Tailgate rust bubble peeling - Warranty covered?

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
So I've been aware of a rust bubble developing on the common spot between the tailgate and rear window (In the middle) but was hoping it would survive until I had the time to sort it.

Unfortunately I had my car washed today and realised they had stripped the paint off this area, presumably with the pressure washer.

I went to the loughborough dealer and got told they can't even look at it because they don't have a body shop. Then said I'd have to contact a body shop in leicester which isn't even a renault body shop.

Not sure what to do next. I've seen people say contact Renault UK directly but not sure where the email/number is for this kind of thing?

Any help/opinions?

bCRkkBu.jpg
A7xp7m0.jpg
OfHLdFy.jpg

Just got a reply back from the 3rd party body shop that the Loughborough dealer uses.

Sent them the pictures above and they think the tailgate might have had a respray which means the warranty is void.

Opinions? I can see their point, the surface exposed by the missing paint doesn't look like bare metal to me but difficult to tell...

try here - https://www.renault.co.uk/contact1.html I think they may have a live chat option too.

Been trying the live chat option and keep getting told there are no agents avaliable.

I would prefer to keep this whole thing to email as then I've got recorded proof of everything that was said.

EDIT:

So just got off a live chat with Ahmed Jama. He has contacted the garage I contacted and I should be able to make an appointment to have it checked.

The fact that garage has already said they think it's not the original paintwork makes me nervous about going there. Feel like they are just gonna bullshit me.

Last edited:
renault fitted the rear screen to low on some cars (yes have a look around and some are not as close to the metal) hence the rust issues - when renault do them they also remove rear window & re-position it

renault fitted the rear screen to low on some cars (yes have a look around and some are not as close to the metal) hence the rust issues - when renault do them they also remove rear window & re-position it

Should I be asking for a replacement tailgate to make sure the rust doesnt come back?

Should I be asking for a replacement tailgate to make sure the rust doesnt come back?

Unfortunately that’s not up to you to decide, it’s not even up to the dealership to decide. Each case is individual and to be honest I’d be surprised if they covered that.

Re if the tailgate has been painted, a quick paint depth reading will soon tell if it’s been painted or not. Have you check the inside of the tailgate for any corrosion? I’ve had two Clios and both had corrosion inside the tailgate near the drain holes on both of them.

Good luck though!

Was the pressure washer a shot blaster? :openmouth:

You can try get it on warranty mate but looking how the paint's flaked off I'd be very surprised if it hasn't been resprayed before and not very well by the looks of it. You never know it might have been done under warranty in the past so that could open up another avenue...

I managed to get mine repaired not replaced through Renault UK a few months ago, apart from the person dealing with my claim going on holiday and not notifying me it all went pretty seamless.

Contacted Renault UK through the live chat function, explained the situation and also mentioned quite a few people on this forum have had theirs done through warranty.

They booked me in a official Renault repairer local to me to have some paint depths took (this is what the garage should do for you now, hope it is original paint for you!!) they were happy with those, sent the readings away, with some pictures of the car and service history record.

Few days later the warranty work had been approved and booked in along with a courtesy car.

**Just to note, a lot of people say you need full Renault service history for them to honour the warranty, I can assure you this isn't the case as my car only has one or two Renault stamps.

However I have seen a few people be unsuccessful with their claims, there isn't actually any logic behind how they decide but because they never did a recall it's not actually an 'official' problem. I had mine repaired, I've seen people have theirs replaced and I'm sure I even saw that 2 people went to a dealership and sent their claims off, one got accepted and the other didn't!

Don't worry too much about the garage saying it could have already been resprayed, they can't make up paint depth readings so when they check, it will either show it has been painted or hopefully that it hasn't.

Good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly for you. (apologies for the essay!)

Reactions: Barney626
I live in Finland, and i had spotless service history including body checks, and valid anti-corrosion warranty.
Renault denied to pay fix, because they said that damage has been come from outside.
That was end of my renault dealer services. I do maintenance myself now

18472333_120332000764361014_1021473448_o.jpg\medium

Last edited:
I made a claim for mine I bought the car having seen the rust and knowing it had a 12 year corrosion warranty. Given where it is, there is no way they can claim its due to stonechips, etc. They can however check if the tailgate has been painted before via a paint depth check as above. I have claimed before on previous marques and had it accepted so was pretty confident this would be accepted.

You dont need a full service history either. Take it along and have a punt. They can only say no, then it may be cheaper to replace the tailgate.

They didnt even check my paint depth or service history but each dealer is different.
20170923_164752.jpg

Reactions: Barney626
Unfortunately that’s not up to you to decide, it’s not even up to the dealership to decide. Each case is individual and to be honest I’d be surprised if they covered that.

Re if the tailgate has been painted, a quick paint depth reading will soon tell if it’s been painted or not. Have you check the inside of the tailgate for any corrosion? I’ve had two Clios and both had corrosion inside the tailgate near the drain holes on both of them.

Good luck though!

I've got corrosion near the drain holes on mine, did you manage to stop it spreading?

Long discussion with Renault who decided it had already been repaired (unofficially) so couldn't help.

Had some other work carried out on bodywork and the guy said he would do the repair without removing the screen but obviously couldn't guarantee the work.

The result looks good and even if it reappears then I will get him to re-do before I sell.

Cost was minimal as it was mainly absorbed with the other work done.

Overall (as much as could be expected) the result is a success and not expensive.

Long discussion with Renault who decided it had already been repaired (unofficially) so couldn't help.

Had some other work carried out on bodywork and the guy said he would do the repair without removing the screen but obviously couldn't guarantee the work.

The result looks good and even if it reappears then I will get him to re-do before I sell.

Cost was minimal as it was mainly absorbed with the other work done.

Overall (as much as could be expected) the result is a success and not expensive.

What colour was yours?

Just thinking fixing one of the metallic paints like nimbus or LY is gonna need a respray of the whole pannel?

Albi blue.

It was a smart repair and he only touched an area about 3 inches along the lip so he managed to blend in the respray fairly easily but without any guarantee.

So car is going into a Renault garage early next week to have the paint checked.

Fingers crossed...

I had original paint in my boot, no success ..
Seems to be really different how renault uk and finland is servicing customers.

Did they give a reason for rejecting you?

They said that this type of rust is not included in body anti-corrosion warranty, it is paint warranty thing.
Paint warranty is only few years from new, so no more valid.
When i said this is manufacturing defect, thay told me that this kind of rust is caused by stone chip or something outside damage. Total bullshit.