RS Clio 200 Gordini - Center Box Removed Vid - Pg.25

I find that very strange regarding the brakes i ve spoke to quite a few 200 owners who have tracked their car and taken it to the ring and have had no issues. I must admit my fluid did boil on the last afternoon I was at ring but wasnt a massive issue in the wee twingo. Might just be the brake fluid. For the twingo there are only 3 heavy braking points at the ring, mainly with it being light you can just lift off instead of braking.

It was also very hot on saturday though. Around 30 degrees. Air temps can't have helped.

I must just be ****. Lol.

Last edited:
That heat has probably had an effect on the brake fluid, try changing that before your pads it might be a cheap fix.

Good to hear it was hot though, i go next week. Cant wait.

The standard Brembo's aren't very good?????

The callipers and disks are amazing, the standard pads can suffer with hard prolonged use but I'd hardly say the setup was bad. I'd point out that a Clio cup racer has the same callipers and disks. And I know that setup came first in it's class at the britcar 24 hour.
The only difference was DS pads

The Cup car's brakes will have about 200kgs less to stop, some fancy ducting and no splash guards to cool them too.

But yeah Deako, you were probably over-braking a bit which is understandable given you've only had the car a few weeks and the Ring is a bit daunting to say the least!

Re CGTI lot, did you miss old skool or your MKV?

Ive done 11 laps in total now over 2 trips, so still over brake when i could carry more speed. I dont expect to know this until about 60-80 laps, maybe 100, so it will take some time. I dont find the 'Ring daunting, just very exciting. Its a magical place. So depressed to be back home, if i could find a way of living over there i would.

I missed the VAG stuff in General to be honest Mike over the weekend. Didnt miss out on any of the banter, doesnt matter what car you drive for that, its just the atmosphere that would seem better if i was using a VAG car.

I meant daunting in so much as not remembering whether a blind corner is tight or not and you have a bit of an adrenaline fuelled stamp. I used the wrong word to be fair, I know you're a handy driver to say the least.

I can only just about remember my way round and it still takes 5 or so laps to get back into any groove each time I visit, 100 laps and you're only just starting!!

I'll certainly miss the VAG going to and from Germany, lard arsed comfort has its uses!

Totally agree with your comments on the brakes from a brief 15 minutes at Rockingham at the FCS2010... great on the road but really fade bad on track.

Huge kudos for doing the ring so soon after your purchase.

Car looks awesome.

The best lap i did Mike was the 8th of the weekend. Felt so right, overtook about 20 cars and was just immense fun.

You are dead right though, after 6 laps i was just starting to feel my way back around and the next 2 after that were awesome.

I have many many more trips there planned, time and money permitting.

And i still think i never want to time a lap. Ive had so many people asking me what lap time i did. No idea, it was brisk, but i have never timed a lap. I think if you go out to the Ring with that attitude, then you will crash. I go there to drive a very challenging road to the best of my ability and not beyond it. :smile:

Balls to times, they're for the experienced and idiots.

A good lap for me is one where I've found the turn and apex points on every corner and tied a good one together. I've yet to do this though, the zebra crossing always catches me out!!

One of the guys that travelled down with some of the CGTI peeps in a Clio 182 timed his 2nd ever lap out. Needless to say he binned it unfortunately.

Yes, seen that one. Dont know why people do it. There is nothing to prove. Almost everything out there is faster. I even got overtaken by a Touran being pedalled extremely well, with no fear, by a local that probably knew the road well.

On the brakes front, i found the same with my r26 the standard brakes couldnt cope with repeated braking from high speeds. I replaced the pads with xp8s and skimmed the discs, they felt awesome after that.

Found the stock brakes to be pretty good,do glaze up quick though when town driving meaning not very good initial bite but haven't faded at all at the 'Ring or bedford. Was running low 9mins being pretty conservative. friend of ours is a local and instructor done many thousand laps and he can do mid 8m in totally stock 197 no sweat !!! Also said that the clios used by the racing school run stock pads

Deffo changing pads though as I like agressive bite

It could be that they were glazed from road use, the car had done 1200 miles approx of normal road driving before the first lap and honestly it was really the first couple of laps when i thought the brakes were shocking. But that thought just stuck with me all weekend.

They did get better over the weekend. But i still think they get too hot too fast. ESP partially to blame as well i think. They smelt after every lap.