RB Cup Racer Wannabe - New bits & track day disaster...

Bought this a month or so back, 07 full fat with 48k and full Renault history, on a budget due to my wedding this August so convinced the missus a little clio was a smart move! Little does she know of the heap of parts I have ordered for it.

I had a LY 182 stripped out with a cage a few years back and since selling always wanted something similar again. So various impreza's, evo's, 350z's, M3's etc later i'm back in a Clio and I have to say, even on the first drive bringing it home its the best fun i've had in ages!

My old 182

clionight.jpg

brakes.jpg

Here it is at the moment... loads of plans for it, basically a stripped out noisy fun car for as many track days as I can.

IMG_1113_zpsc4de8a9c.jpg

Check out the state of these for a refurb.... (being replaced)

IMG_1114_zps504a968e.jpg

Started out sorting out the horrific brake calipers (previous owner clearly made a hash)

Before..

IMG_1083_zpsab33262e.jpg

After..

IMG_1100_zpsfc752652.jpg

Second up, the all important cambelt & water pump replacement along with an oil service...

Before..

IMG_1108_zps185afc17.jpg

IMG_1109_zps2d59c466.jpg

After..

IMG_1111_zpsd5ea3397.jpg

Couldn't resist the Renaultsport Splitter...

IMG_1131_zpsfd26ac0b.jpg

IMG_1102_zps12ea43a6.jpg

Made a start on the interior also.

IMG_1148_zps774db6ab.jpg

IMG_1149_zps1f189e14.jpg

So on order are KW coilovers, cup spoiler and a replacement exhaust...

Magnesium speedlines (cheers Seventh Seal) are off to be powder coated this week and i'm currently considering braided brake lines and a full fluid change at the moment.

Suggestions welcome with regards to seats and cage, im not 100% sold on cutting up the dashboard for a 6 point due to resale but iam easily persuaded if a bargain popped up!

Last edited:
Nice but wtf did the previous owner do to the poor thing....

Which KWs are you going for? Would recommend braided lines just make sure to use the oem bracket for them on the front hubs.

Just be aware those mag speedlines are unusually heavy though should be very strong.

God knows, poor little thing was owned by a girl the past 4 years. No offence to female members but it hadn't seen much tlc. Lots of parking dents to have removed.

Wheels look like they were refurbished from silver to anthracite with a single coat of cheap ass halfords paint.
Yep, Speedlines I tried earlier before sending off, marginally heavier but tbh, I had to have them for the authentic look and extra width was nice too.

Im an agent for KW's here in N.I. so got a great deal on V1's just, ill be honest I was very close to splashing on clubsports but with seats/cage/brakes etc still to buy I couldn't justify the extra cost at the moment, especially as its a track toy and wont actually be competing in it.
Have heard good things about adjustable top mounts which I may look into down the line.

Haven't got a clue... Its not massively heavy actually so far. Need space for cage anyway so has to go.
Ill be taking the heavier seatbelt tensioners, brackets and door panels off later.

Love a good track car progress thread. This one definitely has potential.

As for what seats to go for? I got to sit in MikeH's track stripped 182 at the weekend there. He has Cobra suzuka Pros and are very comfortable and look the biz. They are also not particularly expensive unless you go down the carbon fibre option route. I want one for my 200 now lol.

With it being a track car I'd definitely recommend some braided lines and uprated fluid (I've got Motul RBF600 in our 200).

As for cage? FMP had one fitted a month or so ago and it looks the part.

Nice mate!! I have the v1's and I can't knock them to be honest.
Love the racing blue cup racers so this is going to be good to see when it's further along.
I found the speedlines to be a bit heavier but prefer the way it drives with a decent set of tyres. Made it feel a lot more planted.
Keep it coming:thumbup::thumbup1:

Wheels back from fresh powdercoating on Friday, over the moon with them. They are like brand new I can barely fault em'.
Put of a set of mid range Hankook V12's which i've had before, im pretty happy with them as the car will have to endure some wet weather driving occasionally so couldn't really go full on track tyre... yet :innocent:

Now need my Kw's in asap, also in the last shot you can see a fair bit of room for some spacer action? :woody:

Stripped Clio quite practical :smile:
wheels1-1_zps74d35202.jpg

wheels2-1_zpsb6d6c1e3.jpg

wheels3-1_zpsfec2132e.jpg

wheels4-1_zpsaddaba29.jpg

wheels5_zps614fe998.jpg

wheels6_zpsaf867ef1.jpg

Cheers, its starting to look a lot nicer especially after some wax!

Thinking about throwing caution to the wind and fitting 15/20mm spacers....

How much did you pay for the refurb? Looks brilliant! Need my white ones done

Roof scoop would be class but couldn't be arsed with leakage!

Just back from stag weekend in Riga so haven't taken any pics yet. Also super rainy but I'm loving how it drives with the kw's. standard stuff is just too firm in my opinion!

Refurb was on a special offer at £205 for all 4 I think!