Sell or Keep the 197 - Advice Please.

Matt197

South West Rep
Hmmm, I don’t know what to do.

I am not struggling but I am finding it harder each month to keep the car on the road, I am on a very low wage and by the time all my outgoings have been paid out I am not left with much for the rest of the month.

Problem is as well is the job I am currently doing I hate (been there for 4 years), the pay is crap and the people I work with are all a bunch of ******s, so I want to leave ASAP just cant find another job gree.

Just not sure if I should sell the car and pocket the 10k-11k and buy a much cheaper to run car until I find my self a full time stable job.

What would you do?

They are wonderful cars, but def not worth struggling for! I think you have answered the question yourself! You can always get another when you get sorted out job wise!

Well mate, I'm in exactly the same position at the moment. My car is actually worth more than I earn every year! I too struggle to keep it on the road, especially if more than one thing comes at once. It's difficult to try and go out and enjoy myself with the money I have left over. Fortunately I still live with my parent so don't have a mortgage to worry about. Things are starting to look up though, as I'm probably getting a new job soon which pays better.

Assuming your car is on finance or other wise not fully paid for so that is why it costs you so much, why not sell the 197 and buy a 182? You can pick one up nice and cheap. I know the running costs will be similar, but you will have the best of both worlds then.

However, I can fully appreciate how not having much money but having a nice car feels, sometimes you question if it's worth it. But then when you take it down the country lanes on a warm day and it flies, taking every corner with ease and giving you a great feeling back, it suddenly starts to make sense!

I love my Clio.

Called priorities mate.

Having a nice car is a heavy luxury. Of course you probably like it very much, but it eseentially does the same as any cheap car can and get you from A-B.

If times are hard id sell it on while its still worth a good deal and concentrate on eating and paying the rent etc...

Get a better job and treat yourself, that will feel much better in the future rather than worrying for months on end.

Thank you everyone for you comments, some times it takes someone outside of the box to spell it out for you.

arranshuker I can totally relate to that, car is worth more than what I get a year as well, when I got the car I did have a job lined up but it fell through but I decided to carry on with the purchase.

Dont know about a 172 or 182 still £235 odd to tax :worried: and insurance is still just as high, might have to drop back to a 1.2 or dare I say it one of them eco cars that you pay no tax on :thumb1:

Might look into a twingo, see if I can pick one up nice and cheap.

All I know it will be a very sad day when she goes, had the car since new.

I was very much the same, I bought the car knowing I was getting a pay rise at work, so the extra costs running a RS compared to my old 1.2 Clio weren't going to be a problem. But then I was told I wasn't getting a pay rise and the company annouced redundancies the week I bought the car. Fortunately I didn't get made redundant, but I still didn't get a pay rise. I don't have to use the car for work now, which helps a lot.

If it's running costs that are the problem then you are srewed for performance cars really! Lol! Although it isn't anywhere near as good to drive as the 197, my mate has got a Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet Turbo and it is actually quite quick! The Sporting doesn't look bad either, not as nice as the Clio or as sporty of corse. But the tax isn't as bad as the 197 and he regularly hits over 40 mpg on a good run when not booting it. He said the other day he was getting 42 mpg and decided to boot it. Then he got 28 mpg. I was shocked because if I did that in the Clio I think I'd be lucky to see 28 mpg going slow! Lol!

The good thing about the Puntos is that they don't cost much to service and parts are cheap. They also do the Sporting with a frugal 1.9 Turbo Diesel. I was looking at getting one about a year ago when I was using my car for work. But decided to wait and see what happened at work and I got the work van in the end. You could also consider a Swift Sport or something like that.

If I was 'down grading' as it were, I would want something that still drove well and was fairly quick when I wanted it to be. It will probably make you miss the Clio slightly less. If you go to a 1.2 again I think you will be really disappointed and feel even worse than you do at the moment with the costs! At least at the moment you get the enjoyment of driving it!

Something to think about I suppose. And I don't think you are the only one looking to reduce their monthly outgoings by getting a more fuel efficient car, I'd imagine there are a lot of people doing it at the moment.

As jaxx said its a heavy luxury i would sell it mate till your bk on your feet then treat yourself again when your sorted will be a good goal to set yourself!!

Nashy

A car like the 197 is as people have said a luxury. Once you have sorted yourself out with a job and some cash this is when you can go and buy another 197 or even a 200!

If i was struggling to pay off stuff i would sell the car straight away. Have you ever considered a 1.6 16v mk2? My mate has one lowered on Coili's and its a quick little car and very good fun to drive!

I don't have to pay out monthy for the car as i paid in full but even without that sort of payments the Clio's running costs still cost a little bit.

Well its now up for sale so we will see if it goes, not looked at anything to replace the 197 yet, so will have to have a look and see what's about.

I am currently paying £160 a month for the car on finance and have just over another year left before its fully paid up (2.5k left unpaid), but on top of that is the car insurance as that's a one of payment that I spread over 12month interest free on a credit card.

Its not a lot but when you are on low wage it quickly adds up, just such a shame to have to sell such a fantastic car.

Last edited:
Well its now up for sale so we will see if it goes, not looked at anything to replace the 197 yet, so will have to have a look and see what's about.

I am currently paying £160 a month for the car on finance and have just over another year left before its fully paid up (2.5k left unpaid), but on top of that is the car insurance as that's a one of payment that I spread over 12month interest free on a credit card.

Its not a lot but when you are on low wage it quickly adds up, just such a shame to have to sell such a fantastic car.

Totally understand mate, £160 a month, plus insurance, plus tyres, plus petrol, plus everything else including services. Its maybe tough just now to get rid even though its up for sale, but once your stable with cash buy another one! :wink:

Sorry to hear this mate . Bottom line is if it's a struggle then sell it buy something cheaper . Treat yourself when tour on more money .

One of the good guys though so sad to see u go

Or u could follow me to the dark side of vxr land .....;-)

Thank for the support lads, this is what I will miss. Such a good community to be part off, brings a tear to your eye :'(

Been looking at the Aygo, £20 tax a year and seems like a rather nice car, not a 197 by any means but is very cheap to run.

Will keep you all updated to what happens though and if I do sell the car I will still be on here, best forum around :drunk:

Sorry to hear your selling up mate, I’ve wanted a 197 for years and i finally have enough to buy one :smile: so I'll be selling my Clio next week if you aint decided what your after yet?

Its a 57 plate 1.2tce (100bhp) Clio SX (Limited Edition) with full body kit as standard, lots of options on it.. insurance group 4, road tax £120 per year gets around 30-40mpg when driven sensible plus its only done 18,900miles. I was after £6800, Its been looked after very well. If your interested let me know :smile:

P1030400.jpg

P1030402.jpg

Well I handed my notice in today, could not stick at the job any longer, finish end of July.

Just hope I can kick start my new business venture and make a go of it.

So looks like the Clio is really going now, just need to find a buyer in this slow climate.

Good luck fella, I wish you all the best!

p.s if you want a cheap runner, check out the clio DCI's. As well as the 197 ive got a 2001 Clio DCI 1.5 with "mini turbo", does 60mpg and £25 tax every 6 months, £31 a month insurance (im 27) with a missus on the policy that had an accident last year.
I use it to get to and from work as its a 45 mins drive and a tank will do on average about 600miles. £45 to fill with V power Diesel @ £1.25.9 pence a litre from top of reserve. Its a fantastic little car!

DSC08023.jpg

Last edited:
i know exactly how you feel mate. I have to admit the running costs are very high: insurance, fuel, tax, a finance payment if uve done it that way. If ure struggling mate i honestly would change the car to something more eco and that doesnt cost the earth.

think how ppl running bentlys feel lmao.

hope it all works out and hope u dont have to sell the car tbh mate.