Sprayed callipers blue

Just joined the forum so felt the need to do my first post. Sprayed my calipers blue at the weekend :smile:
picture.php

Just emailed dean with all this as he asked how i did it all so might aswell post what i sent him. I went to Halfords (even though i hate the place) to get the albi blue mixed up for the calipers as i think red is abit overplayed but they wanted £15. On the shelf they have this 'Citroen Poseidon Blue metalic spray 300ml' that looked nice and almost the same colour, only about £6.99 so I got that instead. You will also need some clear lacque. Dont worry about high temperature paints you dont need them!
So shopping list:
-Citroen Poseidon Blue metalic spray 300ml
-Clear lacquer 300ml
-White brembo stickers/transfers, these are the ones i got! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1106384131...84.m1439.l2649
-Good scrubbing brush
-Paint preparation wipes (halfords)
-Degreasing cleaning product (i used flash!)
-2 rolls of masking tape
-Bin bags
-Heat gun if not a hairdryer

So, get the car jacked up, on axles or a ramp or whatever, take all the wheels off. Preparation is key. First scrub all the calipers down with warm water and fairy getting all the brake dust off, just make sure they are as clean and dry as you can get them. Next make a hole in a bin bag and push over the caliper to stop all the discs and wheel arch getting overspray on. Use the tape and mask all the parts you dont want painting like all the pads and screws and pipes etc. tape round the bin bag to secure it so no paint gets through, do all the lip around the arch with tape aswell just to stop any overspray. wipe the calipers down with the paint preparation wipes making sure they are dry.
Get the blue paint and apply the first coat, dont spray it too close otherwise it will run. once youve done this first coat get the heat gun on it for 5 mins. Move to the next caliper and do the same, I did the front two first. Once the first coats on, do the same again another two times, so 3 coats in total. Make sure the previous coat is pretty much dry between each coat, use the heat gun to speed this up. Once you are happy with the 3 coats and they are dry, get the brembo sticker out. Apply them carefully as you wont get them off without ****ing the paint once they are on. You will be able to see the old black brembo logo so line them up, The writing is slightly smaller on those white ones but it looks cool as you can just see the black writing if you look closely at the edge of the white so it looks like a shadow. You will see when you do it! Next apply two coats of lacquer the same as you did the paint waiting for it to dry between coats. This seals the sticker on so it wont come off with the pressure washer or whatever. And thats it! i let it dry overnight but you could just hold the heat gun on it for 20mins. Do the same with the back but you wont get the brembo stickers on obviously.
They will look sweet! the metalic paint looks awsome and makes the car look so much better. Its just fidly masking up at the start but its worth it.
picture.php

After first coat (abit orangepeally but goes after the next coats)
picture.php

And the finished product (yes that is a little overspray on the discs :blush:hmy: went after a few stops though :smiley:)
picture.php

Looks good :smile: well done, only issue i see is thats a 1K finish.....god knows what temp thats rated to, not alot i imagine. 2K lacquers, generally ~100c, might yellow after that and eventually fail.

I did a 2K finish on my rear calipers, with decals, but they only get touch hot (~60c maybe), they are still fine over a year on, even after a good owning, but i did go through a serious prep process lol (sand blast, etch primer, 2k primer, 2k black, 2k lacquer).

The fronts would be a different matter, chances are that will start smoking if you go to a track or a hardcore drive.

If i was DIYing, id use a VHT paint and not lacquered.....as i dont know of a lacquer that can stand high brake temps, atleast generally available.

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

Looks good :smile: well done, only issue i see is thats a 1K finish.....god knows what temp thats rated to, not alot i imagine. 2K lacquers, generally ~100c, might yellow after that and eventually fail.

I did a 2K finish on my rear calipers, with decals, but they only get touch hot (~60c maybe), they are still fine over a year on, even after a good owning, but i did go through a serious prep process lol (sand blast, etch primer, 2k primer, 2k black, 2k lacquer).

The fronts would be a different matter, chances are that will start smoking if you go to a track or a hardcore drive.

If i was DIYing, id use a VHT paint and not lacquered.....as i dont know of a lacquer that can stand high brake temps, atleast generally available.

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

I wasn't aware you painted calipers???