Jerky/kangarooing when cold? It might be worth checking this out!

Funny it was by accident I discovered this. I bought a very basic OBD-II code scanner, for some problem on a different car.

So, because that car wasn't available at that time, I thought I would test the OBD-II scanner on my car. To my surprise actually, I got 2 error codes. They both involved "misfire". But ofcourse, that could be anything. I started by looking for a ruptered hose, or a leak or something like that.

When I got around the inlet manifold, I looked underneath, and saw a quite large mess. Around the fuel rail and injectors, I saw a big leak. A puddle of dirty liquid. So I started to disassemble the inlet manifold, and noticed that the gasket was intact, but you could see that some liquid had seeped through. The fuel rail, which is attached with 2 bolts, showed some tolerance.

After cleaning and securing everything, the 2 error codes were gone. BUT also, the jerky behavior when cold ! Ofcourse, I knew it was a common problem, that when the engine is cold, the car would jerk quite heavily, and the colder the weather, the worse it seemed.

But even in this freezing weather, the improvement is huge ! Seems to me, the problem was that the bolts of the inlet manifold became loose over time, and there was a leakage, and the car reacted to that.

I'm not saying that everyone's jerky/kangarooing behavior is because of this, but maybe it is a common problem, and it might be worth checking this out.

I included some pictures to show you what I mean.

nzm87a.jpg

6rj582.jpg

mskfpz.jpg

mm3pn5.jpg

mq39u.jpg

rbb7kj.jpg

mine never leaked and it kangerood, it normal on them, that more like oil then fuel, which is a commom place for it to collect when garges replace the oil and spill it.

i would run some fuel cleaner like bg 44k, just to give the system a clean

if it was petrol you would smell it and it would evapourate off - its either split engine oil or the cam cover sealer is leaking...

if the oil has seeped under the gasket then maybe it was pulling in unmetered air and causing poor running...

however i cannot see it effecting all the cars theres too many with the cold running issue and i know that the manifold on mine is bolted down tight but can still be lumpy when cold!

but still a good write up :wiz:

I've found turning the ESP off helps a lot with this issue. I just keep it off for a few miles then put it back on. Hasn't 'kangaroo'ed' since I started doing this.

Mine does this, however it's very inconsistent. One morning it will be fine, the next will be bad. same weather, same temperature, same car, same driver, same roads etc.

I love French cars!

Hand on heart, I can say my car very very rarely kangeroos. I think it has more to do with how you drive them when cold. (Not that I'm saying I'm a better driver than people suffering from kangerooing)

Come its easy to solve!

foot on gas, 7.5k revs, drop clutch = no kangaroo

simples.

the 06 plate cars drive slightly better i think as they are a bit dirtier on emissions when cold...

Takes 5 minutes to get to the car to temp where it doesn't jolt.

Slight difference on 4 hours :smile:

cold running being crap is a lot down to the VVT being totally disabled from cold. This is intended to warm the engine quicker from cold (high EGTs) but also makes it poor to drive for a few minutes.