Oil....

Whats the best oil...i'm just looking to top it up and not replace the oil that was put in during its last service. I imagine it was the regular stuff but it was done before i picked up the car.

Cheers in advance

James

Well you'll have to assume they used OEM Elf flavour as i wouldnt go mixing different brands.

If you ever do a full change i would advise Fuchs Titan R ( AKA Silkolene Pro S ).

If it was done at a Renault dealer then it would've been the Elf stuff.

Best bet is to ring the garage before you top up, better safe than sorry. :smile:

300V for me too, expensive but the car felt much better after switching from ELF to the motul. Just seemed to run smoother

DIY you'll be looking at around £50 for a decent oil (Fuchs etc.) or the motul would be about £65. Add another £3 for the oil filter.

DIY you'll be looking at around £50 for a decent oil (Fuchs etc.) or the motul would be about £65. Add another £3 for the oil filter.

Easier said than done. Dont you needed a tool to remove the oil filter? And the sump plug also requires a strange size tool?

When you take into consideration the cost of the tools, the hassle etc. you'd be just as cheap getting it done at a garage. I'm usually £77 for a filter change and Fuchs oil at the garage we go to.

You can remove the filter by ramming a screwdriver through it and twisting, you can get special tools though. And I think the sump plug is an 8mm square drive (Check the how-to guide) which will cost about £2-£3 from ebay.

You can remove the filter by ramming a screwdriver through it and twisting, you can get special tools though. And I think the sump plug is an 8mm square drive (Check the how-to guide) which will cost about £2-£3 from ebay.

seriously dont go ramming screw drivers through filters UNLESS its a last resort :001_unsure:

seriously dont go ramming screw drivers through filters UNLESS its a last resort :001_unsure:

Out of interest, whats wrong with this? I've only ever done it on my old car which had a much longer filter so no risk of hitting the threaded section but I can't see anything wrong with it?

Out of interest, whats wrong with this? I've only ever done it on my old car which had a much longer filter so no risk of hitting the threaded section but I can't see anything wrong with it?

there is a risk of parts of the filter getting in to places it shouldnt and also of damage to other components - dont forget the clio has an oil/water exchanger and i have known some of them to crack (not clio but others with same type fitted)

i have also known one filter to split and break round and not screw off

am not saying dont do it - but its far safer and better to use the correct tool if you have or can get one :thumbup1: