oil leak??

Two weeks back I found some oil collecting around my spark plugs, luckily the car wad going in for a service. Renault cleaned it up and we put it down to a spill when it was last topped up. it went in for MOT yesterday and i asked them to check it again. This time they have found its the cam housing seal and are stripping the engine to fix her. I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem? Fortunately its flew through the MOT and they are fixing the engine under warranty so can't grumble.

The car is well looked after and only has 18k ish miles on it.

I think this is quite a common problem and is very costly to fix at a dealer. Fortunately doesn't seem to have any affect on the engine

i think its the seal around the srew its self that starts to leak, some people have but some of the silicone stuff around it with no probs

Had the same problem, Renault Mansfield fixed it under warranty and replaced the can belt at the same time.

Mine's the same. I better get the silicone out then. Thanks guys ;-)

it can be a leak from one of the cam cover bolts or worse a leak from the seal on the spark plug tubes....if this happens its a top cover strip down and cambelt job to be done correctly as the head and cam carrier/cover is sealed via a bead of sealant!

PM you Stanners but it looks like its coming from the same problem I had. Get it to Renault they will do it under warranty.

Wow I'm glad I saw this thread! I'm 99% sure I have this problem and the cambelt needs changing in 4.5k and I have warranty until November. This could save me some money with a bit of luck!

Hi Guys, just noticed this oil leak on mine. Looks like it's coming from the inner bolt on top of the cam cover. Am I correct in thinking that I can just remove the bolt, add a little bit of silicone sealant and then tighten up again?

Has this been successful for anyone else and will silicone withstand the heat from the engine?

Hi Guys, just noticed this oil leak on mine. Looks like it's coming from the inner bolt on top of the cam cover. Am I correct in thinking that I can just remove the bolt, add a little bit of silicone sealant and then tighten up again?

Has this been successful for anyone else and will silicone withstand the heat from the engine?

yes will be fine doing that

yes will be fine doing that

Looks like I have this issue as well! :worried:

Few Q's (Sorry Im new to this Renault!) Which bolt usually leaks, it looks like the one towards the middle on mine? When I remove the bolt, where do I put the silicone, just round the head of the bolt? Also does it need torquing or just tightened sensibly?

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks like I have this issue as well! :worried:

Few Q's (Sorry Im new to this Renault!) Which bolt usually leaks, it looks like the one towards the middle on mine? When I remove the bolt, where do I put the silicone, just round the head of the bolt? Also does it need torquing or just tightened sensibly?

Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

think you have answered your own questions there :thumbsup:

but its usually - yes / yes / yes

Oil Leak Near Spark Plug

Noted oil,( same as previous pictures). car has done 39K miles.

Last edited:
oil leak from cam cover bolts

Had similar problem,(just like your pics).
Removed the 2 L/H cover bolts and fitted a small rubber "tap" washer.(available from DIY/Hardware shop at 25pence) on each bolt.
So Far O.K.