197: in car track day camera

Whats the best sort of track day camera you can buy which tracks will allow you to have in the car....I heard Go pro ones are quite good but heard you can only mount them in certain places. Going to the nurburgring in july and want to make sure i can use a camera to capture the experience.

Any help would be brilliant cheers

Go pro's are great, small robust and give brilliant picture quality. So much so the BBC use them for action shots on board extreme sports etc. For track days most say no suction mounts fixed mount only. Having said that I went to a track day at Donnington the other day and they were happy with suction mounts just as long as it was a "professional" mount.

As for the ring pretty much anything goes on a open to public day.

However iphone holder with Harrys Lap timer App.

^^^^^

This, i love harrys laptimer and i link a obd reader to give the throttle and rev counter data.

oh and not forgetting it times you and submits it to a leader board.

Filming is banned at the TF days at the Nurburgring , and in the new 2013 regs looks like they will be clamping down on anything on window so don't expect to get away with your iPhone In a Suction mount same applies for go pro if found filming fine + ban

Uk days it now has to be solid mounted roll cage riveted to dash etc 'No sto ky mount or suction mounts allowed

Hth

Go pro's are great, small robust and give brilliant picture quality. So much so the BBC use them for action shots on board extreme sports etc. For track days most say no suction mounts fixed mount only. Having said that I went to a track day at Donnington the other day and they were happy with suction mounts just as long as it was a "professional" mount.

As for the ring pretty much anything goes on a open to public day.

Err this is completely wrong ......

Filming is banned at the TF days at the Nurburgring , and in the new 2013 regs looks like they will be clamping down on anything on window so don't expect to get away with your iPhone In a Suction mount same applies for go pro if found filming fine + ban

Uk days it now has to be solid mounted roll cage riveted to dash etc 'No sto ky mount or suction mounts allowed

Hth

Really! Bugger, arrr well can't stop you running an app on your iPhone to plot gps like Harry's lap timer does.

Whats the best sort of track day camera you can buy which tracks will allow you to have in the car....I heard Go pro ones are quite good but heard you can only mount them in certain places. Going to the nurburgring in july and want to make sure i can use a camera to capture the experience.

Any help would be brilliant cheers

I've been using a Go Pro for the last 2 years using a fixed headrest mount (this one):
http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_chm_camcorder_headrest_mount.html

Very solid and no movement (clamped with 4 fasteners). You'd be best getting the Motorsports kit (lots of little suction pads and other accessories). You'd just need the additional tripod mount (link below) as for some reason this isn't in the pack!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_904vyaaafg_e

Most trackday organisers ban suction mounts no matter how well they are fitted which is annoying but there you go.

And be careful if you are planning video at the Ring (put it on after going through the gates, off before coming off).

Cheers

Really! Bugger, arrr well can't stop you running an app on your iPhone to plot gps like Harry's lap timer does.

Last year no but this year as I say marshals are stopping iPhones etc mounted to windscreen friend out there this weekend experienced it first hand

There is no arguing with them

I think it's MsV who ban suction mounts of any kind thus how at knock hill a track Scotland venue you can do as you please

It's MsVs call all timing equiptment is banned on MsV today's as are suction mounts

hmmmm so in some ways i cant really film it at all legally? as i dont have a rollcage and im not gonna ruin my dash lol

hmmmm so in some ways i cant really film it at all legally? as i dont have a rollcage and im not gonna ruin my dash lol

Uk days
Suction mounts externally are ok
Go pro 3m mounts on lower fin etc
There are some options

Ring
All filming is banned
But you can hire a go pro
Not saying there is not a way round it but official lines are that ^

Tbh at the ring I would just go and have a good time , don't worry about filming it the last Ning you need at that place is another distraction