Mixed Trip To Tesco...

Willis

The Gatekeeper
Platinum Member
Evening!!!

Well, my Tesco run tonight was a mixed bag.

Going through Dunham (little village, one pub, ten houses) and I'm doing about 20MPH about to turn left when BANG!, massive noise out of nowhere. So, of course I sh!t myself and slammed the brakes on. Looked in the drivers door mirror to see what it was. There's no mirror. Strange...

So, I look in the rearview and there's an E92 Coupe limping behind me in the opposite direction. Great. I flick my hazzards on and all of a sudden the E92 slams on and starts to reverse, I'm now preparing myself for some goon to jump out giving it ''ARRRD''. But, it's a 28-30 year old STUNNER. Who's very shook up, so obvisouly I calm her down and check that there's no other damage to Nicole (which there isn't, just the wing mirror glass has shattered, but it's not fell out, electrics still work) and I check her car for damage. She's lost the mirror glass too.

Now, once I've calmed her down, she turns ''street''. Starts throwing around that I'm on the wrong side of the road blah blah blah, I was doing 200 Leptons blah blah blah. Until I point out that she'd just passed five parked cars and was half on my side, so it's obviously just an accident and no big deal. She starts prattling on about insurance and all that, so, again I calm her down and tell her that in her wildest dreams they'll call it 50/50 and we'll both lose our NCB...

Even though I KNOW 100% it wasn't my fault, because I'm a gentleman and I value my NCB, I offer to pay for the new glass for her mirror and offer to fit it for her too. This sorts her head out, she takes my number and we get chatting... Turns out she lives literally on the next road to me anyway. I get to Tesco and rush round like an idiot, worrying about what if she rings her insurance afterall and how much is BMW glass now I've offered to just sort it out, worrying so much that I nearly forget to pick up a curry.

I get home, go online, get the price of some mirror glass for an E92 Coupe. £17.99.

Not so bad afterall.

:smiley:

Last edited:
That's the one!!! :smiley:

My renewal is due next month so no way am I letting somebody put a claim in for a bloody wing mirror when it was their own fault anyway. How she missed the car in front of me but managed to clip me I don't know. Ah well, sh!t happens. I think, talking to her, she knew it was her fault but she was really shook up bless her and went on the offensive.

If she rings me tomorrow then I'll order the glass when I order mine (£14.99), but if she gets funny or her insurance ring me then I'll pop round with a bottle of wine and seduce her Sean Connery style. Hopefully, common sense will prevail and she won't ring me at all...

So how did u end up paying for her mirror when u no its her fault and pay for yours??

So how did u end up paying for her mirror when u no its her fault and pay for yours??

Because I'm not prepared to let her phone her insurance company, them call it 50/50 because there's no witnesses and less than £100 worth of damage and then lose my NCB. Replacing two bits of glass is going to cost me less than a tenth of what my insurance would jump if I lost my NCB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping that she wakes up tomorrow, has a good think about it and doesn't phone me or her insurers. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Money doesn't always bring sense & manners unfortunately. To be honest she did seem very startled by it all and I think once she realises that it's only a 2" bit of glass and that she's at fault then common sense should prevail.

Look at it this way. She's monied and a she. I'm a 25 year old lad with a hot hatch... Which one of that two do insurers love to dry-bum?

she's hot, try to keep up

Hahaha yeah but there's better ways of exchanging numbers!!!

Last edited:
Lol I reckon you see the fittie in the other lane and steered into her to get her number. A well known and executed technique my good man :wink:

Hahahahaha you talking from experience Ben!?! :smiley:

No phonecall so far, but it is early and I know she's moving house this weekend. Fingers crossed...

dont care what they look like i wouldnt be paying for it....

if she gets funny about it - you offering to pay looks like an admission of guilt/your fault

i had it once with a focus - she pulled out from behind parked cars on to my side of the road in a small village was only doing about 20mph becuase of the parked cars - i thought wow she is close and BANG mirror glass broken....
she stopped as did i...her whole mirror assembly was smashed and in the road - i told her knock for knock - she just looked at the damage to hers - i said goodbye and drove off!!

certainly wont pay for something that is someones elses incompetance :001_rolleyes:

Oh it's not because she's hot, it's just that I REALLY do no want to lose my NCB. And she seemed to be lacking in common sense and had already written my reg' down. Had I not noticed her doing that then I'd have done the same thing as you and pootled on my way...

