200: My test drive thoughts, VXR & clio 200

aterro

Paid Member
Well, i'm not a new member, and have been lurking on here for a while!:tongueout:roud:

After selling my clio 182 in racing blue the other week, i needed to buy a car which was still reasonably fun, but still does the job on a commute.

After numerous hours, days, months of searching / deciding what car i wanted, i whittled it down to;
  • Audi S3 8p
  • Astra or Corsa VXR
  • A3 tdi Sline, 170 ( i didnt end up test driving one)
  • Scirocco tdi
  • and of course the 200.

I know the above are completely different to each other and not comparable's at all, but to me, the are a small reasonably fun car.

So i took a trip to the dealers;

The S3, brilliant car! A well rounded car, which did everything i wanted. Issue, i already previously had one very similar and i felt like i needed a change of scenery. Nice dealership, and great staff.

Astra Vxr, i despise the gearbox setup, something about how it went into gear annoyed me. Engine seemed fun, and power was pretty instant. The noise was, of course lovely.
I found it slightly longer to stick it into gear than the 200, and from second to third, it wasn't a great transition at all. (in my opinion, of course)
Another issue, which annoyed me was the windscreen gradient. It may have been my seating position, but i found that it was way too steep when driving. I found myself looking out of the top of the windscreen and not sitting directly in the middle of the screen. ( I'm 5 foot 11).

Corsa VXR, again gearbox was the same as the astra. Engine seemed pokey, but lacked the grunt the astra had.
Rear windows did not let enough light into the rear(when sitting in the back) when comparing it to the clio 200/197.
There was also rattles in the cabin area. (61 plate, 9,000k on the clocks)

Vauxhall staff, this may of just been the two dealerships i went into, but wasnt as helpful as Audi, or Renault. & Service is a big plus for me.
The Vauxhall staff were "ok" but didnt go the extra mile unlike Renault or Audi.

The scirocco Tdi 140 DSG, was a lovely car. Much more refined than the above, engine produced a good amount of "pull" and was a smooth cruiser. Definitely not comparable to the above.
If i cared about fuels, the scirocco would be a good waypoint for fun and mpg. ( in my opinion)

The 200, well, where do i start? Ive read the stories about it being to slow and not getting great mpg considering it only being a 2.0L.

I loved it, i thought the power was more than efficient, and on a motorway, it felt fine at 70mph. The gearbox was great, the feel of the gearbox was precise and easy and didn't feel too long to actually put it into gear. & the handling was great, especially when i had drove a scirocco previously that day haha

and even on the test drive, i left the dealership with a range of 32 miles, the test drive lasted 20 miles, and i arrived back with a range of 42:wink: and for a test drive, i was surprised.
Im pretty sure i could get average 35 mpg out of it.

Now, this isn't a review, these are my thoughts, which i thought id share. But the moral of the story, go test drive them all. The little changes of a car, makes a big difference to your preference and your preferred driving style.

& yes, ill be buying a clio 200. The search begins.....

You should try a new fez ST, meg 250 and a focus RS. RS for me anyday, epic beasts.

good info there!

i have a 197, and i'm on an eco mission 90% of the time. my mpg is hovering around 26 mark and has been for a while. if i do a long motorway journey i might knock it upto 29-30 but it start ticking down again when im driving to and from work in the week.

when i picked the car up i reset the computer before i set off on a 5 hour motorway journey, the mpg reading climbed to around 34-35. if you are doing purely motorway miles then you could expect this, however i think you would struggle to keep it there, once your doing everyday driving (everyday driving for me is shifting 1st,2nd,4th, 6th, and keeping revs below 2500, like i said... eco mission 90% of the time)

i dont know how comparable the 197 is to the 200 petrol consumption wise but it can't be far off......

their thirsty beasts..... but i wouldn't swap it for anything :wink:

Like S3's but i love Audi

Vauxhall VXR's i think sound great, nice little pops and bangs but i'd personally never own one. Am i correct in thinking the gear box used in the VXR is the same they use in the 1.5 diesel?

i never really understand the comments about lack of power and low down torque with the 197/200, my previous car was a 300bhp+ classic impreza and i have never thought my 197 was slow, the chassis is so good that it can no doubt handle more power but for me its the perfect blend of power and grip. as for low down torque, who cares because when you are attacking your fave B road, the revs are always above 5k anyway, if they arent then you arent driving it properly

i never really understand the comments about lack of power and low down torque with the 197/200, my previous car was a 300bhp+ classic impreza and i have never thought my 197 was slow, the chassis is so good that it can no doubt handle more power but for me its the perfect blend of power and grip. as for low down torque, who cares because when you are attacking your fave B road, the revs are always above 5k anyway, if they arent then you arent driving it properly
Do agree with this somes it up well i have been on of with selling the 200 but its so hard to make my mined up:001_unsure:If i did though it would not be for a Audi,VXR,scirocco.

