The best all round tyre?

What is the best all round tyre for track use? Normal road use? Wet road use? Dry road use?

Reece..

Would have thought it wood be the conti that comes on the car as standard

This question always opens a huge can of worms with so many different opinions, I have used conti's, maxxis, toyos and hankooks. The contis came on the car and they are good but Autocar recently slated them. The maxiss were not too bad but so noisy, the toyos were immense even in the wet I would have to add. Currently running hankooks all round and I have to say they are excellent in both wet and dry.

This question always opens a huge can of worms with so many different opinions

I totally agree..

trouble is one persons 'good' tyre may not be someone elses as it depends what you want from a tyre. (cost, wet/dry/hot/cold performance, durability, etc etc) You usually can't get all of them in one (for example something grippy usually wears quicker than a none performance tyre which will have more durability).

These are tyres I've found to be good on differing cars over the last few years.

summer tyres (/all season)
Michelin Pilot Exalto 2/Pilot sport
Continental Sport Contact 1/2/3
Bridgestone Potenza RE050/RE720
Pirelli PZero Nero

road legal track days
Yoko A048R
Dunlop DZ03G
Toyo R888

winter tyre
Goodyear ultra grip

I think the Federal RS-R ones is most bang for the buck! :smile:
Quite cheap compared to other combined trackday/road tyres and do not worn out too quickly either. I´ve ordered a new set as I was quite satisfied with the ones I have. Have tested R888´s and Kumho V700´s on track and find it very pleasant to not have to change tyres when going for trackdays.

The ideal tyre for one person all year round might not be the ideal tyre for the next person.

It all depends on what percentage of your time you're going to be using the tyre for track time vs normal road use and how many miles you do on the road etc.

Alot of 'track' tyres will actually do ok on the road year round as long as you dont go diving into standing water.
I've been using Yoko AD08s on the road for a bit now and despite being a track focussed tyre they work well in the weather we've had recently.

I like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Fantastic value, great in the dry and brilliant in the wet.

I like the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. Fantastic value, great in the dry and brilliant in the wet.

+1 I run them on the front of the R26, great for getting the power down and make a lovely noise when they are at the grip limit so you know not to push any harder.

I also have the michelin pilot sports on my 182, found them to be great whilst blasting round north wales trying to keep up with Arran in various weather conditions

Different cars than what most of you guys are using but hope the infos a bit of help

it's hard to say as an alround but what i have is a set of Prada's for the track and it's hard to beat the Conti's for the road.

I've got Hankook S1 Evo's on at the minute, they're a decent price from Camskill and they feel as good as the Conti's.

I did have Bridgestones on after the Conti's and I wouldn't go back to them, they were a great tyre but they wear down too quickly (I think someone must have been driving my car while I sleep at night)

The Hankooks are not noisy and feel good in the wet too. I've had them on for about a year now and they've still got plenty tread on them where as I was replacing my Bridgestones after 13 months.

I have never been able to fault the Contis!

Recommended them to a guy at work on his S3 and he much prefers them.