Keeping up?!?

Nashy

Platinum Member
Been on a my first few meets recently all 182's and a R26 and im struggling to keep up with the guys im no rally driver tbh but i wouldnt say i was a slouch:scared:! these are standard motors too i even struggled against a trophy on i bypass what am i doing wrong?!?;/ lol

Nashy

Nothing, need to use the whole rev range with the 197, unless im really reving the **** out of mine it doesnt really seem to move.

Just matched my inlets, going to be investing in an exhaust and remap to try and increase the torque and bhp (a little).

My 182 was so much faster than my 197. :worried:

Edit: although my 197 seems to be faster than all the 172's i have played with.

no cant have been I smoked a 182 trophy the other week he only passed me when i lifted off

i may aswell bolt my foot to my throttle pedal, ive only been passed by a meg 225 and a supercharged 172 out of the renault sport range

182s are not to be under estimated, huge weight and aerodynamic advantage over 197s :worried:

in my experience it's about identical performance upto 100 mph when the 197 starts to drop off abit.

Bit of both they have me in the twistys and straights!!

Nashy

Well,that's interesting.

About straights, i haven't tried with any other renaultsport except one other 197 and i was gaining on him 10 cm per second because he was like 200 pounds :thumbup1:.

As for the twisties, i haven't had the priviledge to race anyone going nearly as fast as me even though i meet some ''Toivonen wannabes'' with S3's and GTI's that think they are going fast but they are not really.(To be righteous with them, maybe they don't know the road well and are a little too much precautious).

But having a former Acropolis rally stage 1min away from home, i do practice alone a lot..

So the most important thing ,as far as i'm concerned,is mastering heel-toe.
If you cant take full advantage of the awesome brakes of the 197 ,and also be on the right gear at the right time, you are doomed.Mastering Heel toe will help you do both better , faster and leave a little piece of your brain thinking about other things too ,like working the steering wheel, assessing road surface condition and maybe even avoiding the deer that's crossing the road.. :scared:

i think you shouldnt worry about it !!

drive to the speed and conditions YOU feel right with and the capabilities of your car - dont over drive or race to keep up !!!

i have been on plenty of drives out and resist the temptation to match someone who is quite obviously going to keep going faster to put a distance on you.....a dangerous game !!!

what you will find after time you will be able to make up time on corners and the brakes without having to go like a rocketship on the straights

Had the pleasure of going for it down the twisties with a very irresponsible 182 owner and after about 6 minutes his brakes faded and started smoking lol, which left the door wide open for me to cruise on by :tongueout:

im not talking about going nuts (although!) but just setting off and stuff they just pull away i dont know it must be me lol!!

Nashy

no cant have been I smoked a 182 trophy the other week he only passed me when i lifted off

My 182 was mental fast thanks, was bang on with a k-tec ITB'd trophy. was 194bhp with 160ft torque.

Stripped rear end on 15inch wheels. Straight through exhaust, matched inlets coilovers, with a 45 degree induction. And mapped by k-tec.

Pissed my mates 197 cup by about 6 car lengths to 100.

My 182 was mental fast thanks, was bang on with a k-tec ITB'd trophy. was 194bhp with 160ft torque.

Stripped rear end on 15inch wheels. Straight through exhaust, matched inlets coilovers, with a 45 degree induction. And mapped by k-tec.

Pissed my mates 197 cup by about 6 car lengths to 100.

not exactly like for like then !

What and that vs a standard trophy is?:

Fully Loaded 197 | Recaros | Xenons | CC | Cup pack | ITG Panel Filter | Miltek De-Cat System | Re-map | Soon to have Polished and Ported Cylinder head | High Lift Cams | Carbon Bonnet |Braided Brake Lines | A 2 Piece KTR brake upgrade | Red stuff All Round | R26 Wheels (powder coated in Gunmetal grey) | KW Coilovers

What and that vs a standard trophy is?:

Fully Loaded 197 | Recaros | Xenons | CC | Cup pack | ITG Panel Filter | Miltek De-Cat System | Re-map | Soon to have Polished and Ported Cylinder head | High Lift Cams | Carbon Bonnet |Braided Brake Lines | A 2 Piece KTR brake upgrade | Red stuff All Round | R26 Wheels (powder coated in Gunmetal grey) | KW Coilovers

not disputing that - should be standard vs standard and also no one is considering how far the other driver is willing to go - not very subjective or fair comparisons going on