Hi, thinking about buying a 197?

Hi all I've found some really good information here. So much so I paid for membership. I currently drive an old BMW 525i but I'm looking to swap it for a hot hatch. The 197 has caught my eye but I am worried about reliability, build quality etc. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Please be gentle with me.

Reactions: wanger
Welcome to the family! :french:

You won't regret it if you get one, they're such a blast!

In terms of reliability, it's completely dependent on how they've been treated in the past, if they're serviced regularly and with good quality parts then usually reliability isn't a problem, so if you go and find any just make sure the history isn't sketchy :smiley:

Like with any car there are the usual parts which are prone to failure, lower ball joints and exhaust manifold to name a few, so these are the things to check for when buying (full list of things to watch out for are in the buyers guide)

Good luck with the search if you decide to go for one!

Hi Tofty welcome to the Family with cars it's down to luck and buy on history and Condition take your time.Lots of dogs but all so some real stunner's good luck

Hi all I've found some really good information here. So much so I paid for membership. I currently drive an old BMW 525i but I'm looking to swap it for a hot hatch. The 197 has caught my eye but I am worried about reliability, build quality etc. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. Please be gentle with me.
You're right to be worried. Cheaper to run a fezzer

Reactions: Sean197
Welcome to the forum tofty, as you might have read there is a few problems these cars can have, as mentioned its down to buying a well maintained car, which if you do, and continue on with this maintenance it should be fine. There are a few elements of the car that can give but its unlucky (example the gearbox)..

Welcome to the family! :french:

You won't regret it if you get one, they're such a blast!

In terms of reliability, it's completely dependent on how they've been treated in the past, if they're serviced regularly and with good quality parts then usually reliability isn't a problem, so if you go and find any just make sure the history isn't sketchy :smiley:

Like with any car there are the usual parts which are prone to failure, lower ball joints and exhaust manifold to name a few, so these are the things to check for when buying (full list of things to watch out for are in the buyers guide)

Good luck with the search if you decide to go for one!
Wow that is a long list of things to check! Thanks!

Welcome to the club. As said buy carefully and you'll love it. I average around 28mpg.