some help with a noise please

aaron-rs197

Paid Member
hi. i was hoping someone could help me identify a noise. i'm sure its getting louder as time goes on so maybe time to investigate before something goes wrong!! it sounds a bit like the noise wind whistling around a car makes when moving at speed (only way i can explain it!!) but its coming from engine bay at almost any traveling speed. i hear it once engine has warmed up and done about 5-10 miles or so. only hear it when coasting in gear or accelerating in-gear (bit quieter when on throttle - probably drowned out by engine noise). it disappears when i take the car out of gear (when on the move) or when i dip clutch and coast or if i feather the throttle lightly and accelerate very slowly. don't hear it at all at standstill clutch in or out etc.. my knowledge on these things is very limited but i suspect clutch maybe unless anyone knows different? biting point is quite high on this one at present.

thanks for reading, any help appreciated...

Aaron.

The gearbox makes a weird noise when coasting in gear, As you say it sounds like air passing over the car at speed.
Mines always done it since i bought it about 8,000 miles ago, There have been a few threads on it and the general consensus is that its normal.

If it stops when you close the vents then it's probably a bit of shielding or something that's sitting in front of the blower motor, giving the impression that it's air blowing over the car?