Lower Ball Joints replaced, still knocking :(

Most of the threads on here are for the lower ball joints which seem to be made of cheese.

Over the last 6 months both sides have both sides have begun to knock then made the awful squeeking noise on turning. I have now replaced both sides (carrier and ball joints) and cured the main knocking and all of the squeeks.

However, it seems that I've still got a knock on the drivers side, simular noise to the lower ball joint. My mechanical knowledge is very poor hense this thread, could it be the upper ball joint? if that's a thing? or its there another common component that goes?

Most of the threads on here are for the lower ball joints which seem to be made of cheese.

Over the last 6 months both sides have both sides have begun to knock then made the awful squeeking noise on turning. I have now replaced both sides (carrier and ball joints) and cured the main knocking and all of the squeeks.

However, it seems that I've still got a knock on the drivers side, simular noise to the lower ball joint. My mechanical knowledge is very poor hense this thread, could it be the upper ball joint? if that's a thing? or its there another common component that goes?

Hi mate,

What year is your 197/200?

How many miles has it done?

Ideal thanks guys

Once I've got the wipers and scuttle off, will I be able to detect play with my hands? Or do I need to check from underneath?

Seems to be quite common.. Most people attack the ball joints first though.. Take your scuttle panel off should be able to see wear if it is your top mount

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, just replaced both of mine while I have it off the road over winter.

Top mount/Bearing was definitely the cause of my knocking. (I run KW V1's also)
[MENTION=511]jam1991[/MENTION] good to hear its sorted,get them tested out on the next run out:wink:
[MENTION=4849]Jcs[/MENTION] would be worth replacing both the top mounts for around £100.

Damn it didn't mean to post without text

Forgot that when I bought car found It had cut outs In scuttle and also in top of top mount covers. So they look **** like this.

Drivers side is full of gunk so guessing something is knackered. Will get them replaced