Rant

Just going to have a little rant/moan. It might just be me, but since I owned the Clio, people just want to sit up my arse everywhere I go. It's nearly every day. By all means I don't drive like granny, I drive cars for living so I'm always on the road in different cars all day, it just seems to be in my Clio where people just want to sit on my bumper all the time.

I can can understand if I was doing 30 in a 40, 35 in a 50 etc but I'm always doing the speed limit, sometimes 10 mph more than I should, and yet they still want to sit up my arse and sometimes do that swerving sh*t behind me. Seriously what are these people gaining from this, if there's two lanes I'll get over and let the pr**k pass.

I have/had bad road rage in the past where It gets very violent, and I ain't one for backing down (male pride and all that b***ocks) but I'm older and wiser now and life's to short to be angry over stupid road rage.

But I got to admit it, makes my blood boil when people do this when I'm in my pride and joy, just want to drive my car in peace.

Do do any of you guys get this when driving your Clio? Apologies for the swearing. Rant over lol

Ocasionally happens to me, usually some clown in an Audi or a bmw, or Passat. Soon put them in there place as its all twisty roads around me...

Had this the other day, young lad with his bit of stuff in the passenger seat, 2.5 BMW Z4. Yep, he couldn't get past the Clio on the bypass and as we were approaching the roundabout, lets just say Z4's can't match the stopping power of a 197.

Yeah I've noticed this too, it happens fairly often in the same sort of circumstances it's happened to you. All I can think is that they see it's a sporty car that they're following and they feel that they want to try and prove something - or goad you into racing...

Tailgaters boil my p and it's a pet hate of mine, but best just to let them get on with it and keep the red mist at bay. They'll overtake at some point and then sit in front of you without making any progress :whatever:

Had this at the weekend on the A12, A130 and A13, basically from Dartford to Colchester.

All were jammed so just kept a safe braking distance with morons on my touche. One guy undertook in a Puma - ha ha should have seen the muppets face when I pulled up and past him at the traffic lights.

Dont like being bullied, but often have to restrain myself as to box someone in whos trying to undertake... All could get very messy very quickly.

LOL must be white 197s fella :innocent:

I'm not shy to having a bit of street racing, but when I bloody 1.2 corsa/diesel something comes steaming up your arse, I think to myself seriously! If I was in there position I wouldn't mug myself off trying to race a car knowing I'll lose regardless how good of a driver I was.

Prime example yesterday, it was pissing down where I live, roads were a little greasy, on mini dual carriage way with the missus in the car, a BMW 420d came hammering up, so I got over, he then gets into my lane and sits on my bumper, so I get back in the other lane and sits on my bumper again (c**t comes to mind) so blood boils up, so I get in left lane rapidly slam on the brakes so I get this idiot next to me, but now he won't come next to me and backs off braking, so I'm braking even more to a point where I'm doing 20 mph. I've lost my temper now, the missus is telling to leave it calm down. So I drove back up to speed calmed down but he held right back. i don't understand what this guys problem was, I got over to let him pass, I didn't cause him to brake at all. What was going through his head to act like a dick

Think thats just BMW drivers for ya fella.

Dont get me started on drivers that emergency stop for birds or squirrels!:bash:

It's funny the effect some cars can have. Been a few times I've followed a young driver and when they've clocked the Clio they suddenly start driving like a maniac to keep up/stay ahead. They don't seem to understand it's a 30....I'm NOT racing.... Open up to some NSL and GAME ON though :innocent:

Think thats just BMW drivers for ya fella.

Don't get me started on drivers that emergency stop for birds or squirrels!

Don't forget Audi drivers too! It hasn't really happened to me on the main roads around here, people don't really much about the car and probably think its a 1.2. Only on WOT do they look around to see what is was. But I get it quite a bit on local roads. There's potholes every 10 metres and the road is not smooth at all. So I take it easy and sometimes get tailgaters. I usually go even slower to piss them off or stop and ask them if they're going to pay to repair my suspension. I'm not proud of my road rage but if people weren't such impatient idiots then there wouldn't be a problem.

On the topic of birds, I've stopped giving a monkeys and usually just carry on. I would usually stop and even then they wouldn't move out the way. But these birds are super stubborn and if they want to play chicken, so be it.

