Sad day for the Ring

It's finally up for sale which could mean the end of public access :worried:

Anyone want to chip in?

945408_4781163415709_1799534011_n.jpg

It'll never be the end of public access. It makes too much money and brings too much tourism to the area. Think of how many businesses would close down if the ring wasn't public...just can't see it.

Be interesting to see how much debt they are in.. KPMG deal with a lot of going concerns. You never know with 50 million working capital you might get it for a £1

If its just an assest disposal then the track and the hotel have got to be in the region of £100 million easily.

Last edited:
That's the problem, the race tracks and leisure complex are being treated as a whole. If they were separated it would mean a much brighter future for the track. The track itself makes money however that money is used to cover the debt of the leisure complex (which was a huge business failure). The debt was initially 250 million Euros, some say it's close to double that at the moment. If it's sold privately, it will most probably mean the end of tourist driving sessions, maybe only track days will be left...

Last edited:
It will be an interesting few months to say the least. As you say the failed leisure complex and rollercoaster hasn't helped finances but I'm sure someone or some consortium will be interested.

A lot of motor manufactures have testing and research centres nearby, including Hyundai who have just built a £4m centre. Most manufacturers test there quite heavily but at the cost to buy and the running costs I can't see any one manufacturer including VAG seeing it as a viable proposition.

Probably be bought by some rich Arabs or Chinese.

Last edited:
Yeah, if we want to continue using the track on public days then a private sale won't be good for us haha. If the tracks are sold privately, the new owner will buy it for an investment (expecting at least 5-10% return on investment), in the current climate that return won't come from public day profits but from other motorsport events... Ideally the tracks should remain 'non profit public roads' as it's mostly the public driving days that attract people to the region. One of the main reasons the track was built was to boost this weak region, without public days tourists won't come and everything around it will collapse :worried:

It'll never be the end of public access. It makes too much money and brings too much tourism to the area. Think of how many businesses would close down if the ring wasn't public...just can't see it.

+1

it's almost as bad as last year when rumour was all car modifications were to be banned or had to be inspected.

Whoever buys it can't afford to shut it simply because the amount of revenue it brings.

Don't forget the music festivals/events that happen within the 'ring.
A massive German rock festival brings in a lot of income, and there are many races, shows that also attract such attention.

So it may not just be a car enthusiast/company, that purchases such a venue.
As said, an investor will be the most likely to purchase the place (Chinese, Middle East, Indian)

If it was in this country then the government wouldn't give 2 ****s about the effect on the local economy.

Lets hope it all goes alright as I class that place as my heaven on earth. Actually wait there I'm booked to go July 31st lets hope its still open!

No way will it shut for public access! At €26 a lap, them Barriers go up and down like mad! Makes too much money to close to the public!

No way will it shut for public access! At €26 a lap, them Barriers go up and down like mad! Makes too much money to close to the public!

So true but unfortunately the gate money doesn't cover what they've borrowed in recent years to develop the leisure facilities. A new owner with deep pockets and a better business plan should do ok.... Group buy anyone?

Aha, yeah I guess so! Sell the ring without that worthless complex that near the ring, then burn the complex :smile: I'll put my share of vpower on it to help it go down nicely! :smile: hopefully make the f1 lot realise they can't do what they want!!

this isnt just the ring, this is also for the F1 track as well. well nero disney or what ever its called was just the F1 track and all the added " entertainment"...shame really

I'm not saying that the public days don't bring in a profit but lets face it, there aren't that many cars that come... During the week the track is open on average for 2 hours a day, on the weekend a bit more where it is max. 200-300 cars. Will it cover a debt of 300+ million Euros? I'm afraid it won't... I would love it if the tracks stayed under public ownership but i don't think the local politicians care that much, if they did they would do a lot more to try and persuade the European Commission to separate the tracks from the stupid Disneyland leisure complex :worried:

Schumacher is ment to be taking a Mercedes F1 car round there soon. Hope that still happens.

This weekend I believe. Heard that also the new E63 AMG, A43 AMG, SLS Black and something else will be setting off at various distances on the ring to see who will finish first.

Similar Thread Suggestions