Knock noise but only after car wash

fano45

Paid Member
Hi guys - Clio 197

Hope u can help as i am absolutely stumped.

After i have the car washed in an automated car wash(the one u drive through), dunno what u Brits call it. anyway immediately after i can hear a loud knock (hollow metallic like sound) from the front drivers side, RHD.
I had the suspension checked and all seemed well except for lower engine mounting, which i replaced. knock is still there.

Reason im confused is because i only here it after the car wash or in heavy rain.

Your guess is as good as mine

Hi guys - Clio 197

Hope u can help as i am absolutely stumped.

After i have the car washed in an automated car wash(the one u drive through), dunno what u Brits call it. anyway immediately after i can hear a loud knock (hollow metallic like sound) from the front drivers side, RHD.
I had the suspension checked and all seemed well except for lower engine mounting, which i replaced. knock is still there.

Reason im confused is because i only here it after the car wash or in heavy rain.

Your guess is as good as mine

Noooooooooooooooooooo :swear: :foxspeed:

Can't think of anything that could be the problem though tbh.

Thats weird. A few of us 200 owners have the inverse problem: a mysterious knock from the front left on speed bumps and other similar anomalies that seems to go away for a while after a wash or heavy rain (!)

i was (maybe still am) having a slight metallic "tinkling" which i can hear at slow speeds from OSR. One of my wheel arch liner screws had come out during a recent detail (i always get in about it under the arches :smile: ) and one had come off. Replaced the item today but no idea if this has solved it or not and tbh the noise doesn't compute with a plastic arch liner but it might be something to eliminate.

was that for me roy? you might be right. the best way i could describe it was a noise like one of the wheel nuts was really loose and it was tinking about inside the wheel.

was that for me roy? you might be right. the best way i could describe it was a noise like one of the wheel nuts was really loose and it was tinking about inside the wheel.

Had mine 4yrs now and when it's washed or been standing in the rain it always makes that noise.hard on the brakes a few times and it stops.still comes back though. French

hmm, its not there all the time so this might be it! Think i'll coppaslip up the pads anyway to keep them from squealing. at least if it is this its nothing to worry about :smile:

Cheers

hmm, its not there all the time so this might be it! Think i'll coppaslip up the pads anyway to keep them from squealing. at least if it is this its nothing to worry about :smile:

Cheers

That's what we try and do every six months just clean down the brakes and apply the coppers ip stuff

Metallic tinkling at low speeds could also originate from the brake pads, specifically the springs used to hold them in place.

Sounds like its coming from the engine bay. Think its my top stabiliser bar. Metal arm is loose from the rubber