Last edited:
I agree I think some people do reckons these clio's are 1.2 with a body kit on lol. I just seem to be attracting that one idiot a day lately, I only live 10 minutes away from where I worked so the cars always cold, so half of that journey kangarooing about :smiley: just want to get to work with no one licking my back bumper. Must be the Essex air or something lol

same here ricky..by the time i get to work my car is starting to warm up..wont race anyone on a cold engine....

The biggest thing that p*ss*s me off is when people put their foot down while I'm overtaking them. Normally it's people dawdling who floor it as I'm along side them making overtaking dangerous, then if I can't get past, the dawdle again. Its enfuriating, people do it more since I got the clio but it was a bigger problem when they did it with my old 1.1 106

Always happens.

Had people overtake me for doing 30 in a 30 on a main road. Actually on the other side of the road, to get around me, even though I'm doing the speed limit. Happened earlier today, followed the guy home and gave him a mouthful of how much of a dull moron he is for pulling a stunt like that while narrowly missing a car and nearly pushing me off the road.

He told me to do what I like, so I told him that if he does it again and I catch him, I'll post it online. He walked away. Turns out, he only lives around the corner for me, silly idiot.

I would just drive normal and safe pal at the end of the day if they hit the back of you it's there fault! I can see how it would be very annoying tho! I was coming back from Blackpool last year and there was a convoy of people in a vauxhalls astra corsa vxr and they kept trying to accelerate up behind me and slow down then accelerate again. I just drove normal within the speed limit as I had my 2 young kids in the car with me. They did signal/ apologise when they overtook right enough when they seen the kids.

without sounding harsh - its only an issue if you let it become one. Just ignore them / let them past, if you start reacting then you are as bad as them - if they are driving like a helmet, make a note of the reg and report it.

For me, it's not often that I get much bother in the Clio. I tend to just stick the cruise control on at the speed limit and not let those behind bother me. If they want to drive close, then fine. If they get too close, I'll slow down a bit so if I need to stop, their lack of stopping distance will be less of an issue. If it gets silly, I'll just indicate, pull over and stop. I've had mouthbreather get out at some traffic lights after doing this to ask what I was doing, I just said it looked like you were in a rush so I let you get one with it. They gave me a "does not compute" look and huffed and puffed so I just drove off when the lights went green.

It used to be really, really bad with my girlfriends new shape Ford Ka. The aggression, bullying and sheer ****wittery that other people would pull to get ahead, even if speeding, was mindboggling. Now she has a 2.5 Z4 and you just have to accept that everyone tailgates you in that :d

Given some of the stories (invented or not) that I've read on Pistonheads about road rage incidents, I just try and avoid confrontation. It's not worth the chance that the other person is a complete psychopath. Half the time though I think people don't actually realise that how close they're driving, and that it looks aggressive. Most people hate driving and would rather be somewhere else, and so put very little thought into what they're doing.

Had this the other day, young lad with his bit of stuff in the passenger seat, 2.5 BMW Z4. Yep, he couldn't get past the Clio on the bypass and as we were approaching the roundabout, lets just say Z4's can't match the stopping power of a 197.
[MENTION=50966]Adam93[/MENTION] - your Z4 driver obviously just bottled it, the pedal feel on them is awful but if you push hard enough you can easily get the ABS kicking in. The tyres on my misses' are 225 section and there's more braking from the rear so it might actually outbrake a 197... I'll give it a try, as both of our cars have the same spec Eagle F1s.

Whilst we're enjoying story time, ill share one of mine.

Was up in Norfolk last weekend, a few wippy little roads before dual carriageway and id had a bit of fun with a golf heading up there two days before, so I had an idea of the general layout of these couple of roads. Im behind a 640d bmw, probaly about 300hp, not a slow car by any means, we were both making decent ground, not racing or anything just progressive driving. Next thing I look in my rear view, I see a suzuki swift up my arse, young guy with his mrs (I assume) next to him, I thought ok maybe a swift sport wanting to play.

Me and the bmw turn a corner and give it the beans, this swift lags behind and is suddenly an ant in the rear view, so just a bog standard swift. Think nothing more of it, hit the roundabout about a mile up the road which leads onto the dual carraigeway, the bmw goes straight on and I'm turning left, stop to giveaway and the swift has just caught up at this moment, obviously misses a gear changing down and spins his wheels into the middle of the roundabout, engine screaming narrowly missing a car. Obviously he's pissed that we left him further back up the road.

Morale of the story, know which league your in.