Pro's and Con's of the V6 airbox

Numbnut

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I've got the V6 airbox employed utilizing the Angel technique
:wink:

IMG_1048_zps7f247c44.jpg

We're likely getting Henk from FastChip to come to Aus to tune a bunch of cars from the OZRS forums. Here's a quote from him "The best system is the stock setup. Low pressure loss AND ambient (cold) air. (enclosed airfilter box)"
and "
Yes 90-deg bend on the TB is an issue. This will cause pressure drop."

So does anyone have positive or negative proof of the results?

I really like it. That with the 64mm throttle body made a solid improvement in down low response, critical for the 197.

It was pretty costly to get the set up (including the battery) and I'd rather not get rid of it. I really don't have to at all but if anyone has anything concrete to appease me that would be great. Additionally, if there is a thread like this already please link me a delete this one.

Cheers,

Rick.

Last edited:
Suppose I should add that he posted a couple of things to check before commencing the tune. One was air intake and what I've quoted is his response to my set up.

don't have any proof but from my old set up i had the proper pipe from the race cars and a slightly different v6 box ones rectangular and the other is square. the sound it made and the response was pretty impressive the down side of this was the price and putting battery in boot.

I'm glad you've got a 64mm TB fitted as I was considering getting one of these also. I have the same setup.

I am led to believe you can get rid of that pipe that goes to the acoustic valve now, and blank that off? - Something I need to do once I can get something to blank it off with.

I do like how it sounds though, it's so much deeper and kicks in as soon as you put your foot down.

The proper Renaultsport pipe is not a 90• and is a lot less harsh on the airflow as a result. Definitely made a difference to my car when fitted. I'd ask Henk why the Cup cars deviate from using the standard setup if there's no gains to be had by switching to the V6 setup with a larger surface area and intake aperture than the standard setup...

Pros - Sound, performance, DAT NOIIIZE!!!

Cons - Bit of a faff to fit it, worse MPG because of DAT NOIIIZE!!!

I miss my NA set-up at times. V6 air box with 63 (not 64) mm TB was superb....no real increase in power, slightly more torques but ultimately the noise.....think ketec set-up would be my option today but at the time, the options were really limited.....

Similar Thread Suggestions