Oh dear... black soot and smoke

Ed Hall

Paid Member
Sorry to put up another post in such a short space of time.

But I had a little bit of a race with a Corsa on a straight bit of road and then there were plumes of black/grey soot from the rear of mine.

As the Corsa pulled to my side he said the stem sills have gone. I really do not know what to think!

But the car is driving fine, and is pulling fine, so the only thing is if the sports cat has got really hot that is the only thing I think it possibly be. I have been out all day in it, and its 20' today so its hot day.

Any words of wisdom or things I could check. The fluids all seem to be fine. I'm letting it cool down at the moment.

Valve stem oil seals would be a common enough fault on the VXR Astra. White smoke on start up which cleared after the car had warmed up.

I’d let it cool down and then take it another drive and report back then.

Valve stem oil seals would cause burning oil which is blue smoke, not black, and you would be able to smell it. Black soot or smoke is usually fuel related.

Valve stem oil seals would cause burning oil which is blue smoke, not black, and you would be able to smell it. Black soot or smoke is usually fuel related.

this!

oil burning is blue smoke!

sounds like you were clearing the exhaust out and you will/do get some shite chucked out the back if booting

I let it cool down two three hours and just been out for quick "smooth" run and it all appears to be fine. It had me worried, but in my mind I know its been driving fine, and the fact the soot only happened momentarily, so hopefully it won't happen again.

I let it cool down two three hours and just been out for quick "smooth" run and it all appears to be fine. It had me worried, but in my mind I know its been driving fine, and the fact the soot only happened momentarily, so hopefully it won't happen again.

dont worry just drive it

Reactions: Jimmy

or white..when i had my injector injecting to much fuel in,the smoke was white..stank of fuel obviously...

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N General Chat 4
sevenfourate Clio General Chat 12
Giles eBay Finds 7
Giles eBay Finds 2
sthomasj10 Other Renault Sports 13