New Car sub £40,000

So we're selling our 10plate V10 R8 and looking for a cheaper perfomance car.

Only reason for this is that the Audi has shut up in value and Audi are keen to have it back for a price we are very happy with.

New car needs to be fairly new, last 6 years and around £ 40,000.

25 mile day commute and the odd bit of long trips too.

Nothing tuned ideally?
Space for four would be nice but not essential.

Any suggestions?
Msport cars or a c63 amg on the list to drive so far.

Lotus Exige S ...... Only two seats obviously but if you've never owned a Lotus you really should drive one to experience how a car can handle when it's not overpowered to compensate for the bloatedness!

E92 M3 with the Competition pack is the sensible choice, an almost as sensible choice would be a Lotus Evora (+2 for occasional rear seats).

But with no firm requirement for rear seats I'd think a bit more outside the box...

TVR T350 and plenty of change to keep the speed6 in fine fettle.
or £35-£40k would get you a nice V8 Vantage.
If you could up the budget a bit to around £45k then a GranTurismo S would be awesome.

£28k
tvr-t350-others-S1940243-3.jpg

£39k
aston-martin-v8-vantage-coupe-v8-S2105016-3.jpg

£47k (rear seats in this one too)
maserati-granturismo-4-7-s-2dr-141947371-1.jpg

Audi RS6, yawn - such a white goods product of a car. 911's get slated at times for being an obvious choice but a fast Audi takes this critic to a whole new level :lol: I'd rather have a 997.2 S for I would think around 40k, go for the .2 facelift for the DFI engines, not sure I'd want to run .1's with a M96/M97 based lump personally.
Actually the only Audi I'd ever consider were I in a position to, would be an R8 like the op is selling! I'd want it though in V8 form, in Nogaro Blue and with carbon blades :cloud9:

I drove a c63 and a Maserati Gts back to back and there's a lot of noise and drama! The Merc was a bit lairy too. I guess I'm used to the 4wd system on the r8!

Do rs6 fit it that price range? I've always had a soft spot for rs4/rs6

Use some of the cash to stick a 200bhp Sandy Brown 16v engine in that Rallye :wink: Several years back I had a 171bhp 16v in my S2 Rallye (QEP/own build not SB), went like stink. So with ~200bhp one would be simply epic! Would allow you to compromise the daily sports car more towards the useable side of a compromise. This is essentially what I'm currently doing although arse about face in that I'm building the Clio first without a daily along side it!

Use some of the cash to stick a 200bhp Sandy Brown 16v engine in that Rallye :wink: Several years back I had a 171bhp 16v in my S2 Rallye (QEP/own build not SB), went like stink. So with ~200bhp one would be simply epic! Would allow you to compromise the daily sports car more towards the useable side of a compromise. This is essentially what I'm currently doing although arse about face in that I'm building the Clio first without a daily along side it!

Thank one is 16v and cammed. I've owned waaaaaaaaaa too many throttle bodied rallyes and Gtis Over the years. Had one at 168 bhp and that was silly! Can't imagine one North of 200.
I'm throwing some cash at my ff 200 to keep that as fun as possible :smile:

It would have to be a TVR T350 or Sagaris if you can stretch your budget. They are absolutely amazing imo

The whole idea of a "performance car" with four seats and to be used as a daily doesn't really make sense to me.

I think a bit more time deciding exactly what you want from the car would help lots (unless of course you already have and just not added much of your thinking to this post). As a long term BMW fan, if you're at all thinking about one of the high end German barges, I certainly wouldn't be interested in any of the new ones. Tried an E92, STUNNING DCT but no where near as engaging and raw. Tried an M4... Erm, yeah. I'm still in the E46 CS. C63s are mental and tail-happy fun but they're just too lairy to me. Audi... You're selling the only one I'd be interested in... They may be quicker but they've lost their soul in my opinion. But like I say, it depends what you're after.

If it was me, I'd buy a daily slag that you don't care too much about and is cheap to run and then get something properly focused to enjoy when the time comes. My money would definitely go on the new Exige S but coming from German comfort that might be a step (leap?) too far for you...

Unless you're lucky enough to have a daily commute that doesn't involve sitting in a long line of traffic, I'd say it would be a bit of a waste buying something special for that purpose. It also makes the occasions where you get the fast one out MUCH more special.

A HUGE vote for the C63 here ( 6.3 model ), my boss has one, let me tell you when he starts up and roars off shaking all the buildings around him with barely touching the rev happy throttle, I forget that I love my clio for about 5 minutes after I have forgetten the AMG roar lol.

Ooh how about a Jaguar F-type? saw one this morning and boy does it look mean from the back