More power?

nicfred

Gold Member
I am looking for some more power?
What you reckon is best cheapish mod? k tec Renflash, k tec induction, Sprintbooster (are they worth it?) didnt want to get into engine mods just yet?
I did a meeting at Mallory at the week end (French Trophy) to say my car was slow was a understatement, the 172/182 cars were just sooooo fast, i was trying to keep my car standard for the Michelin Clio series but i havent done a round yet as they only have 4 cars.
So went with the French trophy, but as said my car is just too slow, they would pull away out of the corners and then they were gone, i was better on the brakes and the corners but it was not enough :driveby:
So was thinking of maybe some easy mods for now, which ones do you reckon?

Im sure most will agree with me on this. There's not much cheap option for power. But a nice induction kit and a map should give u a few more ponies. Or get some nice rubber instead, might save you seconds on corners.

Just had the ktr induction kit, a akra de cat and a map done yesterday, managed to pull an extra 13HP. Out of the engine. But mind you it was started with 195hp so it's quite a big jump.

You probably better off shaving weight and then looking at suspension and tires:thumbup:

Got some R888's on and also brought the Michelin Clio series kit for the car so it already has adjustable top mounts and Bilstein suspension fitted etc etc , so already done that, i am already looking at striping more weight as well.

Just spoke to K tec, they say the best gain would be the Renflash remap ( £354 ) and then a induction kit (£214.80)
Anyone had a renflash from them?

Are you sure your car is running 100%? A standard 1*2 shouldn't be causing you too much grief on track. They're pretty evenly matched in a straight line and you should have the edge in the bends.

Either they weren't standard, were better drivers or something isn't quite right with your motor (IMO)

Are you sure your car is running 100%? A standard 1*2 shouldn't be causing you too much grief on track. They're pretty evenly matched in a straight line and you should have the edge in the bends.

Either they weren't standard, were better drivers or something isn't quite right with your motor (IMO)

Their cars were not standard, that was the problem, ha ha, i couldn't pedal the 197 any faster to try and keep up.

On my track evening at Donington my 200 (ktec decat, panel filter and remap) it was pretty much even Stevens on the strait with a friends 182 (filter, decat, and Miltek ). They are a lighter car to start with before you start striping them to save weight. Different ball game when it came to the braking zones though. Corners there wasn't much in it. I would say we are very similar drivers in terms of previous track experience/ability. Those 182's make a great track weapon.

Last edited:
I have to say on the 2 renaultsport track days I've done I have never been overtaken by another clio of any kind, only meganes. The 172/182 seem to be fairly similar on the straights and 197s (at least with my mods) are a fair bit better on the brakes and corners. I think if you want to make a big difference then you should start looking to reduce weight first, I think there's a lot of excess weight in the 197!

Some sticky tyres did wonders on mine, plus sprint booster, 64mm throttle body and induction kit. Might not be faster but definitely feels it :thumbup:

What is the michellin clio series kit ?

It is the kit that Monster sport in Milton Keynes sell to convet your car to the correct spec to compete in the Michelin Clio cup race series, it includes adjustable top mounts, Bilstein suspension, sabelt seat and steering wheel, ferodo pads,fire extinguisher,safety device roll cage etc etc etc, basically all you need to convert your road car to go racing.
i have also got a Scorpion de cat non resonated system fitted , the car handles and brakes real good but just has no power compared to the 172/182 cars which weigh in at around 960kg inc driver and 220 +bhp!
I know everyone blames the car first, not the driver, but I know when I leave a corner and they just drive away its not me,their cars are so light and have so much more power it is so demoralising

Last edited:
Were they all turbo charged then at 220bhp+ ?

Nope, they all have on the side of their cars powered by 519 automtoive, i have looked on their site and they are showing dyno graphs in their engine tuning section of a 172 cup with 240 bhp :001_tt1::woody::woody:
Thats just not fair :':smile:':smile:'(

Thats funny cos Danny usually quotes they wont get anywhere near that power without FI........

one of the cars is burp speeds car and has had a lot of work including throttle bodies and is a pure race car so will be quite powerful. although on burp speeds site its spec says

• [*=center]Chassis: Clio 172 Phase1, OMP Roll Cage
    [*=center]Engine: 519 Automotive Renault F4R
    [*=center]Induction: AT Power Direct To Head Port Throttles
    [*=center]Exhaust: Custom Burpspeed
    [*=center]Management: Engine Control EC1R
    [*=center]Gearbox: Agency Transmissions JC5 129
    [*=center]Differential: Quaife ATB
    [*=center]Brakes: Brembo Discs, EBC pads
    [*=center]Suspension: AST Sportline Dampers
    [*=center]Tyres: Dunlop Direzza DZ03G
    [*=center]Weight: 980kgs (with fuel and driver)
    [*=center]Power: 210bhp+