pu11y's Nimbus 197

I've been on here for just over a year. Joined after buying a very low mileage Renaultsport Clio 197 full fat. Regrettably, if I'd joined first I would have realised I probably over paid, and would defiantly have got a cup spec'ed model with recaros. Nonetheless, I love it and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it; similarly, a passing glance induces the same...

Passed my test at 17 and drove a Citroen AX for the first year. Whilst it remains the comfiest car I've ever sat in, I'm glad I did't crash it, as I likely wouldn't have made it out in one piece. I recall feeding the choke on a cold morning with a strange fondest. Next up was a Clio II phase one which I treated like a beater, despite it being in good condition when I got it. Went to Uni and was a named driver on my mum's Punto Sport, which I remember as being pretty nippy and firm; however, not sure what it would feel like post 197. I always wanted a motorbike, but as I didn't want to keep my mum up at night, I started looking at hot hatches and ended up with the clio.

So far I've added the following:

Miscellaneous

• LED bulbs all round
  • Osram night breakers
  • Pressed plates
  • RS Steering wheel insert
  • RS Gear knob
  • Aluminium foot rest
  • Sprint Booster II
  • Scan Gauge II
  • Nankang NS-25 225/45/17 94W
  • ​Heko Wind Deflectors
  • CG Lock
  • Faux Carbon Aerial
  • Black badge covers
  • Rear wiper delete
  • De-tango lights
  • Sprint Spoiler
  • Ultra Racing rear brace

Exhaust & Intake

• Resonated Scorpion with straight tips
  • Scorpian Decat
  • ITG Maxogen (fitted behind battery)

Imminent plans:

• KW1 Coilovers (ready to fit when I can get the tools)
  • Spacers (not sure what size)
  • Rear window tint
  • Full paint correction
  • Paint brake callipers
  • New disks, pads, braided lines and fluid
  • Upgraded front washer jets

Future plans:

• Recaros
  • Steering wheel retrim, gear gator and HU dome (?)
  • Alcantara roof and pillar lining
  • Decat'ed manifold + remap
  • Refurbed alloys in gloss black
  • Gloss black mirror covers, diffuser and side trims
  • Sprint spoiler in gloss black
  • Clio Gt rear lights
  • Carbon Spats
  • Carbon wrap brake intake(?)

I only have a few random snaps to add for now, but I'll update them if I get a chance to detail it over the weekend:

IMG_0033_zps6a664a99.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsf424768f.jpg
IMG_2078_zpsc1b1befb.jpg

IMG_0008_zpsbd18e3d1.jpg

IMG_0755-2_zps2bc1af60.jpg

IMG_0752-2_zps37d4065f.jpg

IMG_0765_zpsc242c920.jpg

IMG_0092-2_zpsa19b0870.jpg

IMG_0747_zps99e254c2.jpg

IMG_0750_zpsd2503777.jpg

IMG_0019_zps0e1d1e03.jpg

IMG_0307-2_zpsc055c60a.jpg

8789b5f4-017e-46df-a494-468d24e25762_zpsfymhrade.jpg

0da1f6f1-8b14-4d63-b5fd-657c425db6ee_zpsvlz3opny.jpg

IMG_2766_zpsxqdrjdl7.jpg

IMG_2639_zpsdbeac630.jpg

IMG_2768_zpsqojmypjl.jpg

IMG_2732_zpsaa1757fe.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good mate!

You have same exhaust system as me, you like it?

Right decision with the hot hatch > bike!!!!

Looking good mate!

You have same exhaust system as me, you like it?

Right decision with the hot hatch > bike!!!!

Appreciate that mate.

Love it. Even had a few non-car enthusiasts describe it as 'fruity'! It is a lot louder out of the cabin, people certainly hear you coming. I'll update you when I fit a decat; do you have one?

... I'll have a bike one day though:smiley:

Coming on very nicely and about time you got a project thread started :wink:

Cheers Fernandez. Saw some flicks of your Elise on IG; did you dig her outta' the snow?

Can you check your PMs please mate.

Nice 197 mate, Lovely touches so far. Look forward to seeing the future plans unfold. [emoji4]

[video=youtube_share;7IdpACptuhg]http://youtu.be/7IdpACptuhg[/video]

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

Last edited:
Appreciate that mate.

Love it. Even had a few non-car enthusiasts describe it as 'fruity'! It is a lot louder out of the cabin, people certainly hear you coming. I'll update you when I fit a decat; do you have one?

Cheers Fernandez. Saw some flicks of your Elise on IG; did you dig her outta' the snow?

Nah mate, cat in. Im happy with it as it is!

Will get an akra one day though I think, but not on this car!

Cleaning Schedule

I'm no expert and I'd kindly request some input/ advice from the experts.

This is the planned routine I'm aiming to follow:

Exterior Decontamination (every three months)

1. Citrous pre-wash all particularly dirty areas, leave to dwell, & then jet wash whole car.
  2. Clean alloys with a decent alloy cleaner & set of brushes.
  3. Snow foam whole car & leave to dwell; rinse.
  4. Two bucket wash with a prep shampoo & rinse (top first with one wash mitt, then bottom with an fresh mitt).
  5. Tar & iron remover, leave to dwell & rinse.
  6. Two bucket wash with a prep shampoo & rinse.
  7. Dab whole car dry.
  8. Clay bar whole car with clay lube & rinse.
  9. Dab whole car dry.
  10. Clean windows & layer rain-x on outside & anti fog on inside.
  11. Hand polish body work.
  12. Wax/Seal body work.
  13. Wax/Seal alloys & add tyre shine to tyres.
  14. Protect all rubber/ plastics.

Engine Bay Decontamination (every three months)

1. Protect alternator & electrical points with sandwich bags & masking tape.
  2. Use degreasing foam on whole engine bay & rinse.
  3. Citrous pre-wash any left over grime.
  4. Protect all rubber/ plastics.

Maintenance clean (once a week)
  1. Snow foam & rinse.
  2. Two bucket wash with a pH neutral shampoo & rinse (top first with one wash mitt, then bottom with an fresh mitt).
  3. Dab Dry.
  4. Clean windows & layer rain-x on outside & anti fog on inside.
  5. Quick detail spray & buff.

Interior (every two weeks)
  1. Vacuum whole interior.
  2. Brush all vents and crevices.
  3. Interior shampoo seats.
  4. Protect all rubber/ plastics.

Anything I've got completely wrong, missed, or is redundant?

Thanks in advance.

That's good.

only thing I'd say is protect the exterior trims before you seal as some of it is messy stuff (AG for example) and it will go on your finished paintwork.

also depends on the sealant/wax you use as some of them last longer than 3 months, and if you'd want to do it in that interval you'd need an IPA wipe down. Also you prob don't need to clay every 3 months, but it depends where you drive.

edit

depending on how dirty the car is, you could skip out one wash by tar/iron removal after the snow foam, then foam it again then wash. Saves you washing it twice.

Or another option is to wash once, then before you clay, tar/iron remover. You should use a quick detailer with the clay which with that and the clay will remove any containment

Sox for any typos, on my phone :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That's good.

only thing I'd say is protect the exterior trims before you seal as some of it is messy stuff (AG for example) and it will go on your finished paintwork.

also depends on the sealant/wax you use as some of them last longer than 3 months, and if you'd want to do it in that interval you'd need an IPA wipe down. Also you prob don't need to clay every 3 months, but it depends where you drive.

Cheers Chris, advice noted. I guess I'll work on a need-by-need basis, but I wanted a routine to keep a fresh car all year around; however, I realise it's very much all weather dependent. Thanks again.

Update:

Fitted black badges and installed ScanGuage back in; shame there are gaps either side and I've lost the steering wheel controls.

114a70cc-5b4c-461b-94c8-20a9eba885fb_zpsemi3wkcm.jpg

IMG_0893_zpspfjtvs9j.jpg

IMG_0866_zpslxydv9u3.jpg

Update:

Took the rear light clusters off and cleaned all the grime which had built up behind them. Fitted Philips Silvertech indicator bulbs, to 'de-tango' the rear end, and then refitted the clusters.

45208fda-76e8-4cbd-a456-5dd77f360181_zps0ykul6hu.jpg

1b63b317-1713-41b0-9b99-0a0cd294cc86_zpsl9jenffv.jpg

1fb1b73c-7b90-4ce0-8983-f6777fe4814f_zpsz0ebarjo.jpg

53b3ab2b-b5e8-4616-bbb3-ecec32323216_zpsd5tgazyi.jpg

ff50c3e2-effe-4897-ad4a-0e730a82bca9_zpsi3ecxb73.jpg

2ee81832-6a3b-40e0-8db6-a06709bf5108_zpsjj8hzw34.jpg

f8a5dc04-2bae-4f2c-b053-af7248b710f5_zpsyzcykh3t.jpg

6936f4da-2b6e-4a32-a32e-196dd98bff8f_zpsprvvcsl7.jpg

Last edited:
Thats put me off a scan gauge now, I use my steering wheel controls :/

The buttons are 2mm to far apart to fit in place of the OEM display! I have it just wedged in there now, not sure how other people have done it? I presume I need to either widen it with a Dremel or drill holes for the buttons on one side.

I don't get why having the old display out effects the steering controls, but I'm sure I'll find a way to fix it.

Appreciate that mate.

Only just seen this mate.

I did dig her out for a play. All I can say is holy ****, ended up doing a 180 on some ice. Fortunately I was on an empty duel carriageway so no embarrassment and luckily nothing to hit.

:smile:

Last edited: