My Ultra Red 197 - Update - Trackday Photos

Time for an update.

So, having recently gone off the rails and decided I was selling up I've had some slightly disappointing test drives and realised perhaps the grass isn't greener on the other (more expensive & powerful) side!

I treated her to a little something earlier, should be with me by the end of the week and will make the track days more fun, hopefully making me lover her more!

Then, to pay me back for the treat she broke down! First time ever! Fixed with one of these and a £69 dent in the wallet:

So there are a few bits that need tidying up which I'll do over the next few weeks and bring everything back to mint:
  • New brembo seals - ordered
  • Repaint the brakes
  • Have a ding in the rear quarter fixed
  • New track rod ends & alignment
  • Touch up the stone chips on front bumper & bonnet
  • Touch up a small kerb mark on one alloy
  • Polish & wax
  • New headunit with bluetooth streaming & dash display

So the clio is now sitting on these, standard cup alloys with R888s:
umy4uruz.jpg

Bought them for trackdays but put them on yesterday to see what the R888 fuss is about, what can I say other than the grip is astonishing! Ride isn't really any harsher than sportcontacts with the XL sidewall, they do make quite a noise though just to remind you there's some sticky rubber there!

Can't wait to get on a trackday with them

Also ordered the following from Karl:
Track rod ends for both sides
Inner track rods for both sides
Pair of rear discs

Only the passenger side track rod end needed replacing, all the other stuff is preventative maintenance

Last edited:
I think all trackday tyres make the same "fudged bearing" sorta noise.

Good to see you treating her well.

Also thinking about a front brake upgrade, the DS2500 on standard discs aren't quite up to the R888s. I had trouble with pad deposits when using the standard tyres but now I have more grip and will work them even harder I think a further upgrade is needed.

But, the question is do I go for uprated pads or to 330mm discs? Thinking about maybe getting some Carbon Lorraine RC6 or something like that for the trackdays and swap them over every time.

Few more bits on the way:
Carbon Lorraine RC6 pads, will probably use these on track and DS2500 on road
ktecp052.jpg

KTEC brake lines, went for these instead of going direct to HEL as apparently the HEL version is a bit too long on the rear
ktecp067.jpg

1 litre of this, didn't go for the 660 as it hardly seemed any better for double the money:
1126.jpg

And have got some new paint and decals on the way for the calipers as they're looking a bit tired. Went for 2k lacquer this time so hopefully wheel cleaner and brake fluid won't ruin the paint!

So next weekend hopefully I can strip down the calipers, paint, new seals, new bleed nipples, new brake lines, new track rods and ends.

Should make everything feel fresh again and ready for the track, just booked the renaultsport bedford evening session and will do brands after the track rods are replaced

So this weekend was spent on the brakes. Stripped them down to the bare parts, replaced the seals and bleed nipples with new parts, repainted and this time lacquered with 2k lacquer so hopefully will last better.

New braided lines and carbon lorraine pads are on, the power is absolutely phenomenal!! Really, I've never experienced deceleration like this. I have no idea why you'd need the 330mm discs, they can't be any better than these pads on standard discs. However, I'm yet to try them with the R888s.

Only downside, I think there's still a bit of air in the lines but I've run out of motul so will get another bottle on order.

Everyone who doesn't have the 330mm say you can't get better

Trust me you can.....

I'm gonna put some CLRC6s in when my ferodos are cooked

But really, when you can lock the tyres at any speed how can you really stop any quicker than that? The tyres are the limit at that point, no matter how big your discs are.

But I really rate these RC6 pads, I had DS2500 before and it's night and day difference. The step up from DS2500 to these is a much bigger step up than standard pads to DS2500 and the bite is incredible even from cold (they don't need any warming up)

Love this. Do you have any rear photos of your 197. I'm hovering above the add to cart for the arakpovic! Mine will be going on a 197 also

Cheers Gaz, not sure I do really. If I remember I'll get one tomorrow but it's not clean at the moment! The akrapovic is great but you will need some clamp on tips for the 197 as it's designed to fit the 200 diffuser. I bought some on here which were custom made for another member, I think you'd have to get some custom made too

Yeah I know the crack like, mate I don't care if its dirty, shows its used!! How did it look with the standard diffuser? Ok short term? I really don't like the 200 diffuser, but its probably the way I'd have to go, that or get some tips.... But I'm not a fan of them being visible either. Doh!

As for the brakes maybe it's down to preference.

I certainly seen a difference in braking power at how fast

Yeah I know the crack like, mate I don't care if its dirty, shows its used!! How did it look with the standard diffuser? Ok short term? I really don't like the 200 diffuser, but its probably the way I'd have to go, that or get some tips.... But I'm not a fan of them being visible either. Doh!

To be honest, it's really not a good look with the standard diffuser, they outlets are actually a bit smaller than the standard exhaust tips so they look really lost in the diffuser. But, it works and it won't damage the diffuser so it'll be OK until you sort something out. I just much prefer the 197 diffuser so went with tips instead of the 200 diffuser :smile:

Just had a little read through, some nice little upgrades recently.

Cheers mate!

As for the brakes maybe it's down to preference.

I certainly seen a difference in braking power at how fast

I think I need to get to how fast at some point, am on the official renaultsport trackday in a few weeks time, will probably be the first outing with the new brakes so will be interested to see how they do!

Serious bargain!!! I paid about £175 a few weeks ago and that was the cheapest around

I did a ridiculous amount of research before buying these pads, I investigated pretty much every option from the big brands (Performance friction, pagid, ferrodo, EBC, mintex etc.) as well as some smaller but still known brands such as carbon lorraine.

I really bought them with the intention of using them purely on track and using my DS2500 on the road, reason being that I can't stand squealing brakes, especially driving around town in the summer with the windows down. I was torn between these and options from performance friction and pagid, the performance friction apparently lose a lot of performance when they get to ~50% worn and the pagids are ~£350. Reviews are great for all these pads but I actually found a few people driving porsche's etc. who use the pagids on road and carbon lorraine's on track, that sealed the deal for me. Only downsides the mentioned to the CL's is a lack of feel and modulation compared to the pagids, I can believe this having used them but once you get used to them feel and modulation isn't bad.... you just don't need anywhere near as much pressure on the pedal.

So, with a track day in a few weeks I thought I'd put them in and get used to them. They've started to squeal a bit but it's not too bad, however the plus side is that I've never ever felt such powerful brakes, I don't even remember the brakes being this powerful in the formula ford I drove and that was on slicks. They're perfect on road, one of the advantages with sintered compounds like this is that they don't need any heat in them to work, they're massively better than the DS2500 and standard pads from cold. They will wear discs quickly, I've even heard people claim they get through 3 sets of discs to 1 set of pads. But, with a set of discs costing ~£90 I'm happy for them to be the consumable items compared to pads at ~£170! Perfect road pads so far except for the slight squeal and no doubt they will be phenomenal on track with the R888s