Clio 200 engine rattle/knocking noise

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
Hello,

So this first happened maybe a month ago, but it only happened once on startup for a few seconds, so there wasn't really anything I could do.
It started happening about 5 days ago and progressively got worse, now it happens every time and happens sporadically for about 15 minutes until the engine gets warmer and then it stops.

Here's a video of it happening.

I've done a bit of research on here and seen a few different things it could possibly be; dephaser pulley, big end bearings or piston slap?, but I don't really know how to diagnose either of these things as from watching videos of these problems they all sound quite similar.

I've only had the car about 3 months, 4 weeks of which recently it's been in the garage for various different problems (new gearbox, braking fault and a new lambda sensor).
When I got it back from the Garage about a week ago I noticed the engine oil was low, about 0.5cm from min, but because it's been in and out of the garage I'd not had chance to sort it out. so I nipped to my local Renault and picked up some engine oil and filled it to the max line. Could running near min for potentially 4 weeks or so have caused the damage? (I know I should have checked it sooner, but it's something I couldn't to do whilst the car was in the garage for so long).

Can anybody provide any input on what the rattling/knocking noise sounds like?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Simplest way to test would be to have someone start the car, bonnet up,while you hold a screw driver to your ear and against the cambelt cover. The Dephaser is nearest the bumper so that would be simple to diagnose. Bearings and Piston slap noise would come from deeper down. Test the Dephaser first. I cant see the video hence my guessing

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Simplest way to test would be to have someone start the car, bonnet up,while you hold a screw driver to your ear and against the cambelt cover. The Dephaser is nearest the bumper so that would be simple to diagnose. Bearings and Piston slap noise would come from deeper down. Test the Dephaser first. I cant see the video hence my guessing

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
[MENTION=3159]fano45[/MENTION] So from what I can tell, it sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine bay towards the left side of engine.

How come you can't see the video? Do you get any sort of error? The link works ok for me?

Noticed similar issues tonight...

Anyone with any greater input on this..

Cambelt kit full replaced by dealer before buying the car sub 1 month ago..

That sounds too heavy for a de phaser but might be wrong. dephasers rattle not knock. fifty p on big end

I'd only noticed it tonight obviously when it's could there's a automatic choke that runs and the idle went up to 1200/1300 with the noise there, but once it was warm it disappeared but upon revving the engine up to around 3k and then letting it run back down the revs to idle you can here a singular knocking sound, which I thinks coming from the bay rather than underneath/exhaust area..

That sounds too heavy for a de phaser but might be wrong. dephasers rattle not knock. fifty p on big end
I'd only noticed it tonight obviously when it's could there's a automatic choke that runs and the idle went up to 1200/1300 with the noise there, but once it was warm it disappeared but upon revving the engine up to around 3k and then letting it run back down the revs to idle you can here a singular knocking sound, which I thinks coming from the bay rather than underneath/exhaust area..
Well if noise goes when you rev it that sounds more promising. a big end is either shot or not as far as making a noise goes. best thing to do is drain oil into a container and see if any metal in it

My cars been with garage for about 3 months now, and they said they fixed this issue but I've not had chance to have a chat with them about what was causing the noise.

When I pick it up hopefully on Friday I'll update on here as to what it was.

doesnt sound like dephaser but cant tell for sure
interesting one ,update when you know what it was
quick question -is your car stayed all these 3months ONLY for this issue??

Well fingers crossed this uploads properly... :/

This is the sound I'm getting from a cold start.

Seems to be continual under load when accelerating but once warmed on idle you can rev and there's little to no sound at all..

The underload sounds is like a continual rattle which only happens on acceleration.. :/

Would it also be if help that within the cabin when stationery, there can be a vague whiff of fumes.. Could it possibly be the flexis that are leaking and creating this noise..?

Well fingers crossed this uploads properly... :/

This is the sound I'm getting from a cold start.

Seems to be continual under load when accelerating but once warmed on idle you can rev and there's little to no sound at all..

The underload sounds is like a continual rattle which only happens on acceleration.. :/
That sounds like manifold cracked.

Reactions: Foxspeed
this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not saying that's all it is but def sounds like it and it's higher up than flexis. Shine a light down back of engine from the top pref when engine cold and get a small mirror like a makeup mirror and you should see at least one branch cracked

Top stuff, I'll have a look asap..

What are they Mild steel.. would a weld or to around it resolve it short term if required..?

And what ms the causes on this, and aye forward to stop it happening again, powerflex mounts / new stainless mani etc etc..

Top stuff, I'll have a look asap..

What are they Mild steel.. would a weld or to around it resolve it short term if required..?

And what ms the causes on this, and aye forward to stop it happening again, powerflex mounts / new stainless mani etc etc..
You cannot weld it in situ or you may damage cylinder head.so replace manifold with toyo or something. Either way it's a Renault so will cost you more than a shilling to fix. Then probably you need to upgrade engine mounts. Although I suspect they are just naff manifolds so don't need engine mount for that reason but do for flexis wearing out

Is there any specific manifold people have had issues with in the past or are most of a decent structure..? Where are most sources eBay.?

Sorry for all the daft questions, feel so unattached as I used to know the old pug inside out and all this is new and only had the car just over a month to date...

Is there any specific manifold people have had issues with in the past or are most of a decent structure..? Where are most sources eBay.?

Sorry for all the daft questions, feel so unattached as I used to know the old pug inside out and all this is new and only had the car just over a month to date...
Toyo sports most cost effective

I had same issues a few weeks after buying mine. I just swallowed the cost and got on with it. so glad as it so good a car to drive