You should try a new fez ST, meg 250 and a focus RS. RS for me anyday, epic beasts.

they aren't in the same categories for me, as there in a different price bracket, unfortunately haha

No-one bought a clio 200 for mpg, yea i agree with that, but id rather have 30 mpg than 15mpg:wink:

Well, i'm not a new member, and have been lurking on here for a while!:tongueout:roud:

After selling my clio 182 in racing blue the other week, i needed to buy a car which was still reasonably fun, but still does the job on a commute.

After numerous hours, days, months of searching / deciding what car i wanted, i whittled it down to;
  • Audi S3 8p
  • Astra or Corsa VXR
  • A3 tdi Sline, 170 ( i didnt end up test driving one)
  • Scirocco tdi
  • and of course the 200.

I know the above are completely different to each other and not comparable's at all, but to me, the are a small reasonably fun car.

So i took a trip to the dealers;

The S3, brilliant car! A well rounded car, which did everything i wanted. Issue, i already previously had one very similar and i felt like i needed a change of scenery. Nice dealership, and great staff.

Astra Vxr, i despise the gearbox setup, something about how it went into gear annoyed me. Engine seemed fun, and power was pretty instant. The noise was, of course lovely.
I found it slightly longer to stick it into gear than the 200, and from second to third, it wasn't a great transition at all. (in my opinion, of course)
Another issue, which annoyed me was the windscreen gradient. It may have been my seating position, but i found that it was way too steep when driving. I found myself looking out of the top of the windscreen and not sitting directly in the middle of the screen. ( I'm 5 foot 11).

Corsa VXR, again gearbox was the same as the astra. Engine seemed pokey, but lacked the grunt the astra had.
Rear windows did not let enough light into the rear(when sitting in the back) when comparing it to the clio 200/197.
There was also rattles in the cabin area. (61 plate, 9,000k on the clocks)

Vauxhall staff, this may of just been the two dealerships i went into, but wasnt as helpful as Audi, or Renault. & Service is a big plus for me.
The Vauxhall staff were "ok" but didnt go the extra mile unlike Renault or Audi.

The scirocco Tdi 140 DSG, was a lovely car. Much more refined than the above, engine produced a good amount of "pull" and was a smooth cruiser. Definitely not comparable to the above.
If i cared about fuels, the scirocco would be a good waypoint for fun and mpg. ( in my opinion)

The 200, well, where do i start? Ive read the stories about it being to slow and not getting great mpg considering it only being a 2.0L.

I loved it, i thought the power was more than efficient, and on a motorway, it felt fine at 70mph. The gearbox was great, the feel of the gearbox was precise and easy and didn't feel too long to actually put it into gear. & the handling was great, especially when i had drove a scirocco previously that day haha

and even on the test drive, i left the dealership with a range of 32 miles, the test drive lasted 20 miles, and i arrived back with a range of 42:wink: and for a test drive, i was surprised.
Im pretty sure i could get average 35 mpg out of it.

Now, this isn't a review, these are my thoughts, which i thought id share. But the moral of the story, go test drive them all. The little changes of a car, makes a big difference to your preference and your preferred driving style.

& yes, ill be buying a clio 200. The search begins.....

You can have mine for good value :wink:

Had my 197 6 weeks now and don't regret a thing so I don't think you would be disappointed at all with the 200. Puts a smile on my face every time I get in the thing.
The Vauxhall I went too where actually very helpful, the guy was about my age and very honest which I think helped. Drove the Astra + Corsa and couldn't own a Corsa after driving the Astra, incredible piece of kit.

Make sure you get a 200 with Recaros, OOOOFFFTT.

I have a 200 and a Rocco diesel the Rocco mapped is very quick and great on fuel (in fact I think quicker than the Clio but we will see at pod:thumbsup: )but for me one of the best drivers cars going.

my 10p's worth :thumbup:

Look for the extra cash buy the Meg were are you in the world you can have a blast in mine I've had all 172#197#200#250 its down to you

Similar Thread Suggestions