Renault Dealer Recaro Seat Nightmare!

I'm sure everyone on here appreciates the problems with these seats. I wanted to post to get peoples opinions so here goes...

My 200 has done 16.5k and for the past 5 months the driver side Recaro has been making the worse high pitched sweaking sound. It's driving me mad, as soon as I move an inch the bloody thing squeaks loudly and anyone in the car can hear it very clearly. It's coming from the back part of the seat and constantly does it as I'm driving.

The dealer has had the car twice now and again I took it down for the third time to today to diagnose the problem. Finally they've accepted the problem but later today I got a call from RUK denying responsibility but telling me as I was such a great customer they would pay half of the 250 odd quid to fix it.

I refused this and they upped their contribution to 80% so I would only have to pay £45. I think it's an insult. IMO the seat is not fit for purpose so I shouldn't even be wasting my time taking the car back and forth. My previous car (R27) didn't have a sweaking seat.

I've spoken to trading standards and if need be will go further as I feel disgusted the dealer can't do more considering during the past 3 years I've spent over 35k in their establishment.

Thoughts from owners would be welcome? :smile:

Last edited:
I'm presuming it's still under warranty and in that case you shouldn't be paying anything.

Seats should last the life of a car.

I agree... why are you expected to pay £45 when they have accepted it's a problem and it's under warranty!?

I'll be digging my heels in too if my car does this!

Rich

What's gonna cost 250 to fix .? Does it not just need tightening or somethin? My 197 squeaks on the drivers seat when going round right-hand corners

I'm presuming it's still under warranty and in that case you shouldn't be paying anything.

Seats should last the life of a car.

Thanks for the reply. RUK are saying this type of problem is not warranty covered.

It's like a plastic squeaking noise and is getting worse! Honestly it takes all fun out of driving the car.

Thanks for the reply. RUK are saying this type of problem is not warranty covered.

It's like a plastic squeaking noise and is getting worse! Honestly it takes all fun out of driving the car.

This sounds like a 'fair wear and tear' argument on their part. However, i would look at it in that 'is it reasonable that a vehicle costing more than circa 15k should be doing this' and i would say it is not.

This is definitely a consumer direct and trading standards argument. Also, inform them that you are going to report this to the SMMT (society of motor manufaturers and traders). It may also be good to get Auto Express nvolved as they like getting their teeth into dealers and manufacturers.

Write everything down, list times and dates and exactly who you spoke to and what was said. It may take a bit but you will get the result.

Dealers and manufacturers work on a war of attrition and expect everyone to back down, stand up and they listen. I had them buy a used megane 225 back off me because they failed to fix it and tell me it was an import. It took me 3 months and 2 months in one of their courtesy cars they wanted back. I had to do all the things above till they backed down.

This sounds like a 'fair wear and tear' argument on their part. However, i would look at it in that 'is it reasonable that a vehicle costing more than circa 15k should be doing this' and i would say it is not.

This is definitely a consumer direct and trading standards argument. Also, inform them that you are going to report this to the SMMT (society of motor manufaturers and traders). It may also be good to get Auto Express nvolved as they like getting their teeth into dealers and manufacturers.

Write everything down, list times and dates and exactly who you spoke to and what was said. It may take a bit but you will get the result.

Dealers and manufacturers work on a war of attrition and expect everyone to back down, stand up and they listen. I had them buy a used megane 225 back off me because they failed to fix it and tell me it was an import. It took me 3 months and 2 months in one of their courtesy cars they wanted back. I had to do all the things above till they backed down.

Good reply and thanks.

That's exactly how I was thinking :smile:

Not good, they need to sort this out :worried:

Yeah I'm gonna really kick off tomorrow you know.

I want this sorted. I'm going to publish the name of the dealer on all of the Clio forums.

Since 2007 I've bought from this dealer a 197 R27, a fully loaded Clio DCI Dynamique Sport 106 and a 200.

the thing that pi**es me off 'these days' - as you hint towards in your last post, no matter how loyal you have been with someone, a company etc etc, people don't seem to give a sh*t about keeping your loyalty and rewarding it.
if i ran that dealer, i'd lose money on repairing this or any other problem if i had to, just as a thank you.

even once they sort it mate, i wouldn't use them again, personally....

...when I had a problem, I found out who was the managing director of the company and emailed him direct....told him about the fact I'd spent 40k+ over three cars and laid it on.....I got an instant response by telephone and an instant fix...better than that, the sales 'executive' apologised unreservedly.....worth a try...

...when I had a problem, I found out who was the managing director of the company and emailed him direct....told him about the fact I'd spent 40k+ over three cars and laid it on.....I got an instant response by telephone and an instant fix...better than that, the sales 'executive' apologised unreservedly.....worth a try...

but why should it take that?? the sales executive who 'apologised unreservedly' should have got it squared away straight away.

stu.

Because they always try there luck in the hope that people cant be on with the hassle etc, very suprised at RUK tbh.

Because they always try there luck in the hope that people cant be on with the hassle etc, very suprised at RUK tbh.

+1 same with most businesses... Alot of people will give in, therefore saving them alot of money.
Aslong as you keep hassling them, they will pay up. Its funny how they upped the amount they were willing to give. Tbf its bull if its a repair at one of the dealerships, because it wont cost them anywhere near £250, just staff time and about £1 on parts I bet.

Ive got to phone my dealer today about my 200 as I am not happy at all with something. If they arent willing to rectify the issue, then ill be on the phone to RUK.
Very disappointed about it.

well i hope i will have more luck with my car. i've no qualms whatsoever about annoying the hell out of the right people to get something fixed. but if i sell it after a year, i should be ok :smile:

well i hope i will have more luck with my car. i've no qualms whatsoever about annoying the hell out of the right people to get something fixed. but if i sell it after a year, i should be ok :smile:

on that subject i got mine from a tax free dealer and the spec i had was about £18,500 after a year and 12,000 miles they offered me £9,500 i couldnt belive it had lost so much value i have seen similer spec ones on auto trader for around 12,000

should never trade them in mate, they take the piss!!
i'll be selling mine at a year o9ld privately, and will be happy to take £1000 hit on what i payed for it (probably won't though....) . 100 a month depreciation for a brand new car ain't bad....

It's finally been sorted. There was some faffing around and I had to contact the Director after taking some advice on here.

I did actually lose it a bit yesterday as I was getting really wound up. I've been calm for five months with this but sometimes you've got to kick off.

For the fella expecting his new car I think this is just a genuine fault, unfortunately it just wasn't handled as well as it could have been. Experiences I've had with other dealers have generally been fixed first time rather than my experience here which is the service department repeatedly handing the car back saying "we couldn't identify the fault".

Last edited:
that's me mate :smile: lol
well at least it's sorted now - shame you had to shave a month off your life through stress to get it sorted though!!!

cheers, stu.

that's me mate :smile: lol
well at least it's sorted now - shame you had to shave a month off your life through stress to get it sorted though!!!

cheers, stu.

"shame you had to shave a month off your life through stress to get it sorted though!!!"

Too true.

Cheers :smile: