197: Silly gear ratios

Antti O

Gold Member
I just have to ask, what have been designers thinking.. :s

100kmh / 3400rpm! .. drives me mad.

Closer ratios mean better acceleration. Only way to get the 0-60 times down on such a heavy car with no torque.

I dont think the droning is that bad at 70mph tbh.

Revs at 70mph do my nut in TBH. Pointless having the car geared like that in sixth, who uses 6 anywhere other than the motorway, its not like it gets used on track...

Closer ratios mean better acceleration. Only way to get the 0-60 times down on such a heavy car with no torque.

I dont think the droning is that bad at 70mph tbh.

My ex car did 7 seconds 0-62 with less bhp power, more weight and was more economical with 6 cylinder 2.5i engine. So i am pretty disappointed with my "new" clio. I have to admit that clio 197 is more track / sport focused than e46 325i bmw but i am still confused.
In city that doesent matter but today travelled 300km in highway and it took over 35mpg. Old car did easily over 43mpg in similar trip.

I don't ming the close gear ratios, it keeps the revs up where the power is but frankly Renault got the 6th completely wrong, however I don't do motorway miles so it doesn't affect me a lot. I believe they sorted this issue out on the 200 box though. There was a 200 box on ebay last week funnily enough

TBH this all depends on what you have driven before. Most of the other small cars I have driven are around 3,500. It is just that the Clio is louder.

Is it an idea to change the 5th and/or 6th gear for longer ratios? So use the first 4 gears for pleasure, and the 5th and 6th for economy? Or is the trouble/expense not worth the mpg-gain?

I have the new revised gearbox in mine and its still very annoying when doing anything over 65mph.

You can sound insulate the wheel arches and I have been told it makes a dramatic difference, was not on a Clio but should still work, job to do one day.

What year/chassis number were the revised gearbox ratios in the 197?

In other words, which model should i be looking for when the Mrs buys one?

Cheers

I've the rear seats out of my 07 197 (R27). Its noisey. However... its ****ing great. I was in London for a week and in diesels so I've missed it.

try taking the rear seats out its not a droning its more of a rally car sound then.. :smiley:

I would like to get my hands on the Clio200 gearbox, just because of the shorter first three gears (rest are the same as the revised Clio 197 gearbox)...

coming from 2 106 rallye close ratio gearboxes this ones fab! the 1.3 rallye we still have doesn't even make 60 in second and is 5 speed. Think I actually have damaged hearing from driving it over 60.

Last edited:
the gearing is not ideal but lets face it...its not a motorway cruiser is it :001_rolleyes:

on b roads its feels just great giving it some and snapping through the gears :thumbup: