Few detailing questions

Okay guys, I've been taking my hand to detailing and some swirl removal etc for my own use with much research and got some really good results on my last car.

I now own my first white car and it has a slight but of swirling that I plan to remove.
Can anyone recommend good polish with even a very slight cut. I tried the auto finesse triple 3 in an unnoticeable spot by hand but didn't do much as it would have with my old car. Guessing the paint is completely different.

Any white filler glazes that can be recommended?

Finally what products should I use on the black part of my front and rear bumpers for swirl removal and get that gloss back gleaming?

Just cautious on my 200 as it will be my pride and joy once I get her spotless. Just seems completely different than my Hyundai Coupe SIII

Results on my old car after my first attempt with a DA polisher.
559b5319e06cc57c977f9a7028ea1e04.jpg4f33fe6de0e9158455dbd806c731b892.jpg

Reactions: SeanTheSheep
in ym opinion you should just use meguiars m205 for light swirl removal with white Late County pad. If that doesnt do the trick id use a Orange pad with m105 which is more aggressive and should get them out.

This sub reddit has tons of information in the FAQ. https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetailing/

This guy also has a 5 part series that will teach you pretty much everything you need to know.

This guide in particular is straight to the point but not as in depth as the video.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetailing/comments/21xj3m/guide_the_getting_started_into_da_polishing/

This is all done with a DA Polisher, i wouldn't really recommend trying to remove swirls by hand.

Reactions: Roshi69
What an effort on your last car - wow!

Meguiars range is very good - it has an arrow system to vary how much cut the polish has. Won't go quoting which ones as I'm out of touch with polishes.

Chemical guy hexologic pads are very good - green would be a good start.

I've never done much in the way of cutting which has me scared. most ive used is Autoglym Super Resin which was the day of the 2nd picture and it came out brilliantly.

Also dont know how the treat the bumpers with being plastic. do i take it much easier than the paint (not that i'd be applying much pressure anyway)

and especially the black gloss parts as they are definitely not up to my OCD standards lol.

As Jordan says, watch Junkman (possibly junkman2000) on YouTube. His videos are entertaining and brilliant. He shows you not to be scared of getting scratches out. If you're using a DA, you'll find it difficult to do any damage. I'd steer clear of a rotary for the time being though

As Jordan says, watch Junkman (possibly junkman2000) on YouTube. His videos are entertaining and brilliant. He shows you not to be scared of getting scratches out. If you're using a DA, you'll find it difficult to do any damage. I'd steer clear of a rotary for the time being though
Yea I have a DA. Gonna maybe attempt it over the weekend if the weather permits. I'll try get photos before and after

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kevlar
DA machines are a safe bet but can be labour intensive for swirl removal. As for fillers for a white car then give Poorboys White Diamond Glaze a go.

Quick update: I managed to get a stab it it the other day. Wash, polish, seal, glaze, wax.

Overall I got very good results, attached are some pics before and after on problem areas/scratches

I noticed this morning in direct sunlight that there are still some long swirls/very light marks up the side and the black plastic on the front bumper didn't come up much either.

After all them steps, what's my best approach at tracking the scratches/swirls? Should I just use Poorboy's white diamond filter glaze then wax again?055645428bb2be5737583d0720871159.jpg90d32989df1c72661fc27e3ff7521095.jpg19181289b37ab5ef2b458c9c61ed1241.jpga4628afcd52702751c6103069bbd0783.jpg1e574627483bda4306c856fc1e5bfb95.jpg

Reactions: Sean197
So, another quick wash today and here's a quick video sitting the beading left with using the GYEON Q2M WETCOAT. Simple great product to use. Simply leave the car wet after washing and rinsing, apply to a panel and instantly rinse off. The you have it, a nice hydrophobic coating [emoji4]

Just my comment.. but unfortunately those pics which you are posting dont tell anything about swirls.
You have to use led / halogen lights correctly to see swirls. Like this before correction:

small.jpg

And some after:
small.jpg

small.jpg

I was using a torch I got from work to see for myself when doing it and there was a big difference, as I say though, a fraction of them still remain and I'm no detailer, just have an interest in it and do it for myself.
The before and after in your one is ridiculous! That's the dream for me lol.

Also as it was only my second time using the DA I was still scared to do any real cutting and was using very light pads

My pics are good to see the scratch removal on the side skirts, the difference is night and day but as I say I'm not anywhere near your level (would absolutely love to be some day). But shows other people that are less confident that they can have a pretty good stab at it.

Renault sport models have quite hard lacquer. So you need good d/a machine, like rupes LHR15 mark 2. Also use meguairs 5" microfiber cutting pad + Scholl S3 compound. With this package, you get 99% of swirls off. Also you can use rotary but it is much more difficult to use.
Dont worry about putting pressure, as long you move machine all the time. Keep paintwork tempeature in control, dont let go too hot. Be careful with plastic parts..
Just enjoy paint correcting. Das6 is good for pre wax correcting, but in my opinion it is difficult to get all swirls off.

Thanks for the tips.

I only did the black plastics at the front by hand (out of fear). Any tips on how to get it back to a glossy smooth finish?

I tried to take pictures to show how it looks bit they ask come out looking perfect, there looks to be a mixture of light scratches and general non-smoothness lol.
It doesn't feel rough as if there's lots of contamination it anything, just didn't look up to my standard. It's a sum day today so I'll try get a picture later, with a torch even if required

Renault sport models have quite hard lacquer. So you need good d/a machine, like rupes LHR15 mark 2. Also use meguairs 5" microfiber cutting pad + Scholl S3 compound. With this package, you get 99% of swirls off. Also you can use rotary but it is much more difficult to use.
Dont worry about putting pressure, as long you move machine all the time. Keep paintwork tempeature in control, dont let go too hot. Be careful with plastic parts..
Just enjoy paint correcting. Das6 is good for pre wax correcting, but in my opinion it is difficult to get all swirls off.
Just managed to get a video of the swirls in the sunlight.

I think these were created when using the autoglym super resin polish (I believe I need to use a lighter polish and pad to remove the light swirls I have now?). This is based on my videos and understanding of the junkman's videos. Top guy!

P.s. I nearly shit myself when I seen them, in fear I did damage though I applied barely any pressure and only the yellow pad using a rotary buff so I don't believe I have, got the deep scratches/marks out and just need the light swirls away [emoji4]

Those just need good correction. In my opinion rotary with proper cutting pad will do the job , but you need to finish with black hex or similar and s30 scholl compound. With da machine you can cut with microfibre cutting pads & Scholl S3, will do the job without holograms. I am sorry i always recommend these products but i just know what works well..
I have rupes lhr 15mark 2 and it is so good with microfibre pads, i dont use rotary any more if rupes makes good job.

Seen you on the A1 carriageway today! About 1.45 heading past dromore

Haha no way, I was on my way down to Dublin yesterday, biggest run I've took in the Clio. What's the chances of that!

We're you in your Clio? I never noticed any the whole journey, I always have a good look when I see one lol

Similar Thread Suggestions