Recaro Airbags/Connectors

So to cut a long story short, I managed to source a set of recaros for my car :drool:

Had a proper look at them today, and the airbag wires have been snipped off where they would go into the carpet:

imagervk.jpg

On the standard seats, there is a connector in the side of the seat just behind the plastic trim, but I can't see anything like that on the recaros?

How would I connect them up in the car?

Doh, I wanted to fit them in tonight :worried:

How would I join the wires to a new connector? I'm cr*p with electrics!

i would solder the connections for the wiring/plugs

i think jase got some connectors with built in resistors from capital seating to stop the air-bag light staying on

You will get airbag warning light.
The wire that comes out the carpet in your car goes to a female conector in the side of the standard seat, but on the recaro the female is under the seat.
The standard seats have anti sub bags where as recaro don't so this will either need a resistor(available from capital seating) or take it to the dealers as apparently they will reprogram the airbag ecu for £30-£40.

Unfortunatly you have the problem of not knowing what wires to connect together and which to loop with the resistor. You need someone with recaro so you can see what wires go together.

Thanks guys, I just don't know where to start though. Spoke to Karl about parts and the connectors only come with all the wiring, which is fine but I can't figure out how it is wired into the airbag module?

Wanted to take the plastic cover off to see but scared to break my new seats lol ;/

Just saw your post Jase, there are 5 wires inside the insulation so I don't know what to do...

Last edited:
couple of options -

find an r27 and have a look at the connectors under the seat

find where the seats came from and visit the breakers (i assume they came from) and get the rest of the wiring

hang on !

if the wires have been cut as they go in the floor then the connectors will still be under the seats ??????

have you looked ?

hang on !

if the wires have been cut as they go in the floor then the connectors will still be under the seats ??????

have you looked ?

I was hoping that but I can't see any connectors on the wires at all, just a bit of loose wire then the rest is clipped up to the seat before it goes into the airbag casing...

i have to do a job on mine tomorrow

so if i get chance i will get some pics of mine

but sounds strange from what you say that the wires go straight to the airbags....they dont on standard seats or the recaros (jase old ones) on mine !

Think on the standard seats there are 6 wires
2 anti sub bag
2 side air bag
2 seatbelt warning light.

Recaro I think have 4 wires
2 side airbag
2 seatbelt warning.

The recaro do have conectors as looked at a few when working mine out.
The conector was clipped to the metal sub frame of the seat in the midle underneath from what I remember.

Definitely have 5 wires - orange, black, purple, white and brown...

The drivers side seat has twice as many :S although it looks like the seatbelt wiring too

Now I'm even more confused

Last edited:
put the seat on its back the may b a plug some near a clip on a plat under the seat. They may av cut the cars loom 2 the plug.

i couldnt get them any clearer as the camera flash doesnt work on close up and there wasnt enough light under the seats....but it gives you an idea of "what should be there" !!!!

Thanks for the pics foxspeed, think I've figured this out now....

Where your connector is on that 'plate', my wires have electrical tape round them, and it looks very much like the connectors have been cut off and the wire from the car loom joined to the wires from the recaros. I hope that makes sense?

Why would this have been done?? And more importantly how do I fix it?

imageau.jpg

well its ok for me it was my job for stuff like this....

someone has removed the connectors....so get some connectors as these are available from electrical or motor factors - make a note of which colour goes to which and fit new male/female connectors

not hard :thumbup1: