Main dealer headache - Clutch

Afternoon,

Had a new clutch fitted by main dealer in June last year, within a week it was slipping when the car was warm so took it back and was told "no it isn't".

Took it in again 2 months later when it was slipping, told again "no it isnt".

Took again a third time and stressed that unless they warm the car up first it wont slip, left it with them and was told again 3 hours later, "no it isnt".

Its slipping badly again and i'm totally lost as what to do next. I get why they keep telling me its not slipping, its because their parts and labour come with a years warranty which i'm still well within and they will lose a ****load having to get the clutch out and replace it.

Any ideas? One thought was it could be a master cylinder issue as that wasn't replaced?

Cheers, Chris

Totally agree with Chris, arrange a time when a tech can come out with you, when the car has been warmed up. It does sound like they're trying to avoid the issue, but be persistent and keep on at them until they, at the very least, do the test drive with you.

Are there any other Renault dealers in your area you can take it to for a second opinion? Or even have an independent mechanic give you a report which you can then shove under their noses?

If it's under warranty it's under warranty, end of. Have you spoken to the dealership manager? I'd even threaten to go above his/her head and get Renault UK involved and then trading standards if they continue to deny there is an issue after a test drive with one of their mechanics.

Cheers, definitely seems like the best way forward. Only issue is it means using a days holiday!

The dealer have gone through 3 service managers in the last 12 months and a near as damn it complete re-shuffle by the looks of it, so I have just been passed pillar to post and i'm 100% certain they are sick of me bringing it in now. Doubt I am being taken seriously any more!

Last edited:
Just keep on at them though - they probably are sick of you and want you to give up trying, but don't! It's a shame how crap some dealers are...but be persistent with them and hopefully you can get it sorted.

Took service manager out for a test drive, unfortunately stuck in nose to tail traffic so couldn't demonstrate. Luckily from the half an hour I spent in a silent car with him he seems like an absolute car nut and a decent bloke which has given me some hope. Left the car with them for a day to see if they can replicate what i'm experiencing.

Clutch and Gearbox came out under warranty. New clutch kit in under warranty. Apparently a seal had failed at the back of the engine causing oil when warm and thin to run on to the flywhweel.

All in all cost me £40 quid (seal + flywheel bolts) and hopefully solved the problem.

Pretty sure main dealer now hate my guts but its sorted.

I know not all main dealers are bad, however you read about so many of them that fob people off. You had a legitimate claim and it proves it with the fact that they did the work once they'd investigated it.

I've had both good and bad experiences with dealers, but unfortunately it's the bad ones that have put me off using them again.