Thinking about buying a 2nd clio sport. stripping out to make track car.

Had my clio200 for around 8 weeks now and I'm thinking of booking several track days next year, i am not keen on taking my beloved 200 to the track with my little experience. Had the thought of buying a catC/D 197 or 200 sorting it out myself, slick tyres the lot have got a few ideas in terms of colour and decals would be spot on. Struggling to find Damaged clio 197/200 looking at spending around 3k/4k on the car then £1500 on repairs. Any1 have any ideas apart from ebay where i can pick a car up? i have looked on ebay and there isn't an awful lot. Preferably white?

Can't you get a standard early 56 plate for that sort of money and strip it out an sell the parts you don't want????

I have a 182 as my track toy after trading my 197 in for a r26 meg, tbh they all make nice track toys just depends how much u wanna spend...

Ralphybws is one of the cheapest 197s around, although a higher mileage vehicle, it's one of the more looked after cars around

I would do a track day in your 200 first. The 200 is built for the track and it's very hard to crash.

Building a track car can get very expensive especially when you add in all logistic costs. I am currently looking for a MX5 to turn into a race car and the basic cost is already £8k incl the car.

I have had my 200 since January, and it has seen Spa, The Ring a few times, Silverstone, Brands, Goodwood a few times etc etc. And it is more than up to the job.

although I have a fair amount of track experience, as a novice just book yourself some tuition, get out there and enjoy! :smile:

the 200 gearbox is different from the later 197 aswell as the engine aswel

If I was to buy a track car, I'd get a phase one 172, pick them up for cheap now! Or a Saxo VTS which you can pick up for like a pound.

£5500 is a lot of money to be spending on a track car when I think you'd have just as much fun in one of the cars I mentioned. Not that much though haha

Are you going to be doing a fair few track days? As £5500 is a lot of money just to be sitting in the garage, and you only bring it out once, maybe even twice a year.

Just track your 200. I think most the time the track is arguably safer than roads anyway. They are very well Regulated and kept safe and as mentioned the cars more than happy on tracks. I dont see the point of having it unless your gonna track it, this is where the 197/200 really comes into it's own.

I have a 182 as my track toy after trading my 197 in for a r26 meg, tbh they all make nice track toys just depends how much u wanna spend...

Ralphybws is one of the cheapest 197s around, although a higher mileage vehicle, it's one of the more looked after cars around

Mine is available, and is in excellent condition. £5,200 and its yours!

If you are going to track your 200 (or a 197) I would strongly recommend getting some two piece discs and some better pads. The standard pads are fine but will fade with the standard discs. I changed to DS2500's not because of performance but because the standard (OE) pads had started to break up. The DS2500's were excellent on track however.

I would also suggest getting some R888's; with mine I found I ran out of grip under braking with the Conti's, but no such problem with the R888's.

Two other plus's of my car are the 200 Cup steering rack and that it has 197 Cup suspension; you may end up changing for coilies but Cup suspension would make this less urgent. It wasn't available until mid way through 2007, mine came from a low mileage R27.

:welcome: to the site dude

I think that you may be better off trying the 200 on track as it is, then if you still want to be a track schlag, then my best friend MAY be selling his totally stripped, caged, flocked, cammed Saxo VTS - and that CAN keep up with a 197 :wink:

PM if you need any info!