197: in car track day camera

I think it's MsV who ban suction mounts of any kind thus how at knock hill a track Scotland venue you can do as you please

It's MsVs call all timing equiptment is banned on MsV today's as are suction mounts

Have you been on one? Last year as long as if was a decent mount and not a home made rubber band one it was fine.

I'd be very disappointed if that had changed.

Yes trackday with MSV, as in when did the ban come into affect?

My last one was November with an iPhone on a suction cup on the inside of the windscreen which they checked was stable and off I went.

Yes trackday with MSV, as in when did the ban come into affect?

My last one was November with an iPhone on a suction cup on the inside of the windscreen which they checked was stable and off I went.

It's not just a track day with MSV as MsV own the tracks so same rules apply regardless of venue on a msv track

They should not have let that go ban has been like that for a year or so after a camera came loose hit someone in the face and caused them to crash

I total I did about 15/20 track days last year and it was the same on all msv days

Check their website for more info it will be in their t and c s somewhere

But to re iterate its a msv thing so circuit specific and the marshal who work for msv should check the mount and not allow any suction mounts for anything

Hth

Ref the OP - as for cameras themselves, GoPros are very good, class leading bits of kit. Especially the latest no.3 version. DriftCams are also very good and slightly cheaper I believe. Try dogcam.com.
As you'll have read above it is pretty difficult to film any kind of trackday these days without 'mechanical' fixing which is basically screws and bolts etc. realistically a roll cage is the easiest way, other than you may have to use your imagination lol.

It's not just a track day with MSV as MsV own the tracks so same rules apply regardless of venue on a msv track

They should not have let that go ban has been like that for a year or so after a camera came loose hit someone in the face and caused them to crash

I total I did about 15/20 track days last year and it was the same on all msv days

Check their website for more info it will be in their t and c s somewhere

But to re iterate its a msv thing so circuit specific and the marshal who work for msv should check the mount and not allow any suction mounts for anything

Hth

Yes i know it says no cams on the T&Cs but i'm sure you went on the official RS trackdays and on EVERYONE during the driver briefing NOT ONCE was it said you couldn't use them and i specifically remember at both bedford and brands they 100% said they were ok provided it was a secure cup and just get it checked before going out.

I didn't go to oulton or silverstone so can't say so but there are videos on youtube of the days from inside the car so i see no reason to suggest they weren't allowed.

which i ask if it is now stated in the driver briefing.

Yes i know it says no cams on the T&Cs but i'm sure you went on the official RS trackdays and on EVERYONE during the driver briefing NOT ONCE was it said you couldn't use them and i specifically remember at both bedford and brands they 100% said they were ok provided it was a secure cup and just get it checked before going out.

I didn't go to oulton or silverstone so can't say so but there are videos on youtube of the days from inside the car so i see no reason to suggest they weren't allowed.

which i ask if it is now stated in the driver briefing.

Briefing content depends on organiser

I've been to a few MSV days with the camera on the dash (effectively glued) had a chap at Cadwell comment on it but beyond me explaining it wasn't going anywhere that's it.

Briefing content depends on organiser

Without been funny but your basing you info on T&C and depends on organiser?

EVERY MSV trackday I've been on you have been allowed reputable suction camera and mobile phone mounts. Which is why I asked is it been based of fact and not hearsay.

^^^ +1.

I've seen suction mounts get the thumbs up at both Oulton Park and Bedford Autodrome in 2012. In both cases they were Go Pro setups.

The setup I use is a Kodak Zi8 HD camera (roughly the size of an iPhone) and a Manfretto Superclamp headrest mount. Works well and half the price of a Go Pro. The only issue I have with it is that it seems a bit too much zoomed in on its most zoomed out setting. Although to be honest if I could be arsed to read the instructions then I'd probably be able to change that anyway!!! :smiley:

Without been funny but your basing you info on T&C and depends on organiser?

EVERY MSV trackday I've been on you have been allowed reputable suction camera and mobile phone mounts. Which is why I asked is it been based of fact and not hearsay.

Well they should have not as msv have banned them

I am right on this .....

I can't comment on the consistency of enforcement

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=781473

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-428387.html

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=18&t=827063

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1161990

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1120682&d=11782.33262&nmt=

Last edited:
I had also heard at Oulton Park in 2011 that they were banned, it was mentioned in the briefing. But like I say, at two ClubMSV events since then I've seen them be let be. I guess it depends on the quality of the kit, maybe they know that Go Pro are pretty much the go-to people when it comes to these cameras now so use a bit of discretion if it is suckered onto a suitbale area of the car/dashboard.

+1. They WONT let you use a suction mount, not at Brands, Cadwell, Oulton. It's in the safety briefing!

9 times out of 10, you will not be allowed to use suction mounts so what's the point?. A fixed mount isn't expensive and works better. The only places I've been where suction pads were allowed were Donnington & Bedford (RS evening). When I was last at Bedford with Javelin the rules were no suction.

Javlin don't let you use suction mounts, they do ask if you have ANY cameras in the car you let them check it out first.

At the ring, they'll hire you a go pro and you get a coloured circular sticker for your car.

If you had your own go pro you'd only have the circular sticker missing :thumbsup: