Newbie to the site, a little help involving 197 cambelts

Hello folks!

I'm new to this site but I have checked in as a guest a few times for information on everything Renault as I find some good advise on here.

I'm checking out a tidy 197 on a 58 plate, 48000 on it and I've asked the dealer if the cambelt has been changed. He tells me it runs on a chain which lasts the life of the car. I'm thinking he is telling fibs, can anyone confirm this for me?

Many thanks

Runs on chain? Lmao.

That either means no, and he's deceiving you to get the sale. Or as above, he's a moron.

Yes....as I thought.....he is lying. Why can't we all just be honest with each other?! I have a 172 at the minute but looking to upgrade to a 197, such a nice car.

Thanks for the help guys.

It seems auto trader and eBay is full of 197s which haven't had the work done or are being sold because they are approaching the time to get the cam-belt changed. I might have to pay the membership fee on here to see what's for sale from the members.

All 197s should have the cam belt done by now.

£5 is worth it if your guna be a clio owner mate.

As above, they all should have had the belts done now. Don't rush and buy the first one, there's so many to choose from now... It's a buyers market..

I hope you find the right one and have a long stay on here :smile:

I'll pay the £5 for sure, does that give me access to what cars are for sale through here then? I have my loan money coming through and the only car I want is a 197. Had a look at a few Civic type Rs but they've all been hammered to death.

£5 gives you access yeah, click memberships at the top under the banner, tells you the benefits. Worth it for the how to threads also mate

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the search! There's too many nice ones out there to settle for a snotter. When I was searching for mine, I found that dealers didn't tend to know what they were on about with these cars... Apparently the date written in Tipp-Ex on the engine cover was proof the belts had been done :whatever:

I agree with Pully, find one with the Recaros - and Cup - if you can, so worth it :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O New Members 3
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
Danith New Members 22
Mikeyt197 New Members 35