If you could would you start your own business ?

Depends on so many things Carl I've done it but as soon as you take on staff things change!!!! That's why Renault is so sh## 90% of servicing done is just rubbish now you guys have gone iam struggling to find a grange to do mine so yes have a GO Buddy

Yes. Its scary, but I prefers the freedom over a day job. I'm already self employed and whilst it has its down sides (lack of holiday pay is the main one) I love the freedom I get. Want to take a day off for a track day? Done.

Its where the big money is as well. If you can get established and you can manage your business to a good model, you should turn over more than you did PAYE.

Thanks Kevin I think I would just start with what I know and open up a small bodyshop.

Do it Carl.. It's the best time for you to do it with what's happened in your current situation. It's very very hard work and you'll make a massive amount of sacrifices but it's so worth it.

O and did I mention I can supply you carbon and bodykits at trade.. lol

If you want any advice on setting up, hmrc etc, drop me a PM. If I don't know the answer I can point you in the right direction.

Thanks guy's at the moment it all hinges on if I can aquire the site I would like and that could take a bit of time to sort out.

Least you have the experience now, you need to ask yourself why did the old place go bust and where your old place went wrong if your going to open a similar business

100% go for it if you feel its the way forward for you

Go for it Carl I have just recently with my other half, I've moved into bicycles and aftermarket car parts, it's mental crazy getting it all set up but it's exciting non the less, just got to keep you whitts about you, and you have got to get the right staff, as a lot take the piss and suck the life out of small companies

IMO, absolutely... however i cant stress just how important it is to have all the planning and preparation down to an absolute tee. Make sure the business plan is solid and get others to check it over for you. Sounds like a great idea though pal

If all goes to plan I intend to keep the Renault side of things if They will agree to it. Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated.

I would say yes. If you have a skill/expertise and the resources to do it, go for it. I have a small amount of experience of being self-employed, however it didn't work out for me. That was because I didn't plan and therefore know where I wanted my business to go.

If you have sufficient planning and have it all laid out, then I believe it can be successful.

if you can then go for it!

if theres anything you need/help and I can... give us a shout!

I'm a gas engineer and if I had the balls then I would start up myself right away. The lack of a guaranteed wage to pay my mortgage is my only worry, even though I could potentially earn three times the good wage I'm on now.

Pimp, I curb crawled on many occasion out your way with not a sniff of luck.

Going to sign on this morning!!!!!! I am sure its going to be an experience, never done it before and don't intend to do it for long.

Then back to Jeremy Kyle to cheer myself up :rofl:

i deal with commercial property all over the country so can help you with sites and negotiating a good deal for you before you sign any licenses/leases. and of course help you with calculating the costs you could expect with running a shop.

I vote YES too. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've spend all my time and effort at work, just to make someone else money, and then just to have them f*ck things up by running things badly anyway. I'm lucky in that I get a lot of freedoms with my work, and I get respect/acknowledgement from management for my work (god knows I wouldn't put up with the rest of the sh*t otherwise), but given the choice I'd set up my own place tomorrow, be my own boss and have nobody to answer to (and nobody to blame but myself) for everything that happens.

My problem is that my skills are very specific, and only really work on a larger scale so setting up on my own is near impossible (and from the people I know who've done it, not fantastically successful). Whereas I think you have a more focused business model, and a clearer idea of how to set up/make money. Given that chance I'd seize it with both hands!

I vote YES too. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've spend all my time and effort at work, just to make someone else money, and then just to have them f*ck things up by running things badly anyway. I'm lucky in that I get a lot of freedoms with my work, and I get respect/acknowledgement from management for my work (god knows I wouldn't put up with the rest of the sh*t otherwise), but given the choice I'd set up my own place tomorrow, be my own boss and have nobody to answer to (and nobody to blame but myself) for everything that happens.

My problem is that my skills are very specific, and only really work on a larger scale so setting up on my own is near impossible (and from the people I know who've done it, not fantastically successful). Whereas I think you have a more focused business model, and a clearer idea of how to set up/make money. Given that chance I'd seize it with both hands!

Thats exactly how i felt, why put everything i have into lining someone elses pocket and get no satisfactory recognition for it I.E. pay rises, benifits ect, so i said to myself, ive had enough,

which has led me to today, where me and my other half have just received the keys to our unit and paid for our website, to start building a company of our own, do it our way and reward ourselves for all the hard work we put in,

all i can say carl is take the plunge, its scary but im sure you will come out the otherside winning

i deal with commercial property all over the country so can help you with sites and negotiating a good deal for you before you sign any licenses/leases. and of course help you with calculating the costs you could expect with running a shop.

PM sent.