Is it worth keeping?

My 200 has been / is up for sale. The reason for sale was that I start uni in September and most of my cash is tied up in the car. I was going to sell, and then look for a cheap 172/182 as a replacement to do trackdays, but this would only sit on the driveway at home and take up space, and we have enough cars already!

My sister has given me a slight lifeline if I wanted. She has offered to go halves in on the 200, she would sell her current Corsa, and then use the 200 as a daily and then the I can use it when I am around, or for trackdays, after she came with me to Bedford she enjoys them too! She is fine with me looking to modify certain bits as well.

The thing I am mulling - is the 200 worth it? The 'numbers' as it were are about the same, by the time I have sold the 200 and purchased a decentish replacement I would be 4K up as it were. My sisters Corsa is worth about 4K.

I suppose what I am trying to see, is investing in the 200 worthwhile? I know modifications to any car are almost worthless, but in terms of parts, and things going wrong. I want to do more trackdays as they are great fun, but then this stresses parts etc. Where they are easily available on the 172's/182's, most parts for a 200 will probably have to come from Renault.

I would have similar long term plans for the cars, getting a decent track set-up - suspension etc, and the possibility of turboing either car (Meg conversion for the 200), yes there is a large cost associated with these, but then it will be doing things properly in a car to keep. For either cars, the future would probably result in solely a track car, with some form of eco car / company car doing the daily work (but that is years and years of yet! haha)

I suppose most of the answers here will be biased :tongueout:
but Keep it? or let it go?

I cant decide, and this post probably hasn't made any sense, but its the sort of thing I can figure out in my head, and need to put on paper as it were.

Sell up, save your sister the hastle of owning a laud track/road car that has many teething problems like: weak engine mounts, manifolds, GEAR BOXES, and buy yourself a half decent 172cup for 2k that can be turned very quickly into a track weapon!!

I agree with Mitchell.
I'd sell up and get a 172/182 for track!

Parts are cheaper and generally more readily available for when it goes wrong too;-)

I've not had too many problems with it *touch wood*
I did drive a 182 back to back with the 200 and the first thing I noticed was the driving position and how much better it was in the 200, and it was a nicer place to be.

The 200 is a much nicer place to be without doubt.
My issue would be keeping it for mainly track use its a big risk. Especially if your sister buys into it.
If you bin the 200 on track you are 9-10k out of pocket! She's without a car that she's given £4500 towards so you'd be into fixing the 200 & buying her a car.
If you sell up and get a 172 for £2500 it's not such a hit if you wrap it up.

If you can afford to keep the 200 then it's a no brainer but for me the 172/182 wins.

What happens when you both want the car or you smack it while on track.Will your sis be ok with that if its her daily ride???
so get rid and save a lot of unwanted hassle

What happens when you both want the car or you smack it while on track.Will your sis be ok with that if its her daily ride???
This would be one my grievances with it, and also what would happen if you both needed the car whilst you were back?
My parents wanted my brother and I to car share after he passed his test (2 years after me) and after weighing it all out it just didn't seem practical and arguments would be inevitable as we would both be 50/50 and feel it was our place to use it.
Depends on how easy going you and your sister are I suppose but I personally would free up the cash and get something you can have insured for when you're back and keep your insurance going for NCB. You can pick up some lovely 172/182 examples with low mileage for £2-3k now you can still have some fun in.

We would be insured on both, the 200 and the corsa. So if I needed a car when being around I could have one.
The other bit with a 172/182 - they are getting on abit now, so how long before I have spent the value of the car in parts? and Where do I keep it? the drive at home would be like a car park, with 2 cars nearly always on the road.
It makes it cheaper sharing the car, as we would split the costs, but yes that is always a slight concern in the back of my mind. If it goes wrong, its going to go badly wrong!
It has been up on AT and PH for 2 weeks. Yes I admit it is optimistically priced at 9K, but then I am after the best price for it. Still hit 1400 view on AT but still nothing. Closer the deadline comes the cheaper the price gets till it has to be taken to a dealer at trade price.
I suppose when I say track use, I mean the RS days and had considered things like the How Fast event, rather than doing one every week!

Might have another chat about it an see, just wanted some opnions of other people, shed some other light on different perspectives :smile:

But you said in your 1st post that she would sell the corsa??

Yeh very true, missed the to my mum bit!

Sorry my fault missed that bit

Currently there are 3 cars between 3 people, 2 of which (me and my mum) wont be used very much. Easier to have 2 cars between 3.

Mate look at the risks, were giving them to you. Yes in the long run you will spend the cost of the car in parts,but you will on any car over time, and parts are much cheaper and easier to come by for the 172/182 over the 197/200. Let your sis get herself a nice new toy and get yourself a cheap 172cup and strip it into a absaloute weapon!!!

Similar Thread Suggestions