that i'm 23 I can get decent price insurance on a nice car, and I have money saved to get myself something nice.

I did really fancy a Focus ST but they're slightly out of my budget and less than 20mpg round town would be a kick in the balls too. So i've decided an ST can wait.

I'm looking at Clios now, either a 182 or a 197. Bit of a tough decision really. I can get a really nice example 182 for around £3500, with nice 197's coming in at around £1500 more at about £5000. To me the looks and interior changes to the 197 are worth a grand to me over a 182.

I've been to look at a few today and there is one local to me which I went to see. A 2009 reg 197 Lux edition which has a few creature comfort additions to the interior.

The only thing stopping me is the mileage compared to the cost of the car. 77k miles seems high to me but it is literally the only downside I can see to the car.

It is in seriously immaculate condition inside and out, service history was impressive and it had £600+ plus spent on its last service where it had all fluids changed, all belts done and new spark plugs. Its also had a full 4 wheel alignment check and adjustment done recently. The car drove flawlessly, smooth ride, free revving engine, no knocks or rattles at all, even took speed bumps really nicely for a sporty hatch - It felt like a new car.

What do people think of 77k miles? The car is an 09 plate, so its only 4 years old, so definitely above average for its age. But to me this confirms the owners story of the car being mainly used for long motorway journeys and big commutes, so hopefully this means things like the brakes/clutch/suspension hadn't been caned. I'm not planning on modding the car particularly, but I think the odd trackday will be on the cards - Will the mileage be a problem if the cars been well cared for? Are there any high miler 197's on the forum?

Would love to hear your opinions and hopefully ease my doubt about this car, because it was a really nice example to me.

Also I was wondering if anybody could confirm the following - 197's did have a bit of a weak gearbox, but apparently the later version like this 09 reg i'm looking at had a later, uprated gearbox fitted from the factory.

Thanks

Mike.

if its been serviced and the belts have been done then its not an issue, gearbox was modified mid way through 2008 IIRC

Ok thanks for the reply.

Any ideas on clutch life on these cars and potential costs?

Clutch life really depends on how the car was driven. Belts are more important on these. I did a clutch in on my Focus ST in 36k miles, my friends was still going strong after 70k.

Ok thanks buddy.

I did some research on them and it does seem there isn't a definitive answer on clutch life. Some last 25k, others last 100k it seems.

I'm happy that the cars not been thrashed to the max regularly and the service history is more than I could ask for.

I'm putting a deposit down on it and hopefully if all goes smoothly i'll be picking it up on Saturday :smile:

Just rethought but have you considered a 182 trophy

Handling is incredible and they hold their value

I considered a 182 long and hard, including a trophy that I saw for £4750. They're undeniably the best drivers clio, but didn't fancy spending money on one to keep its value.

A Trophy to me isn't an all year round daily driver, simply because i'd want to look after it too well.

The 182 looks and interior are too dated for me to justify the cost too.

You will be wel pleased with the 197. Just spend a couple of hours hunting through the various posts on here about the various checks and things to look out for before you hand over your hard earned cash

Yeah, the more I read of the forum the more I really can't wait to get it!

Already planning my first minor mods :tongueout:

I've read a couple of buyers guides I found on the net - Is there a buyers guide on the forum or any must read threads before buying the car?