No warranty on Geabox because car is on coilovers?

Beginning to wish id never bought H&R coilvoers now.

So the tl4 gearbox on my GT has a problem with the snchro in 3rd. Crunches when engaging 3rd gear.

Booked my car into Evens hell****e for next week, to be looked at under warranty. Thinking there wouldnt be any issue with it being on coilovers (Because hey I did ask them what the coilovers would effect warranty wise before fitting, and 3 people including the manager confirmed it would only be suspension related items - ball joints etc)

I havent rang them yet but I asked a mate who works there to ask them if they would try fob me off with excuses and they werent very helpful saying it all depends on the car when we get it etc. But i have a feeling they might try and give me some excuses, vibrations through the gearbox have caused it to wear out that kind of bull****.

There is no way in hell im going to let them get it up on the ramps and dismantle it all only to find I get charged £250 just to tell me whats wrong with the car only to find out they wont do it under warranty because of the suspension.

Have I got a leg to stand on before I ring them up? There are renault dealerships about that will do this work under warranty but they are quite a treck away. Wondering if ive got any ammunition to fire at them incase they try and bull**** me out of warranty work.

Could do with some help, thanks.

Coilovers probably can cause the gearbox to wear more quickly, driveshafts sit at the 'wrong' angle and could put more stresses on the gearbox components.

Although I think it would be unfair of them to fob you off, don't be surprised if they do

If you've found a renault dealer that will do it under warranty then go to them, even if its further away its better than the hastle and possible cost of using the more local one!
They will always use any excuse they can to not do it under warranty!

Well I rang them up and they said in all fairness its nothing related to the suspension, so there shouldnt be any issue. They said its only really things like bigger wheels they pull things up on.

So im actually expecting a fight still. however they wont charge me for assessing it before they carry out any work, and they said it sounds like an internal problem with the gearbox (dur) so again not suspension related.

There is no doubt that dealing with Evans Hellshaw you are in for stress at some point :wink:

It could wear the dif in the box faster due to the driveshafts being at a different angle to there original deisng but I doubt it. It would straighten the shafts out. Defo wouldnt cause a problem with the syncro rings

We had the gearbox changed under warranty on our 197 and that was on coilovers, different wheels etc, etc. Although the technician said the car had obviously been ragged, when asked why he replied "cause it has stickers on it!"

David.

It could wear the dif in the box faster due to the driveshafts being at a different angle to there original deisng but I doubt it. It would straighten the shafts out. Defo wouldnt cause a problem with the syncro rings

wont effect the diff - the drive shafts have sliding joints on so no more load will be put in to the diff

only issue would be the constant velosity joints that "could" wear due to the angel change but again they are made to work through angles....

We had the gearbox changed under warranty on our 197 and that was on coilovers, different wheels etc, etc. Although the technician said the car had obviously been ragged, when asked why he replied "cause it has stickers on it!"

David.

excellent diagnosis there :lol:

did you congratulate the "technician" on this:whatever:

Got my car back today, brand new revised gearbox. Big palava getting it on the ramps, had to wind the coils up and it ended up on the lifters at citroen.

Been really quick and have communicated well. Very pleased with my dealer.

Just a shame my new gearbox grinds under acceleration in 1st

Its as though it doesn't engage properly.

I've been told it might be the gearbox mounts need tightening. If not, time for another gearbox.

Maybe I just need to let it run in?

probably forgot to put oil in it.....

it shouldnt have a problem being "new" - should be tested before handing back to customer :@