Knocking noise

His all,

I am now a proud owner of a red 07 197 since trading in my 133 for it a week ago. Since I picked the car up there has been quite a prominent knocking noise coming from the front near side wheel/front near side suspension. When I drive per uneven surfaces or over potholes or speed bumps. Something feels as though it's loose. It's similar, if not exactly the same sensation as when I had a lower arm on my Twingo go. But it's louder on the clio. Does anyone have any idea where the noise may be coming for as it passed an MOT last week and has just been serviced but is driving me crazy to be honest. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First :welcome:to the forum and secondly some one will be sure to help you with that one.Si were are you he will know

Sounds like you have same problem as me, after searching on this forum for quite a while I think I have narrowed it down to suspension top mount! Just need to find time to get and fit them now to try it! When I get round to it I will repost and let u know(hopefully next week)

His all,

I am now a proud owner of a red 07 197 since trading in my 133 for it a week ago. Since I picked the car up there has been quite a prominent knocking noise coming from the front near side wheel/front near side suspension. When I drive per uneven surfaces or over potholes or speed bumps. Something feels as though it's loose. It's similar, if not exactly the same sensation as when I had a lower arm on my Twingo go. But it's louder on the clio. Does anyone have any idea where the noise may be coming for as it passed an MOT last week and has just been serviced but is driving me crazy to be honest. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if its that bad then the mot tester cannot of been that good...

have you made sure the wheel nuts are tight?

front suspension/steering has 5 ball joints and 2 tie links - so needs checking by someone who knows what they are doing!

Yeah I know I don't know how it has been missed and am understandably pissed off as I picked it up wednesday and was told it had been given a 156 pint check or whatever sales jargon he used. Il take it back and complain on Monday. Jacking the car up and attempting to move the wheel in the 6 and 12 position would indicate ball joint failure if movement was present right?

Normally 6-12 for ball joints and 3-9 for track rod ends

Sometimes a lever bar under the wheel when jacked shows play too

Yeah I know I don't know how it has been missed and am understandably pissed off as I picked it up wednesday and was told it had been given a 156 pint check or whatever sales jargon he used. Il take it back and complain on Monday. Jacking the car up and attempting to move the wheel in the 6 and 12 position would indicate ball joint failure if movement was present right?

Normally 6-12 for ball joints and 3-9 for track rod ends

Sometimes a lever bar under the wheel when jacked shows play too

doesnt always show up when jacked up....sometimes the mot "turning plates" need to be used

as for what position....use both as theres that many to check and some might only show play in a certain position

Possibly the track rod itself? Mine was making a clunking sound and there was movement (3 & 9 position) when i had it jacked up! Turned out the inner ball joint of the track rod was worn, also an 07 plate, only done 40000 miles!