Questions about detailing

been looking around now for hours and fancy trying the dodo range,from what iv read on mostly this site :smiley:, on my albi blue 197, the only thing is i dont have a garage to do the work and dont have a polisher :worried:, can the detailing be done out in the sun or would it need to be shaded ? proberbly a daft question but thought i should ask it.

will wash car with auto glym stuff as thats what i have atm.

dodo juice lime prime lite - do i need to polish car first ? or does that just make it a better finish?

dodo blue velvet - or is it worth paying the extra for the pro edition?

dodo juie red mist - should i just use this at the end ? it says it can be used but will it make a difference?

not done any cleaning like this before, picked up a few tips on the other posts though:smile:, usualy just a quick wash shammy down n then a £7.99 wax lol wanna do it right this time, but dont wanna go to extreams of payin £100 on wax

So many different answers but
1.wash car 2 bucket method
2.clay bar it
3.de tar it
4.wash again
5.prepair paint
6.polish
7.wax it
Basics as I'm not a pro but if you want expert opinion ask Russ of here
You can pay a fortune for stuff and you will
Good luck

Best to start cheap IMO.

I'd recommend some raceglaze pre wax with a £5 sample tub of raceglaze 55 wax.

Just these bits will give that car a great finish for only £20.

Try vertar.com and if you vote for a car in the comp you get £5 off

lol roy even that sounds alot to start with, thanks pb.200 will try that n will build the washin kit up everytime i have a go at it :smiley: so u will prob see me on here alot :smiley:

As Roy said, key here is to prep the paint properly before waxing.

To get a good finish, you don't need a machine polisher etc, just a good set of products and the correct process.

Keeping costs down, I'd go for:

- Bilt Hamber Autoclay (Soft) - £10.99

If you feel the surface of your paint, you'll probably note that it feels quite rough to the touch, particularly the bottom half of your doors, for example. Claying this surface will remove the bonded contaminants you are feeling, including fallout and tar. If you have EXCESS amounts of tar, then a dedicated tar remover (such as Autosmart Tardis) is advisable, to cut down your claying time :smile:

- Dodo Juice Lime Prime (NOT Lite) - £13

Now that your paint is perfectly smooth, you will want to prepare it for the wax layer which you are about to apply. Using a paint cleanser with light abrasives will do a good job of removing any oxidisation you may have and will help cut back some light scratches and bird poo etchings etc.

I would specifically suggest steering clear of Lime Prime Lite as it can be a paint to use and doesn't contain any abrasives, which I suggest you will need on your first attempt. Lite dries VERY quickly, and as such can be a pain to remove, so stick to the normal Lime Prime, which is a lot easier to use :smile:

- Wax

Now, I agree with PB200 on this point, the Dodo waxes are decent enough, but opting for something like RaceGlaze 55, gets you something very special. However, be aware that the £5 'sample' pot you get is TINY, so you will only be able to get about 2 layers out of it. A full sized pot is £68, but it punches well above its weight, and is a superb wax in its price range.

If you are set on Dodo, then I'd go for Purple Haze over Blue Velvet as it's a bit nicer to use (being soft), or ideally Purple Haze Pro, which will give you better durability.

Another choice is Chemical Guys 50/50 Ltd Edition, which is what I use on nearly all of the cars I do. It's £40 a pot, but what you get it THE easiest wax out there to use, a stunning finish and above average durability. If you can splash £40, then it's the one I'd go for...

Now, in terms of Red Mist, where most people go wrong, is they apply is straight over their freshly waxed, not fully cured, car. This would mean that the solvents in Red Mist essentially eat way the wax layer on the car, leaving all of your hard work unaccounted for!! Rather than Red Mist, I'd look at the supporting product for whichever wax you decide to go for, so Pro Detailer QD from CG if you get the 50/50 or Clearmist if you get the Raceglaze. Both of these products are Carnauba based, so will compliment your wax layer, rather than replacing it!

Red Mist is fine to use after 24-48 hours, but I've never been a fan....

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks alot russ that should be posted up and made as a main thread for people wanting to start off detailing, explained great about different products, and not gonna cost an arm and a leg for someone that wants to start practicing will prob buy better stuff down the line but wanna learn how to use the products first :smiley:

alright back again well as this is the first day iv had a chane to have a go with my new stuff was starting to clean the car and noticed the tar, well guess what i forgot to get "mongo" clay bar, so the jobs been put on hold the now till i get the clay bar, just woundering though i went with the raceglaze wax and pre wax , was looking around and noticed they sold a clay bar with a lube
http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/car-care-exterior/surface-preparation/race-glaze-clay-glaze-system/
would this be better or would the bit hamber clay bar be just as good? cant find a lube to go along with the hamber

any help appreciated :smiley:

I've got some race glaze clay but not used it yet. Rumour has it that it's the same as swissvax but cheaper. Not sure how true that is though.

Best clay I have used is Zymols but to be honest it's far too expensive for what you get.

This may sound daft, but isn't clay just clay? Surely it's the lube that helps?

FYI I use meguires clay and AG lube, works a treat and isn't expensive

Hi guys,

I thought some of you might be interested to see our latest Dodo Juice clay prices:

Individual:

Dodo Juice Basics Of Bling Clay 55g - £5.85 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £5.56)
Dodo Juice Basics Of Bling Lube 500ml - £6.85 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £6.51)
Dodo Juice Basics Of Bling Clay 110g - £10.85 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £10.31)
Dodo Juice Supernatural Premium Clay 240g - £18.50 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £17.58)
Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lube - £8.85 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £8.41)

Kits:

Dodo Juice Basics Of Bling Clay Kit 1 (55g BOB clay & 500ml BOB lube) - £11.95 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £11.35)
Dodo Juice Basics Of Bling Clay Kit 2 (110g BOB clay & 500ml BOB lube) - £16.95 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £16.10)
Dodo Juice Supernatural Clay Kit (240g SN clay & 500ml Born Slippy) - £25.95 (with 5% discount & free p+p - £24.66)

If there's anything that we could help with, please send me a PM or email (md@monsterdetail.co.uk). In order to get the 5% forum discount, payment must sent via PayPal gift). A further 2.5% discount is available for collection.

Kind regards

Matt
Monster Detail