RAC man... Awful experience!!

Now usually when I have needed the RAC they are really friendly, helpful and get the job done.

Initially the guy seemed friendly on the phone and on arrival.. The issue was both my headlights had cut out at the same time so I couldn't drive home. I thought it might be the switch itself or a fuse.

He started by talking about how poor the build was as he couldn't get to the headlights, and as he was trying to get to a main bulb in the headlight he snapped the air pressure sensor.

I didnt say anything initially as I wanted him to fess up to it, however that never happened... And after diagnosing both bulbs had blown he told me I would need to go and pay for a new sensor to be fitted.

I could tell he wasn't happy, as he had tried wedging out a broken piece from the sensor from inside my manifold for 10 minutes with no success. So i simply said "im sorry but i cant pay for this... It was fine before you broken it".

He said "so are you telling me i broke this?" And i said yes it was fine before. He turned angry, said he wasn't going to touch my car anymore, collected all his tools and revved off?! Very distressing as a customer paying for a service..

I called up the RAC to say what had happened and they have a new guy coming to sort my headlights out and talk about the sensor... Wish me luck!

Goodluck.

Howd he manage that its no where near the lights lol

They are only 10 quid on ebay anyway, wouldnt have thought theyd complain too much about replacing that...

dont u have to take the top bit off in order to get it out???
sorry to hear that..what an idiot...how could he leave u stranded??no decency whatsoever..i would file a complain...

Assuming your sat at the roadside waiting as your typing? lol,

good luck with the next guy.

Goodluck.

Howd he manage that its no where near the lights lol

They are only 10 quid on ebay anyway, wouldnt have thought theyd complain too much about replacing that...

My thoughts exactly. However, my MAP sensor was broken and I bought a cheap eBay replacement. The car was virtually undriveable with it, cut out constantly etc. I ended up having to buy the replacement Renault part at around £100+VAT.

My thoughts exactly. However, my MAP sensor was broken and I bought a cheap eBay replacement. The car was virtually undriveable with it, cut out constantly etc. I ended up having to buy the replacement Renault part at around £100+VAT.

Handy to know if mine ever brakes, thanks Eddie.

OP: get them to replace with oem!

Assuming your sat at the roadside waiting as your typing? lol,

good luck with the next guy.

Indeed i was! Wasn't a main road or anything though so was alright..

The next guy that came is the kind that would have won the excellence in customer service award or something.. He was real good!

Job done and they will pay for the sensor.

dont u have to take the top bit off in order to get it out???
sorry to hear that..what an idiot...how could he leave u stranded??no decency whatsoever..i would file a complain...

I know right! Hes on the job and didn't feel bad or have decency whatsoever... I'm going to file a complaint about him tomorrow, but I will mention how good the 2nd guy was.

Its interesting how the quality of service can differ so drastically from each job.

Unfortunately that's the way the world is... Horrible people and really nice people! Glad to hear you'll say about how good the second guy was too :smile: Glad to hear you're all sorted!

How on earth did he manage to damage the map sensor?

Glad all is sorted mate but both bulbs being blown at the same time is a bit weird. Did you come to the bottom of this? Did something cause it?

all recovery companys seem to be equally bad, i had an experience with the AA, i had a 4x4 Sierre Cosworth at the time which had blown the head gasket, explained to them on the phone that the head gasket had gone and would need recovering, explained that it was 4 wheel drive so would need a flat bed, on hour passed and a tail lift truck arrives, the guy tries to convince me that it was ok to tow by just pick up the front end, explained to him thatas the rear wheels turn, they will in turn drive the front wheels, he seemed confused by this concept.

anyway, he goes away and says another turck is on the way, an hour passes and another tail lift arrives, explain the storey to the new guy who understands the issue and calls for another truck, another hour passes and a beaver tail arrives, mentioned that i was concerned about how low the car was and was worried that it wouldnt clear the hump from the tail to the main bed, he assures me he has done this sort of thing before, connects the winch and starts to pull the car on, front bumper hits the tail and pulls the splitter off, undetered he carries on snapping the front bumper side mounts, then to top it off crushes the exhaust on the afore mentioned hump. to be fair the guy admitted what he had done and gave me a form to fill in to describe the damage caused, jumped in the cab and set off for home.

or so i thought. half an hour on he pull in to the services and stops, i ask whats going on and he explains that he has got to unload me as he comes off shift at 2am (its currently 1am) and would therefore be able to get back in time after dropping me off.

Unloads and finally we get the flat bed truck i had initial stated we needed.

all in all a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

Recovery companies are useless! I recently had the same problem (both headlights go simultaneously), changed them both and still working couple weeks later, weird!

I was looking at ebay replacements, is it worth getting the oem? Its 10X the price but if its going to affect the driving ill have to get it!

I was looking at ebay replacements, is it worth getting the oem? Its 10X the price but if its going to affect the driving ill have to get it!

No good fella, honestly. It's one of those things you get what you pay for. Thought I was saving myself £100 but the car didn't idle correctly, it cut out and stalled etc until I got the Renault part.

No good fella, honestly. It's one of those things you get what you pay for. Thought I was saving myself £100 but the car didn't idle correctly, it cut out and stalled etc until I got the Renault part.

Is it easy to fit? Looks like it would be a clip in job :smile: ill order soon from Renault garage!

Very straight forward. It'll just pop into the top of the manifold with the help of some lubricant.

Cheers mate, its ordered now. Didnt want to risk further pain from someone else's mistakes! Besides they should pay for it

Couldn't agree more. It was a Renault part in it until he broke it, so you're just right getting the Renault part to replace it :smile: