Knocking noise from front left hand wheel area

I have had a knocking noise for a while from the front of my 2007 197, changed inner tie rods and track rod ends and the noise seamed better but I have since noticed it's still there, getting worse than it was before. (There is no play in the wheels now tho so changing those parts wasn't a complete waste of time) is ight be coming from inside the rack where the inner tie rod screws in would this make sense and if so anyone go any info on what it might be? I seen a bush that goes in there maybe that? Thanks in advance for any input

It's possible it could be a shock. I had a faint knock come from N/S/F and it gradually got louder, becoming more pronounced going over speed ramps etc. Turns out the shock is leaking.

Sounds the worst when going slow and when turning on rough bits of road, like coming out a junction etc. I will check the shock and top mount this weekend thanks guys

No unfortunately I have had it checked on the ramp twice, fitted bottom ball joints, track rods and track rod ends and it is still doing it, must be shocks or top mounts that's all that's left to check.

Annoying. Apparently you can't feel play in a dead shock absorber until you remove it either. Another one it could be is the top mounts perhaps?

When I had a similar sounding problem it was the shock that was gone. [MENTION=3002]-Eddie-[/MENTION] had some fun trying to find it too.

I have checked everything else so must be the shock or top mount, iv had a leaver in at all bushes, drop links etc all usual suspects and there is nothing

I have the same coming from both fronts on my 2007 197. Noticeable at low speeds on slight undulations rather than big bumps. Car has had track rod ends done recently by previous owner.

Luckily dampers are only £50-£60 each plus top mounts so not a huge expense

Me too. Only front left side. It doesn't thud over bumps or anything but at say 30mph on crappy surfaces it kinda sounds 'loose' if that makes sense. I've had it in the air and checked the drop links and other bits and no movement at all so must be a shock or top mount. Is it an arse to change these?? Also does anyone have part no. for genuine Renault top mount and cup damper (i assume the cup damper is different to FF model)?

Thanks dude. Was it really noticeable while driving before or were the symptoms as we have described above?

Spoke to another chap with a similar problem today and his was a top mount. Anyone know how much a new OEM one from Renault is?

Same symptoms as you've described never relie felt much different but I drove with the damaged shock for about 8 months so may have got used to it, i think a top mount is around £50 which is amazing considering its almost completely made of plastic!

That'll be why they are dogsh*t then if made of plastic! So it's either shock or top mount. Tedious. So need to buy a part that may not necessarily need changing. Is it a big job to do?