Need more power...

I am getting the itch for more power already...eeek....I have had my clio 200 for 8 months now and I love it to bits but I am craving something with more brute force to be honest.

Considering the Meg 250 with the idea of mapping it to around the 300bhp mark, first things first for anyone that went from a 197/200 to the meg, did you regret it? Pros and cons?

Secondly, is the likes of a map pushing the car to ~300bhp going to put the internals/gearbox at risk, or is it capable of that figure?

Thanks

My mate has a 250 Cup with an RS Tuning remap its sitting at 308 bhp & 350 ftld

but...

He still says its not as much fun as my 197 Cup was as the cars just so capable your always keeping an eye on the speedo.

You considered the Megane engine conversion route ?

There's quite a few on Meganesport now which have been mapped, all running 300bhp plus with similar torque to the post mentioned above. As far as I know they're safe at this level, and also go like brown stuff off a shiny shovel :smile::smile::smile:

Mines running 315bhp :smile:

Cheaper running costs, better performance IMO. Coming from the 200 Cup i replaced the Meg 250 has better MPG, cheaper Insurance, same roadtax, same servicing. The only increase in cost so far has been tyres, the Mitchelin Pilot Sport 2's it comes with are the best part of £180 fitted each.

I wouldnt say it "feels" all that quick if im honest as the cabin is so well made you feel insulated from your surroundings. What you deffinately will notice however is the torque!

Plenty of threads on here about this. I am glad to get back in the 200 as no the meg isn't as fun but its the 1% of the time but the meg is a winner day to day and is very chuckable on track especially if you get one with the cup chassis which has a mechanical LSD.

My standard 265 ran 279.9 on the recent rolling road day.

But just to say from a balanced point of view I get worse mpg and if you do track days you will eat tyres more than a Clio. They come into their own when in 4th at 90-100+ when the pull like poop of a shovel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have requested a test drive for tomorrow morning, will see if I even like it before I start thinking any further down the line. I am a nightmare lol, forever changing cars!

Thanks for the input all :smile: Will let you know what I make of them when I get a run in one, hopefully tomorrow.

I'm sort of interested in getting one after the clio, but are they really that much more civilised than the clio? I really like how in the clio you can be doing 50mph through some B roads and feels like you are flat out, and worried that the megane would risk my lisence...

Would test drive one at my local Renault dealer, but apparently i'm not old enough (Even though I turn up in a brand new 200).....

What are the colour options for the meg 250? All i seem to see on google images is black, yellow or white....

Anyone got the official colour list? Going to test drive a black one tomorrow morning.

What are the colour options for the meg 250? All i seem to see on google images is black, yellow or white....

Anyone got the official colour list? Going to test drive a black one tomorrow morning.

Capsicum Red, Diamond Black, Extreme Blue, Glacier White, Mercury Silver, Oyster Grey, Pearl Black & Sport Yellow

Thanks Metalpen,

Will see how the test drive goes, if I like it I will be looking to spec one for the dealer to find for me :smile: