Project "recaro cam"

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
Money is tight at the moment and I wanted to mount an interior camera but with the car having recaros it's difficult to get mounts or they're just very expensive clamps.....

I had an old compact camera amd set about creating the below mostly using stuff laying around in the garage, a drill and a dremel.

It's very light as it's all aluminium and can be fitted/removed in less than a minute all by hand.

I have some revisions I'd make if I made another but just had a bit of a test drive/video and it seems to work well.
It's mounted on thick ribber strips that help it grip the seat head and stop it damaging it. It could possibly do with a coat of paint as the aluminium has come through on the edges I've deburrer.

254555_207907552586298_100001011642261_544217_2107525_n.jpg

I plan to try a heavier camera on it but I wouldnt be mounting anything heavier than 2-300g.

Twig

Watching some of the video back makes me realise how bad the local roads are and how stiff the car is (the recaros wobble a bit too).

Forgot to put the cameras 'anti shake' mode on but the footage is more than acceptable for a 5 year old compact camera and a DIY mount.

Does anyone know of anywhere that produces something like this? I might draw up some basic measurements for others....

I had a go at this when we went to wales in march. My setup was an old monopod chopped in half and strapped to the seat. Quite tricky to mount due to the 'v' shape on the rear of the seat.

So following rethinking the previous design and the though I'd rather not have a shaft of aluminium box section pointing towards my neck in a side impact.....

I compacted the mount and so it now holds the camera effectively where the passengers head would be.

See pic, videos to come after the coastal run on sunday :wink:

Attachments

• 206220_225127924197594_100001011642261_604738_4985180_n.jpg
    206220_225127924197594_100001011642261_604738_4985180_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 51
Only issue is that the seats shake quite a lot, especially on track. I've got a clamp mount which holds onto the top of the dash (where the radio display is) very well, but costs about £30.

Just take it out, clamped with some wing nuts so no tools required.
I rarely have passengers though.

If I get a better camera I'll probly get something similar Ralphy, I just like cutting drilling and metal work :tongueout:

Try reclining the seat, then locking the seatbelt (firm tug), then angling the seat forward and bracing it against the seatbelt. Eliminates some of the shaking.

Looks great Tom! Not bad at all for a DIY job! :smile:

You will have to mount it in someone elses car and get them to follow you through some of the twisties!

fook getting a half cage just get one of these :tongueout:

on a serious note looks v well contructed. be nice to see some vids

:smile:

Yeah that's super Tom I wish I would have done something like this for tracks.

Well it certainly worked today! I am looking forward to seeing some of the vids...