Re Map when still under warranty

I'm in the same boat mate. In two minds, not as if it's slow anyway but the figures are impressive what you can get.

It's faster all round, and the power is much easier to achieve, however its not quite as good in the corners, very slightly, just noticeable as it feels a bigger car and not as throwable, but on country roads it feels much faster, you can just blast out of corners. I like the gearbox!

dont have any experience but would have thought that if you start modifying your car you will loose your warranty if they inspect the car in case of a failure...

Most people don't have any issues with maps during the warranty period. If you are concerned, get a map which you load your self (Bluefin style), loads of top companies offer these now. It means you can take the map off before you hand it in for a service or any warranty work. Most of the time though, the tech's will only drive it across the car park and they won't be doing any data logging on a test drive if they do take it out so it is uncommon for them to find anything

There have been plenty of people getting engines replaced even though they were mapped. But if the map has caused the engine to pop, you got the wrong map

That's the key - you should only have a problem in the case of warranty work IF the modifications are the cause/part of the cause of the issue. For example - you have the car remapped but a rear brake caliper seizes - the caliper has nothignto do with the remap so hould still be covered.

Be careful with the map it yourself devices - don't be thinking that it's undetectable if you flash it back to stock. That is not the case and if the dealer wanted to they could tell that it had been mapped in the past.

If your car is mapped and your engine blows, it's game over.

If you modify the exhaust and it falls off, it's your fault.

Anything you modify, it's not covered by warranty anymore. Unless it's a Ford with a Montune map, but obviously Renault don't do that.

That's the key - you should only have a problem in the case of warranty work IF the modifications are the cause/part of the cause of the issue. For example - you have the car remapped but a rear brake caliper seizes - the caliper has nothignto do with the remap so hould still be covered.

You'd think that, but we are talking about Renault here. I asked my dealer about the warranty if I changed the exhaust, and was told that nothing on the car would be covered anymore.

You'll certainly notice a remap on the 200t. It will boost harder and earlier than a regular 200t. All it'll take is one throttle press. All remaps are detectable. Renault will 99.9% check if you're going in for warranty work as it saves them a pretty penny by blaming the problem on you!

Full of BS in here, 99% of the techs at Renault don't even have a clue!

Any of you have any idea how an ecu works?

This all depends on your relationship with your dealer. If you get a proper map (the likes of RS Tuning) they will map the car within Renaults safety parameters, mine is. Everything on a modern car has safety built in, if the car starts to detonate, it will retard the ignition, if the gearbox is getting too much it pings up an alarm. A good mapper works within the parameters that stop these things happening. I would recommend Paul at RS Tuning, I had a Bluefin map but it would ping the spanner on, some get it some don't. Ktec are still having some problems I think hence the general release is not available, but they may have sorted the problems now, they do have a car making 275 bhp though!!!!!!!!

As for reliability, how does an average of 35.5mpg sound, commuting and blasting. The car drives a lot nicer in auto as well, in fact 90 % of the time my car is in auto, if I want to pass something, just press the loud pedal and the car instantly downshifts to the ideal gear and changes up when it hits the redline automatically, I just hang on and go.

There are a few downsides, the extra power (230 bhp) is on the chassis's limit, with more torque steer, and the car becomes a bit on edge with the extra power, progress is rapid, B roads are a hoot, but to really exploit the extra power a suspension upgrade is the next step, I'm afraid.

As for warranty work, a good dealer wants your repeat business so will look after you.

There are a few downsides, the extra power (230 bhp) is on the chassis's limit, with more torque steer, and the car becomes a bit on edge with the extra power, progress is rapid, B roads are a hoot, but to really exploit the extra power a suspension upgrade is the next step, I'm afraid.

Do you have a cup chassis Womble?