Pro's and cons - 197/200

As title says, pros and cons on both, think for the next car will be either a 197 (maybe a cup) or even a 200.

Opinions on both and problems etc? Donna on here reckons a 200 lol

+ get more for you money with a 197
+ i think the front looks better than the 200

- worth less when you come to sell
- i think back of 200 looks better

+ longer warranty
+ i think back end looks better than the 197
+ will be worth more when selling

- i think the front looks better on the 197
- costs more to buy

As above^

I wasn't to sure on the 200 at first but after seen a few in the flesh I like then apart from the 5 spoke alloys. Speedlines are a must IMO

197 ive had endless problems with mine, dealers almost every week for something. But I love the car when it's working, there so much fun.

You need to get yourself a test drive in both...

I said the 200 mainly because its newer, less of and looks good. (taken me a while to get used to the front end)

The 197 is a great car but i am hoping that with the 200 they have ironed out more of the problems..

Failing that Ian.. you can always buy my one.. already modded for you :smiley:

i quite like the wheels, saw them in the dealer, and they look good, the car was silver so matched better, and made them look 18" the rear diffuser and exhzust is nice, got a nice gloss finish on the diffuser

Love white 200's

I like 200's in general but i still totally love the 197, iv got problems with my R27 but still love it.

i quite like the wheels, saw them in the dealer, and they look good, the car was silver so matched better, and made them look 18" the rear diffuser and exhzust is nice, got a nice gloss finish on the diffuser

you seen a 200 in the dealers.. lucky you.. my dealers wont get one in cause they say that it costs too much and plus no one will want them, same for the megane. Wanted to look round one and sit in it but no can do..

197 - good looking and good value performance car

200 - new version/new car + warranty got a bit more torque and you can mix and match interior etc

If only you could get the power and rear end of a 200 with the rest of the 197! Talking of which, can a 200 diffuser be made to fit a 197??

as much as the 197s are unreliable french tin cans, You love them to bits when they don't cause you any harm, It's the best car I've had but at the same time one of the most unreliable.

Im sure the 200 diffuser does go straight in aswell, but I heard it comes un-painted??

If only you could get the power and rear end of a 200 with the rest of the 197! Talking of which, can a 200 diffuser be made to fit a 197?!

oo oo i know what to do blow your engine if your under warranty lmao

Last edited:
I know my Renault garage (Bishopbriggs,Glasgow) had an RS200 in and it was very nice in mercury with 5 spoke wheels. PM darren1989 on here or give them a phone to check its still there.

For the sake of an hours drive down the M8 I would be doing that as the front end is very marmite. Im personally not keen on it or the chrome exhaust surrounds but the car looks far better up close than in pictures, he will also do you a cracking price :wink:

I do love the 200, but when i see a 197/R27 on the road they have so much more road presence than the 200! Think the 197's look so mean and wide in the rear view mirror!

I drive the 197 (bought one together with a friend) and two other friends are driving the 200.

My personal experience after driving my car for 8 months now and after doing several test drives with one of my mates 200 is the following :

Performance

Both cars are equal.
I've driven both models hard and they are the same as far as I can tell.
The thing I like about the 200 is the clutch, it's much softer and a bit easier to control, but that's about it if you ask me.

Looks

This is a matter of personal opinion, some people prefer the 197 and others the 200.
I prefer the 197.
The only thing I like about the 200 is the better looking diffuser.

Quality

I also prefer the 197 here.
I've inspected the interior of the 200 and I must say, it seems like Renault have saved some money here and there.
It looks very similar to the 197, but some materials have changed.
For example, the cloth used to cover the roof on the inside looks like some cheap material, in our 197 it looks better.

Both cars are very similar.
The only two things I like about the 200 is the better looking diffuser and the clutch.

In the end, I wouldn't dream of selling my 197 for the 200, but I can understand why some people prefer the 200 over the 197, it's a bit more civilized.

I'd buy a 200 just for the yellow-ish recaro's and the yellow seatbelts, I could get it all to match then

I'm not saying the 200 is ugly at all, but imo the 197 is a better looking car, front and back.
Although it does have a few problems that have supposably been sorted in the 200

Well i took the plunge, Getting a 197 Clio, Has The F1 Stickers (Apart from Roof) so not 100% sure if it is, although has the recaro interior etc and cup chassis, find out tomorrow what it all has ect and if it is an F1.

If it is then i will make sure and post up in the register lol,

Ian