Her husband (D'oh! Not single, but then, neither am I anyway hahaha!!!) rang this morning and had obviously been told how I swerved at her like a maniac whilst she was stationary. I politely put him straight and he was sound after that. Both went away and priced our glass up, £35 for me, £95 for him (main dealers are robbing b@st@rds)... He asked if I wanted to go halves on the parts and call it £65 each. To be honest, I think that's being damn cheeky but in the interest of him being local and it being the season of goodwill I agreed.

£65 now is better than an extra £500-£1000 on each of our insurance.

I'm a firm believer in Karma, it'll come back and bite her eventually. :smile:

Last edited:
I can understand your logic, sometimes things this petty can be blown completely out of proportion and before you know it you have £500 on top of your usual insurance. Better sometimes to bite the bullet, pay £70 and have the whole situation behind you.

That's exaclty it mate. They just really seem to be lacking in common sense and don't seem to be able to get it into their heads that they WILL lose their NCB when it DOES go 50/50 if they try and push a claim. The husband also mentioned that the drivers window is scratched where her mirror glass flew out and hit it... Strange, mine didn't come out of the casing, shows the speed differential there straight away. He was bleating about a new window and a new piece of rubber trim which is also scuffed so I told him he's taking the piss and said I'll polish the scratches out for him.

Now, when he comes round later, if the glass doesn't look like it can be polished out, then I'm going to politely explain to him that I've already paid for half of his mirror glass which is more than most people would've done so he can enter his own ring if he thinks he's getting a new window as well. I really can't believe how daft some people are.

I've phoned Allianz (my insurer) and left a message with their Legal Advice Team, just waiting for a call back now. :smile:

Oh dear and thus it begins, give someone an inch out of good will and they try to take a mile off you. Try to remember mate that you are not to blame here anyway. Besides i didnt realise she had a husband, all bets are off!

Last year i was driving a van in thick snow when the old chap in front in his focus hit the brakes and slid into a small ditch, stopping him instantly. I was approx. 3 car lengths behind at 10mph and hit the brakes, the abs kicked in but all it seemed to do was more harm than good as the van lost nearly no speed on the icy conditions, i literally parked on his bumper, no damage whatsoever!

When he got out he was holding his neck, i told him to drop that act right away. He inspected his car and assured me i'd left a scratch on his bumper, one which only he could see!? I offered to pay £100 to have his bumper resprayed ( even though it was already in perfect condition ) more than reasonable you'll agree. He accepted and we exhanged numbers. That evening he phoned me and said once he'd got a torch on it he now noticed a dent in the boot i'd made and requested £300 pay off. I said i'll get a bodyshop to fix it and i'll pay the bill but he requested to keep the money and live with the dent! I told him to jog on and never heard back from him. People just take the piss out of you when your being reasonable.

They get everywhere w@nkers don't they!?! :smiley:

That's the thing, I'm a nice lad, I respect the fact that they've had to pay more than me and I've met them halfway. Which, I think is very reasonable. Now, rubber trim can be glossed up in a matter of seconds, so I'm not worried about that one bit, I think it was probably already scuffed as does happen to them but I can't be arsed arguing, so I'll stick some Sonus on there to shut him up... But the window!?! No, no, no, too far.

He even tried the ''We use that road all the time and we've never had anything happen before, so it must be your fault...''. To which I replied ''You live on the new bit of the estate that's been there for three years, I've lived in the village all my life, I use the road at least thrice a day and I've never had anything happen, so...''. Funnily enough, he changed the subject after that.

I mean there's a few little pit marks on my window too, but it's hardly going to ruin the car, certainly no more than a stone chip would. I've flashed over it with some window cleaner and I reckon with a blob of glass polish they'll be hidden anyway. No wonder everyones insurance is sky high when you have petty people like this about the place.

The only thing you can do is try him at his own game, request a new window, mirror with motor and trim etc. for your car. I'm sure he'll soon back down and accept your generous offer whilst its still on the table. Hopefully now your dealing with a chap there should be a little more common sense over NCB etc.

That's my plan of action. If he pushes for a new window then I'll counter it. :smile: