Quickest "Hot Hatch"

Hi guys, just after your views/opinions if possible.

I'm in constant conversation with my mates to what they consider the quickest and overall best "Modern Hot Hatch".

Ignoring powerhouses like the Megane, Focus RS and R32 by the way.

What's everyone's favorite between the likes of the 197/200, VXR Corsa, Golf GTI, Fiesta ST, Civic Type R, FR/Cupra Leon and Cooper S?

I think everyone on here is going to say the clio. It was certainly my pick after looking at all the cars in your list

The Clio is the most fun and the best handling. The Corsa is too chavvy and doesn't do anything particularly brilliantly from all the write ups I have read. Civic Type R died the moment it went so fugly. Terrible IMO. Big, heavy, lazy car with a high revving petrol engine? Not a good combo IMO. Fiesta ST was never quite there. The Clio is just better than it. Golf GTi is the next best, but damm is it expensive! Leon Cupra is good, but not as interesting to look at as the rest, one of the reasons why I changed my mind and went for the 3 MPS.

I think we need to clarify a few things first of all... IMO a 'hot hatch' is a three door performance car, which makes you smile, at the moment there are large and small hot hatches, which one are we talking about??? :smile:

Clio, Corsa, Fabia, 500, etc are all small
Meg, Astra, MPS, Cupra, FRS etc are all large
With the Type-R somewhere inbetween...

If you are after the biggest bragging rights it is the 300bhp Focus RS.
If you need tunability then it is a VXR.
If you are after something different MPS.
If you're buying for your GF (and secretly love it) Fiat 500 Abarth.
If you're after the best fun per £££, it has to be the Clio.

If you want to go fastest - Meg (Trohpy).

If you are after the biggest bragging rights it is the 300bhp Focus RS.
If you need tunability then it is a VXR.
If you are after something different MPS.
If you're buying for your GF (and secretly love it) Fiat 500 Abarth.
If you're after the best fun per £££, it has to be the Clio.
If you want to go fastest - Meg (Trohpy).

I'd say that's not too far wrong. :smile:

Yup good point Arran, I completely forgot about that!

Alternatively, if you have more money than sense - buy an S3 haha :smiley:

If you want to learn about the ST, click on the link in my signature :wink:

ST has a very serious image problem!

Yup good point Arran, I completely forgot about that!

Alternatively, if you have more money than sense - buy an S3 haha :smiley:

Or 1 Series M-Sport Beemer *hock sphew
Freshly pressed shirts hanging in rear drivers window are of course optional :tongueout:inky:

Clio is the quickest around a track i'd imagine, but the Golf GTI is the all out winner in every aspect for me.

Clio is the quickest around a track i'd imagine, but the Golf GTI is the all out winner in every aspect for me.

Apart from being a Golf. Just can't stand them. They are as common as poo, you see all the wrong types of people driving them, they are over priced and don't look very good. All IMO obviously, but I didn't even consider one when I looked at which car to buy next.

Totally over priced i agree, but to me a true hot hatch is a car thats totally uncomprimisable in day to day living with it and can then turn into a track weapon as and when you wish.

For me the clio is a touch too biased towards speed and less so being a practical car, not that i have a problem with that, but we're talking about ultimate 'hot hatchs' here not track cars.

I had a go in a new Fabia VRS at the weekend. Power wise just as quick if not quicker but the feel is just not there. It felt like a normal car with more power. By comparison the 200 feels like a race car with road bits added.

I know what you mean Ben. Clio is starting to be a compromise for me, that's why I have made the decision to change it.

R32 missing from that List, aswell as the Golf R which is a monster of a engine

Yup IMO it isn't the best in class, it is a good all rounder, but as they say 'jack of all trades, master of none'...

Or 1 Series M-Sport Beemer *hock sphew
Freshly pressed shirts hanging in rear drivers window are of course optional :tongueout:inky:

Not hot hatch... But a great car!

What about the Citreon DS3R 200hp and was on top gear, It beat the clio 200 and the fiat 500 arbarth?? Around monaco track or was the hamster driving to 200 slowly on purpose!