Scoobie WRX

Totally ugly. Thankfully the new ones are back to the saloon look. Subaru really did mess things up thinking a hatchback was the way forward.

certainly not as aggressive looking as the old cars...seem to have lost it abit...hope the rs range doesnt go the same way :001_rolleyes:

Has to be the STi version, the WRX doesn't have the flared wheel arches and just looks pants in comparison.
I'm quite tempted by the STi for my next car...

. but it makes me wonder why are they so cheap? ?

Running costs (eg fuel costs)

Insurance

Tax

Can't park it anywhere without worrying whether it will be A) there when you get back or B) vandalised because some little chav wants it and the attention it gets

Possibility of either ending up in prison or the cemetary

That one looks awesome reaper but it's an sti not wrx. The wrx is way too plain for me I had a look around them at the dealership and instantly wrote them off as boring. Who wants a car with that performance and those looks? All personal preference obviously, but that might explain their price.

The new shapes seem to be driven by the elderly generation, the only time I saw one driven by someone under 50 they almost crashed head on into me.

Think they should have left the Impreza name where it was and just make it a new model, marketing ruining classics as usual.

WRX hatch shape are rubbish.

no wide arches like the WRX, let alone all the mechanical improvements the STi has.

But then the are two very different cars, and two very different prices.

Older saloon shape Impreza's go for pennies these days.

I have had two, a 2003 Spec-C and a 2001 JDM STi, both were savagely fast, failry easy to drive etc. But had failry high running costs!

Out of interest what kinda running costs did you incur?

with careful driving, around 25mpg, but that drops to well below 20 as soon as you get on the throttle.

And flat out, i managed 3 1/2 laps of the Ring to a tank of fuel in my Spec-c!!

Otherwise its the usual wear and tear, but being 4wd, it can take its toll on tyres and brakes.

But like most thing, fuel and insurance is the biggest factor!

Stay away from the wrx! i took one for a test drive and found it very numb and slow. If your gona get an impreza go for sti. Personally i like the hatchback and would love to get a 330s after the clio. The 08-present ones have an 'i-drive' system where you can change the engine map. In the 'economy' setting nearly 30mpg is possible or in the full fat setting you'll be doing very well to get 20mpg. Either that or go for 06/07 hawkeye sti (also a 2.5ltr) or my personal hero the 05 blob eye (2 ltr) the later one of the blob eye had a few alterations so make sure you get 05 onwards.
My dad had a 2005 blob eye with prodrive pack running 305bhp ish, and on a Sunday morning spirited drive got about 6-7mpg!!!!!

My dad runs a '10 WRXS with all the Prodrive Performance Pack.

It's a fantastic car, much better than the '07 WRX he had previsouly. Very stable on track and much more ''grown up'' then the previous generations. It looks a lot better than the basic WRX though with the Prodrive styling bits on it. It's nicer to drive then the Hawkeye and is less prone to hanging its arse out. Oddly though it was attrocious in the snow last winter, don't think they tyres helped there...

Stay away from the early hatches, due to the ECU not being reprogrammed for UK fuel, they suffered with what was known as ringland failure, due to knocking/pinking. A fair few managed to get new engines FOC from Subaru but also a fair few seemed ok and just got their ECU's reprogrammed but engines could well be weakend and so over time very expensive repairs costs.

Other than that great cars and lots of potential to go fast for very few bucks (go for 2010 onwards), I got rid of mine (2005, blobeye) purely down to the insurance & road tax getting stupid and on hatches they have 2.5 engines so higher tax again unless you get JDM import as they still use 2.0 and way better spec. car as well

We have a pre-facelift 2010 WRX in our garage, being very honest its probably the most disappointing car we have had in a LONG time (We've had several imprezza's in the past in various forms of WRX and STI).

The handling is atrocious, there is NO steering feel whatsoever, great for parking but when you've got the foot down you don't feel safe in the twists. You have absolutely no feel through the wheel or pedals, it feels as though the car is floating above the road. It suffers body roll BIG time too.
The gear box in standard setup isn't great either, the 'gate' is very shallow so when your chucking it through the gears it feels as though you have bounced out of the gate which makes me very nervous giving it some - we have since fitted a short shift kit which has helped tremendously-
Above all though they're just not that quick, in a straight line Mum's pulls away from the Clio, but if I'm in 3rd above 5k RPM its bloody close no matter what she does (Im running custom tune, BMC air filter, Supersprint race exhaust system). Through any corners the clio is quicker and much more fun hands down every time.

The Rex just lacks the fun factor, Ive never felt comfortable throwing it into corners or wringing its neck through the gears, I know Im biased but comparing it to the clio it is an Old peoples car, practical and comfortable.

Similar Thread Suggestions